Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pengO
Apr 15, 2003

get weird, turn pro
i run a serato setup with a pretty mediocre mixer and set of tables and i've been trying to figure out the best way to record my mixes. one way i've done it is to split my rca cables coming out of the mixer, run them to a rca->1/8" converter, and plug into the line in on a macbook pro and record in garageband. today i worked out a setup using audio recorder where i just plugged into the line in on the black macbook i usually mix on. it seems though that the line in on the macbook gets saturated very easily. is there another way or some kind of device i could buy for greater fidelity in my recordings or should i just turn down the master volume on my mixer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pengO
Apr 15, 2003

get weird, turn pro

mezzir posted:

Does the recording sound right if you turn the master volume down? If so thats probably your best bet, that and turn the speakers up so you can hear it. Unless you have two outputs on your mixer (this is ideal) so one goes to the speakers and one goes to the laptop for recording. When I'm recording stuff off my decks I have one cable connecting my laptop to the booth out of my mixer and then the speakers go through the master out, that way i can control both volumes separately. So basically, depends on what kind of mixer you got.

word, i have a cheap piece of poo poo numark mixer with only one output so i guess i'll just try loving around with volumes before i record again. thanks.

Wykyd Sceptre posted:

I have a "record" output on my mixer, and this is what I use. It goes from RCA to 1/8" straight into my laptop.

Pengo are you running MP3's only out of your Serato setup? If so, have you tried the recording feature that comes in Serato. I admit I never use it for recording mixes, but I use a combination of regular vinyl and MP3's.

i haven't even heard that serato had a recording feature, how do i get to it? i only use mp3s but i can't imagine how it would work since serato doesnt know what's going on at the mixer.

pengO
Apr 15, 2003

get weird, turn pro

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

I have 0 talent and I'm horribly uncreative. Whats the best way to start just to learn the programs and poo poo? I was thinking of remixing stuff or something, what would be the best program for loving with somebody elses music and trying to pass it off as my own?

even though all your friends are totally into soulwax remixes and justice and remixing seems like a great way to get some rear end this too shall pass and you'll be left alone, sobbing and holding a battered midi controller, stripped of all your pride and wearing nothing but your 300 dollar dior jeans

• Locked thread