Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pinky
Mar 8, 2002
So I'm interested in making some music, but I'm at a loss as to where I should begin. I'm primarily a bass player, but I'm also going to be getting a guitar to fool around with. I'd like to mess around with some sort of mix of electronic music along with guitar and bass. I guess you could say something like NIN, but I'm not wanting to be some kind of NIN knockoff either. Anyway... where do I start?

Currently I have a decent PC: 2ghz dual-core AMD system, 1.5 GB ram, so-so 5.1 Turtle Beach sound card and a poo poo ton of USB ports. I've got my bass and a guitar on the way. I've also got a Line 6 Tone Port GX for recording the guitar and bass (and maybe some vocals later on). My budget would probably be somewhere in the ballpark of only $200 or so. I'm really interested in learning techniques for recording and mixing while getting to create my own music. This is all just for fun, nothing serious, so I'm not looking to run out and buy a ton of pro-level gear for screwing around in my basement.

I have the music ability and the creativity, I'm just at a loss of where to start with all this DAW software and synths and what the gently caress is an envelope oh god I'm not good with electronic music. This thread has been immensely helpful so far. I've been able to screw around with FLStudio 8's demo and get some simple beats going, but from there I'm lost. I really like FLStudio's interface, so I'm considering sticking with it. The Tone Port came with Ableton Live Lite, but I've yet to give it a try. Should I? Which would be "better" for what I'm trying to do? Is Reaper worth looking into in my situation?

Halp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pinky
Mar 8, 2002

Rkelly posted:

To the guy above me. Use ableton. Run your instruments through it. Then buy a fcb-1010 foot controller. Now your live looping bass and guitar with your feet controlling everything. 100 bones left. Get on craigslist and get a used axiom, keystation, kontrol 49 or something. Cheap usb midi controller with knobs, faders, pads.

Don't just load your program and goof. Make some goals write them down, then complete them one at a time.

This sounds like good advice. But, with all this DAW software, MIDI controlling, beat making, sound sample stuff I'm a total noob. Is Ableton really easy enough to use to just jump in and "make it work?" I'm comfortable with computers and software but so far these DAW programs seem pretty unintuitive to me.

Is Ableton Live Lite going to be able to do what is described above? How does Lite compare with the full version? I'm not able to shell out $500 for software right now, so something less expensive is much more appealing.

• Locked thread