Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have a pretty good laptop (XPS M1530) and I am looking into buying an M-Audio Axiom 49-key. I am not currently having problems running Ableton Live (caps out at 35% cpu usage while running the demo tracks), but I keep hearing about needing special gear for using midi controllers and stuff, like the interface in the post above mine.

According to guitarcenter.com, the Axiom has a USB interface to begin with. Am I still going to need another piece of equipment (other than speakers), or will my laptop alone be good enough, so long as it's able to run the program?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lately I have been putting ideas into fruityloops at home to hold on to ideas quickly so I can do more with them later, but a lot of the time I will get a melody and harmony in my head with no way to put it down before I lose it. I would like something to get this done while I am out without just recording myself humming. Is there a handheld, simple midi sequencer or something like that that would allow me to do that? The only thing I know of like that is the DS Korg program, but I don't really like it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I have an M-Audio Axiom 49 that i cannot figure out how to use with software other than getting it to play some notes. I was under the impression when i bought the thing that it would work effortlessly with Live or whatever came with it, but I never got it to interface properly. Never got a knob to do what i wanted or even have a pad take a drum set. Is there an easy answer to this or am i good selling it cause i am retarded or something?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

h_double posted:

Go to the MIDI/sync tab of Live's preferences, make sure "Track" and "Remote" buttons are turned on for the Axiom.

They are

MixMasterMalaria posted:

What happens when you try to midi map the controls? Also maybe you could post your settings from the midi/sync tab of Live's preferences?

Nothing happens when I try to midi map poo poo. I think the problem might be this INPUT box but it won't let me actually select anything. I remember being able to at least make a sound in a previous install but right now I can't even get the poo poo to connect. I checked the audio tab and the only thing it is letting me select for input is my headset.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Did you try pressing the DUMP button to send the settings to the Axiom?

Yes

colonp posted:

It should be listed under "MIDI ports". To me, it seems like a problem outside of Live (USB port, cable, driver or Axiom itself).

I've tried multiple cables and ports, and I've updated the driver, I would hope it isn't a broken product, poo poo is expensive

update: I found the instructions on doing a factory reset for the Axiom, and now it works. Now to figure Live out.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 8, 2011

• Locked thread