Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

First Time Caller posted:

Avoid pretty much everything.

If you want to go completely digital and just use your laptop, virtual dj is the answer. Or ableton. Although the former is cheaper (and shittier)

Yeah. If you buy a dirt-cheap but quite usable M-Audio X-Session Pro, you get Ableton 6 LE to play around with. With a student discount and USD 239 more you upgrade to Live 7 Full.

Just did it this week, faxed them my details and the serial number was in my inbox the following morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Kai was taken posted:

You really don't need the full version of Live for DJing, unless you also plan on making music with it. The LE version would work fine.

Limits in scene numbers made us buy it, I don't remember the details, but I think it was something ridiculous like 4 or 6.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Ben and Stew posted:

If you're a student you can get sweet academic discounts on Live. I got the Ableton Suite for $500

Also, buying LE and upgrading it with the academic discount will cost you even less.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
Hey guys, here's my first attempt at electronic music production:

Superpose - Beautiful (Discobot Remix)

It's a remix we (me and a friend) made for a local duo, both good friends of ours. We tried to take the original song and shoehorn it into a simple bloghouse banger. It's the very first thing either of us produced, so I'd really appreciate your criticism.

Right off the bat, I'd like to acknowledge a few things I'm not happy about it that we're definitely changing for the next production:

- Drums: Patterns are too simple, kick sounds bad and could use compression
- First "heavy" part after the first verse goes for too long without variation, could be 4 bars shorter
- Mastering: did it at home, learned a lot then realized I'd have to go over the mixing all over again to get it right. I also hear a some stray frequencies, from the synths we made
- It simple: it's a small amount of simple layers

Being the first thing we produced, even with the problems mentioned above I'm pretty happy with the result. Worked on the dancefloor, not much more we can ask for at this stage.

The original is here, if you'd like to see what we were working with:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/9135319fbafb94/

We basically took vocals and the bass melody (played through a synth we made). Oh, and the remix was made with Ableton and Reason, using Rewire (which I'm sure I'll use in another way completely next time).

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

I Dig Gardening posted:

If you already know what you don't like about the track.. then work your rear end off for the next three weeks and come back when YOU think the track is perfect, THEN ask for some friendly construction help. I've found it works better that way, but maybe that's just me.

I've never thought anything I made was perfect, and as I said, despite of the problems listed I was happy with how it turned out and decided it was the time to stop working on it.

My request for criticism had the objective of highlighting things I didn't complain about or notice before.

e: i english gud

aborn fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 12, 2008

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
Ableton Live 8 Preview: http://www.ableton.com/

Haven't finished the video yet, but the Akai controller looks interesting. It's like a Live specific Monome with faders and knobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

mezzir posted:

more pop remix dickery

Sounds really good, but I found that the kick not coming in after the first buildup is really confusing. Specially if you leave that one-shot kick in there. I'd either take out that single kick and empty out the first verse (hi-passing the gently caress out of everything until the kick finally comes in) or I'd just bring in the kick right after the buildup. It's more obvious that way but sometimes obvious works better on the dancefloor.

Sounds fantastic otherwise, though.

• Locked thread