Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Southern Heel posted:

It seems Ableton is a good option for this since I'm not really looking to record instruments; i.e. primarily electronic music. From the face of it , it seems the session view with/without a Push is the greatest divider between Ableton and other tools, but I'm not clear how much of a gimmick this is? If performance and 'easy testing of clips' wasn't a priority, how would Ableton stack up to say, FL Studio? I've got experience with the latter and with Reaper; but as per my post a few months ago really I'm looking to go a) legit and b) for the longer haul than a few tutorial tracks.

Well, ultimately you need a MIDI controller to get any real use out of a DAW. You can use Ableton just fine with most controllers, it's just that Push is purpose-built and gives you a lot more integration, but if you were getting a generic MIDI keyboard for FL you could use it in the same way for Live.

If you're worried about used, just start with the ones they pack in for free with some controllers; sooner or later you'll get a chance at a discounted upgrade because those sorts of sales are inevitable with Ableton. Somewhere over a few years I went from their live lite to Studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

duggimon posted:

That's a really weird statement. Without wanting to start an argument I'd love to know what you mean by that.

Okay, that's a personal mileage thing I guess, but to each their own. I started by plugging in notes by hand and that was often way more tedious than it needed to be and even a cheap keyboard with a couple of pads on top for under a hundred bucks sped up my process.

That was also going on other people I know who had the same idea of all mouse and keyboard and weren't able to get the same playing feedback to suss out how something sounded. Maybe that's my bias from having enough piano to be more comfy the other way, or a workflow that alien.

So yeah, my bad, it can work either way, just don't be surprised if that speeds up your workflow.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

duggimon posted:

I just meant a DAW isn't just for putting MIDI stuff in, when I first started I didn't use and MIDI at all, it was all recorded instruments, still got plenty of use. Even now, while I always have a keyboard set up, I can't actually play it so I still draw in nearly everything, it's not that slow once you get a feel for what the timings in your head look like on screen.

But yeah, if you meant it specifically to the guy who said he only wanted to do electronic music I can see it being a more reasonable statement, though one I don't 100% agree with. I read it as meaning everyone using a DAW ought to have a MIDI controller to get proper use though, which was confusing.

Fair. I should have worded it as "Keep some budget on hand for a MIDI controller, even a super-cheap one, because you may or may not get instantly tired of trying to draw melodies or rhythms with a mouse or firing clips". Some people are fine with that input style, but maybe it's my day job in front of a computer combined with RSI that I try and stay away from a mouse and keyboard at home whenever possible. For me Live sat gathering digital dust until I plugged in a controller.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

actionjackson posted:

Is this something I really need to have right now if I'm just playing around (i'll be doing that for quite a while!)? I get it would be nicer, but I'm trying to not spend TOO much right away. I just got the monitors because I didn't want to listen through headphones all the time. If you think the Behringer thing will work that's probably fine, but otherwise I don't want to overdo it on spending.

edit: Also on the back of my monitors there is a RCA-unbalanced and a TRS-balanced. Which one is better to connect to the audio interface?

thanks

Ideally TRS-balanced if you're running cables of any significant length. And yeah, reducing the volume will help with that; I had gotten some larger monitors and set them at the "recommended" mid-level and the buzz was getting worrysome. Then I realized I had to turn down everything so much going in anyway it was better just dropping the volume most of the time on the monitors and not having to be chasing hums all the time.

• Locked thread