Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Used Juno 60 or 106. Maybe the Xiosynth for 299. It is badass and has 11 knobs and a touchpad. It is a 3 oscillator with a ton of waveforms. It has nice fat folter distortion. I love it. Plus it's a decent audio interface, and can do hybrid midi/hardware synth at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I hear lots of electronic artists make the climax of their song first. Then use interesting arrangements, one shots, and samples to work their way back. That way it climaxes like a real trance song or what not. Seems to work in my opinion.

I usually use a combo of massive and fm7 to make a patch for a bass or lead, then run them together thru a send and record the output. Then I will either keep the part I made or drop it in sampletank or simpler and replay the part.

I think mixing a few synthesis types makes some wild sounds. Usually takes a lot of eqing and filtering though.

You can sidechain compress the bass with the kick or actually duck the volume in the automation settings then copy paste the automation across the song. Both work, and both sound different.

Anyone who hasnt mapped the arpeggiator note type (1/32, 1/16 etc) to a knob while a lead riff is playing and tweaked it is missing out.

Another cool trick is playing with the loop size and length on a vocal track to make instant cut ups in ableton.

I believe there is a really cool ableton video with telefon tel aviv on youtube with cool cut up tips.

Sorry I am rambling.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 14, 2008

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
To the guy above me. Use ableton. Run your instruments through it. Then buy a fcb-1010 foot controller. Now your live looping bass and guitar with your feet controlling everything. 100 bones left. Get on craigslist and get a used axiom, keystation, kontrol 49 or something. Cheap usb midi controller with knobs, faders, pads.

Don't just load your program and goof. Make some goals write them down, then complete them one at a time.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
So I want to cut vocals live in ableton like Telefon Tele Aviv. Check out the youtube if need to know what I am talking about. Basically I want to move warp points at 0.0.1 increments with knobs. I can bind it to my controller, but the points move at crazy intervals. I can't control the ratio applied to the knobs.

Anyone?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

IanTheM posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2McDeSKiOU

Moldover has an awesome live setup that allows him to do all kinds of things like that, and this video shows how he incorporates other software to expand live's capabilities. I haven't checked out Tele Aviv yet, but this may be what you're after.

He uses a VST to do what I want to do in Live directly. I might have to email ableton. That Beat Detection program is going to be mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpeVc0rG5v4
Thats Telefon tel aviv video. I just want to bind the loop lengths and location to a couple knobs. I guess they just use the touchpad.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

archie posted:

pretty sure the machine drum isn't analogue mate

nice advice and such though, good posting (sounds sarcastic but it's not meant to be)

Screw all that poo poo Linn Drum all the way.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/linndrum2/

There is more than one machine drum just so you know. I believe the mono machine uses virtual analog, and a new version of FM plus about 15 other kinds of sound design.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 29, 2008

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

archie posted:

i'll stick with my machinedrum. the mono machine isn't a machinedrum, it's a mono machine :) they are both made by https://www.elektron.se

drat! i have the 8th SPS1-UW MKII machinedrum made, i demand an analog refit (retrofit?)!

:D

8) My bad. I stand corrected. I hosed around with the one with the keyboard on the right, I forgot the name. I need that poo poo so bad.

The analogness is why I like the Linn drum one.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

I Dig Gardening posted:

It's a phaser. It's only going to sound as good as your phaser settings and your synth source, though. Get a kickass synth sound FIRST, then throw the phaser on it. I'd recommend a third party phaser, both Reasons and Live's don't do it for me.. and I'm one hell of a fanboy.

One thing you'll learn in electronic music very fast is that if it sounds super loving complicated and you keep racking your brain to what it might be, the answer is almost ALWAYS something really stupid and simple. I was DYING to know how MSTRKRFT made that insane buildup before the climax of their Dance remix and I could NOT for the life of me replicate it. I asked Jesse and turns out it's just a reverse piano chord. I reversed the song and sure enough, it's just a loving piano chord. Retarded. Sounds so dope though.

Can everyone who has cool french house sounding techniques just post them now. I will put them all together in a pdf when we are done.

Can anyone tell me how exactly justice did this micro sampling? I know cut a sample. Drop it in Live Sampler. Then cut the loop points, so that they don't touch the attack and release. Voila! Infinite sustaining sample.

What is a good quallty flanger and phaser VSTI free or not? The best one you guys know of?

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 10, 2008

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

breaks posted:

My favorite phaser is probably the one from oligarc.

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=39

There is one that's a clone of a famous guitar pedal that's not too bad either but only mono, but I seem to have forgotten which one it was.

