Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
matblack
Jul 19, 2003

Great thread for beginners. I have a question a little off of elec music creation but felt it still worht asking here.

I bought a Dell Vostro 1500 recently and the line in/line out is just shocking. There is massive interference when you plug headphones in for example, but the interference does not affect the in built speakers.

I can't find any fixes to this around so I am currently looking at purchasing a cheap but reliable USB audio interface to bybass the inbiult jacks. All that I really need this for is sound out and the occasional line in record for a guitar or voice.

Is something like this acceptable: http://www.thomann.de/nl/maudio_transit_usb_audiointerface.htm ?

Or are the cheaper and better options out there? I wasn't planning on spending too much as I am looking to get the Axiom 25 as my first MIDI controller ( I was going to get something cheaper to see if I enjoy using a controller, but thought I should get something decent to really know), I have always been more a guitar guy, but looking to try new things since I was given Reason 3 from a friend.

Any help in this area would be appreciated, I'm rather new to external hardware and used to just plug my amp straight into line in on the pc (I'm not super anal about having the worlds greatest quality if it saves money for other things)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matblack
Jul 19, 2003

Stux posted:

If you're running on an intel system try to avoid USB soundcards if you can, they dont keep up a good usb transfer rate and give burst errors. Nothing really serious, but annoying sometimes.

Really, I never heard of this before. How bad is it? I am not looking to push anything massive through it, I can only invision one instrument in and sound out.

• Locked thread