Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Electro house only exists now because producers of actual electro. And by producers I mean Anthony Rother. And the poo poo he does is NOT housey one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm trying out Ableton Live, what's the best way to go to make bangin' techno type sounds? I loaded techsas in Impulse to get the kick/bass/hh, but I'm also looking for your standard ride cymbal sound that is present a lot in these kind of tracks. I'm finding this software very intimidating with all the options! Thanks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

stun runner posted:

You're going to want a drum library of some kind. Vengeance Essential Club Sounds is a good one that Yoozer recommended (I think) but there are a million of them, and you can probably find some free drum hits online to start out.

Thanks. So are the packs that come with the software not that great on their own?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've been listening to electronic music almost exclusively for the last... 17 years or so. However the few attempts I've had at production never went anywhere. I find myself so overwhelmed by everything that it just feels hopeless. Right now I have Logic Pro X on my MBA. I'm wondering what the next step is from here. I don't have monitors but I have some Sennheiser headphones. Honestly I open up the software and I am totally clueless. It looks like it wants me to plug in a MIDI keyboard? Is that what I should buy first? I don't want to spend too much until I decide if I can really do it...

Also is there a good tutorial you'd recommend for Logic? I found several on youtube. Also wondering if getting an actual "tutor" would be a good idea. Not sure how much it would cost though.

Thanks

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 6, 2018

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for all the replies. Is there a MIDI keyboard you would recommend as the first piece of hardware?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sea of losers posted:

akai mpk25 is p nice for basic melody lines and it has drumpads and knobs. korg probably has equivalents if you want korg poo poo

Thanks. What about the mpk mini? Will that not have some necessary functionality that the 25 has?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What's a good number of keys?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The akai 49 is a bit pricy for me but I assume buying a used one is fine? The 25 key is more in my budget. At least right now.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is the main point of more keys that you have more things you can control at once? Is each key and pad just controlling a certain function in your software?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got an MPK Mini and learned about how to quantize. Then I found out about the ultrabeat drum machines which is what I'm going to be starting with, being a techno person. I found a pretty helpful video about using the sequencer. I also successfully utilized the octave +/- buttons on my new controller. I made some sounds that weren't totally horrible so I consider today to be a major success :coolfish:

I think drum machines and then probably some acid sounds are the two biggest things I'm interested in starting with. I'm still overwhelmed by all the options but trying to keep focused my following youtube guides.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got a pair of studio monitors. I plugged them into my MBA which was fine except there was some buzzing. Apparently I need an audio interface. What would you recommend here? Focusrite?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MrSargent posted:

A Focusrite 2i2 was my first interface and it worked great. One thing to consider is how many inputs you will need. Are you planning to do any recording either from a microphone or instrument? 2 inputs is usually plenty for someone starting out since there usually isn’t a great need to record multiple instruments simultaneously.

No, not at all. I just have a MIDI controller plugged into the USB, no other hardware. So I was going to get their simplest but even that was $99.

https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Sc...words=focusrite

What about the cheaper Behringer ones? i.e.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UM...dpSrc=srch&th=1

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MrSargent posted:

I don’t have any experience with Behringer interfaces but it is hard to argue with that price. The only thing I noticed though is that it looks like you can only connect the interface to your monitors via RCA, but honestly I don’t know if that matters.

Yeah, so would I need a separate cable? Right now I have the cord that attaches to the monitors (one is red, other is grey) and then there's a plug for my headphone jack on my computer on the other side.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MrSargent posted:

Yah you would just need a standard stereo RCA cable, instead of one that goes to a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Okay thanks. Looking at the Focusrite solo (the smallest one), it looks like that also requires RCA to connect the speaker to the interface.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is this something I really need to have right now if I'm just playing around (i'll be doing that for quite a while!)? I get it would be nicer, but I'm trying to not spend TOO much right away. I just got the monitors because I didn't want to listen through headphones all the time. If you think the Behringer thing will work that's probably fine, but otherwise I don't want to overdo it on spending.

edit: Also on the back of my monitors there is a RCA-unbalanced and a TRS-balanced. Which one is better to connect to the audio interface?

thanks

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 24, 2018

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Update: I set the volume on the back of the monitors a bit lower, like -15 dB. That seems to have resolved the buzzing when no sound is being played.

In logic my output latency is 5.4s, 9.8ms round trip at 128 buffer size. So if I'm recording something (say I'm changing an attack with one of the controller knobs) that means there will be a small delay between when it's being recorded and when I hear it coming out of the monitors?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with my current setup for now. I've made some progress with ultrabeat and gotten more samples for that. Working a bit on the alchemy synth now which is at least somewhat intuitive for me.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Has anyone used the Native Instruments Komplete 6 audio interface? There's a guy selling one on craiglist for 150, which is the same price as a new focusrite 2i2.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Apparently if you buy used NI equipment you have to get the original owner to transfer the registration and all sorts of stupid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The craiglist seller for that disappeared, but I got the Focusrite and got the 2i2 so I could use TRS cables. It's really nice, plugged it in and everything worked pretty much instantly.

• Locked thread