Thanks for the site man. Anyone ever use the schwa sculpto? Looks pimp nasty. Draw envelopes on audio in real time. Rock. I wonder if I can hook it to my novation's touch screen?

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 11, 2008

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I got this in the ol' ableton news letter. He seems messed up a bit. http://www.ableton.com/hot-chip?i=nl

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I sang the Carmina Burana with a full orchestra. Intense is a good word.

How do people get strings that sound so good in all this disco house? I have been trying to use string samples and melodyne, but I still sound like freaking robert miles or brian eno.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

gently caress, I wish my strings sounded like Robert Miles.

Different strokes for different folks. I want sampled strings I guess. I just don't know much about what makes good strings. I guess I need standard string quartet practices and what intervals the harmonies are and what not.

I mean I want real disco sounding strings not fake poly synth ones which I love for different reasons. By the way I love Robert Miles. Gofriller cello or something I guess?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I got 2 questions. How do you bind a midi controller to the XY pad vst controller thing in ableton? Second, anyone know about binding arturia software synths to midi?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Elder posted:

Can Ableton handle MIDI information from 2 separate USB devices at the same time?

I have 5 midi devices plugged into it personally.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I feel you guys on the finishing songs bit. I do well with a full band, but alone I have 200-300 random projects in Live 6 and 7. How do you finish things jesus.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

IanTheM posted:

Maybe it can be done with a rotary speaker? Not 100% sure it'll keep the tone though.

If you can get guitar rig 3, you can modulate any effect at any interval or any number of effect parameters. Dont know about logic.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

why thank you!

One of the best things I have heard. You need to make whole songs or find a bangin vocalist. I really like the sound design. How do you make it sound like danger? Is it bit reduction plus a c64 emulator+gate or sidechained bass, and nintendo toms. White noise claps etc? or Tell me some tricks!

If this song had a harpsichord breakdown at .58 or so I would smile for days. Then dump the lo pitched stuff back in. Thats 3 minutes easy.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 16, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

ooo harpsichord, good idea.
i use sugar bytes unique synth. most of the sound comes from overdriving and layering synths.

If you add a harpsichord make sure and pm me to let me hear it. Dont stop making poo poo man you have talent.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

worked on that track a little more! added a harpsichord break and fine tuned some poo poo

http://www.sendspace.com/file/moim5a

let me know what you think!!!

It sounds nice when everything gets going in the break. Kinda like Dracula's Theme or something is the feeling it gets across. It has atmosphere. I would maybe vary the notes a little or add a low pass and some res. automation on that harpsichord for acid squelching.

freaking oscar overdrives so good.

You inspired me to make an electro track and now my water faucet turning on and off is my new snare.

Good Work man.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I would die for a guide to eqing everything. Like easy to understand everything about eq, I'm talking about specific situations and instruments.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Maguro posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but there is a general EQing guide that singles out different instruments here: http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=11466

There are a few good posters in that forum, so I would recommend registering for it, but make sure to take everything with a grain of salt.

I read this 3 times now. I'm gonna make eq flash cards for the frequencies I need to know for what instrument and how it effects what part of the waveform. This is a good resource combined with sound on sound stuff.

Thanks homie.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

ManoliIsFat posted:

Once you get what's going on and you can really start to hear the whole frequency range of the instrument, you'll want to do it by feeling much more than "oh i know a I should cut this at 300hz"

Currently I make a nice peak and find which part makes everything the worst possible and cut the poo poo out of that. I just like knowing how eq's and overtones interact.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
If you hate the ship in a bottle thing then the little phatty is way more annoying than an r3 or a microkorg.

If you want a microkorg save up for a used or new korg r3. fullsized keys, radias guts.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 21, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Thanks for the info. Starting a rock/dance band with 3 or 4 of my buddies and we wanted a little synth for some leads or something. Could I plug a Xiosynth into a loop pedal?? or can it loop itself.. just an idea. thx though

yes and its 100 bucks cheaper. It's an audio interface and is has a step sequencer for gated rhythm patterns of justice.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Admin Understudy posted:

Alright I have a very basic question and I hope I didn't skip over an entire section on this. Let me start by saying I'm an amateur, I have no real musical aspirations other than having fun making stuff.

What I want to know is the difference between a drum machine, a sampler, an MPC pad and similar things. What I believe I'm looking for is something that can store samples, has pressure sensitive pads for those samples, options to play them into loops, and a few effects. I like those Akai MPC pads alot, but I don't know if that's above and beyond what I'm looking to do.

