Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6F3nc_I-w4 this song came out a few years ago.

I'm definitely not the hippest dude around, but I still see white labels from time to time. But most of the time, if a dude puts "(dubplate)" on his tracklist, it most likely means its just an mp3 the artists doesn't want released out of the few dudes he gave it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

IanTheM posted:

http://strangersong.bandcamp.com/

Releasing a bunch of remixes I've done (well, 4) for freeeeee. Hope you guys enjoy. (It's dubstep/uk garage type stuff).

Very classy dude, I love them. That 2nd track especially. You've come a long way with your hats. Very clean. You really feel the 2step.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

colonp posted:

So that's just how it is with headphones I guess? Bummer.

Ya, in my experience, you really shouldn't mix on headphones. It messes with your perception of the music and it changes so much from headphone to headphone. Get some nice reference monitors.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

trill rear end posted:

i think im loosing grip on reality

ahahah, definitely. that breakdown is insanity. pretty good, but kinda corny/haunted house. i love it, personally, but i love corny & crazy things.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

now that you say it, that is definitely a pervasive vibe.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

PCs have firewire ports, but what specifically are you looking to get the interface for? Just for djing, just for running one mixer in to? You've gotta consider how many inputs you're gonna need, what type of inputs (will rcas be fine? are you gonna need a bunch of xlrs for mics?) I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the devices you start looking at picking up are USB.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

that made me smile ear to ear :)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

Sorry no, I don't mean I'm DJing. What I mean is I am remixing and sequencing an electronic song I made into a club mix.

Anyway I was just told by a DJ friend of mine it's most optimal to have a "32 count" intro and outro..

Does this mean NO instruments should kick and and nothing should change at all for those 32 bars?

It really really depends on the style you're making. If you're making a drum and bass song or a 2step garage song, no one's going to be able to mix it if the intro is too busy. But the intro really sells the drop 95% of the time. You can't just half rear end it, start with the drums, add in your instruments and just build it up. It takes a little more nuance and creativity than that. 32 bars is probably about right for an intro. You could do more no problem, but probably don't do much less.

But the outro IS mechanical like that. DJs aren't going to be playing your track until it runs out. If you're really club centric, be nice and give them a predictable outro. That's that kinda situation where you'll simply break down the song and run the drums solo for like 8-16 bars.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

oredun posted:

wow, i thought it was going to be good and it took the worst direction possible. the sample was good(very pretty lights sounding) and then the drums kick in and you just lost me.

so i suggest you make the drums just real simple kick-snare-kick-snare type deal and go from there.

just my opinion tho.
Agreed. steppah, you are just going TOO NUTS with the future garage swing idea. The open hats are just completely off and distract from the rest of the song.

I think every other measure or so, you need an extra kick drum in there. Before that last snare, you need a kick right before it. If the kicks sounds just a little bit more hip hop-y, it'd rule! You also gotta switch up the patterns more. Make your 4th snare hit a beat late or something. More variation the patterns, less plodding.

A good, moody, swelling futuregarage start, but you aint ready to tour with Starkey yet!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Dicky B posted:

Yeah, FL Studio's synths aren't very good. Sorry if that comes off as sounding quite fanboyish. I think FL Studio is a pretty great piece of software but I've never got on at all with the built in synths. Even generating a simple sine wave tone on its own with the 3osc synth seems to result in an audible distortion.
Hey thanks :)
I don't know man, I don't know what your or his problem with Sytrus is. It just makes the noises you tell it to make! I don't know what the hell you're doing to max a 3osc pumping sine waves sound distorted.

Like I get people problem with FL's bundled synths and why the prefer other things, but I don't think it's fair to write of Sytrus as garbage or a lesser synth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Ok, I had this idea for a project I want to do where I sample lovely/stupid songs and make them really glitchy/bizarre. Not the most original idea in the world but I'm having fun with it. I have one track mostly finished and I wanted to get some opinions if anyone has time to check it out and let me know what's up.

http://soundcloud.com/second-suitor/rock-and-roll
Pretty excellent. I'd say is you gotta do is make it seem a little less like it's just glitchy drums played over a normal song, but I do that all the time. All my album are basically your format: Speed up or slow down the vocals, put drums everywhere, upload the mp3s on a website.

• Locked thread