I have a synth hooked up to my macbook, I play around in garage band. It started as a way to get better at playing piano but I don't have a passion for that anymore. I've been intrigued by sampler pads for a while now, but don't really know what I'm looking for. I've poked around online a bit and stopped by Guitar Center a few times to play with what they have on display there, but I'm not sure what to get.

You just need a trigger finger midi pad, or the akai equivalent. I would get the korg nanopad on the cheap and just midi it.

It is 50 bucks I think.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I hear that loving square bass in every 3rd new banger. I like the resonant movement on the hats though.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

what chall think about this?

http://tindeck.com/listen/mvta

needs another part

It needs another part, and a little more variation, but man you got it. There is something in your work that is great. It's the treatment of the kick and drums, and the little vocoded drum pattern i think I hear.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?id=148

Watch this if fm is magic to you. It helps lots. Smack yourself in the face if it starts becoming hard to understand. Then, remind yourself its only 8 minutes and you should watch it 3 times. Finally, download the pdf below the video for extra information about ratios. The ratio you use based on the main operator is how you get your overtones and changes to pitch and "filter" and envelop settings. Not a filter really. Watch and see. Good video part two should be out soonish.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
i tried the gladiator demo. Boy was I dumb. I am now poor. Anyone have any cool tips or cool ideas about am fm and hcm synthesis and how you use them together when you can't enter specific numbers for fm operation? I have been loving around on gladiator all day, and I can say that I have about 15 loving stupendous patches I have made from scratch. Easily, the best synth I have ever used on the computer. I say this as someone with experience in zeta, all the refx stuff, zebra, sylenth, all the Ni stuff, and all the arturia stuff. Tone 2 gladiator destroys for me personally and sits in a track awesomely.

So anyone have any resources on hcm synthesis?

www.tone2.com/html/___gladiator.html

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 15, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

is there a way in ableton to put an effect on the master and only have it effect certain tracks? im trying to put a lowpass on the entire beat except for vocals and the only way i can figure out how to do it is to make an auto filter preset then automate each track individually.

Make a channel in ableton. Put a autofilter on it. Go to the "Audio to" of all the channels you want to be filtered and select the name of your channel with the autofilter on it instead of master. Make sure to either arm or change monitor to in on your autofilter channel.

If you want to automate the lowpass, then make a fake clip in your new channel with no audio material in it. Go to the automation window in clip view. Automate the lowpass freq. Hit play on everything. Your blank clip will now modulate the lowpass freq.

Hey turbop I think vampz is the best thing you have ever done. Keep it up.

Basically you need to route all audio to submix channels you specify and create in ableton. You could use a send or bus to do this if you change "audio to" to sends only.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 29, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

here is the newest version, i might be done with it

I think you guys are like the good crystal castles, or the super happy knife.

My band, The merlins, just got together and are playing a four song set at a Cage the Elephant shows after party. If you guys are ever around nashville and want to swap shows holler. We are recording a ep in the next few weeks.

How did you end up doing the lowpass thing? Sounds sick. I would use a tiny bit of side chained band pass on her voice if I were you. Like a really skinny notch filter on a send.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Yoozer posted:

Since everyone's posting their stuff here:

http://www.theheartcore.com/music/pentothal.mp3

I really like the synth with portamento in the background. It rocks rear end. I think it is a little much at times in there, but it is totally awesome too.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Anacostia posted:

This is the first song I've ever felt comfortable asking for criticism. :3: Two notes:

A. it's unfinished. I only started it 2 days ago but am pleased with where I am at the moment. I know it's too short etc.

B. I haven't had a chance to mix it on nice monitors so I've only heard it on semi-lovely headphones and decent generic computer speakers.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I did some sebastiAn style chopping on the end, it's sort of just hanging off the song, does my technique (read: imitation) sound okay?
I like it. I would run the whole mix through a bit crusher a reverb with very short time and early reflection by the tons, plus a a nice lowpass in the first section, then a high pass slowing dropping the bass in on the chords. Also make a nice synth bed for your song to lay in.

Just work on the edits a lot like a dj and add maybe one more element. Nice first effort.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

i dont really know what you are talking about! i have a lot of effects on everything

Dude I got vamps on my ipod and when it comes on around other people. I make them guess who it is. You guys have been all kinds of good rear end bands according to my friends. Keep that poo poo up. She is so much better at timbre control than the guy that sings with you guys. He sounds good on duets though like smudged. For tonight would rule if anni t sang on it.

Keep up the hard work. You got those bass starting to sound like danger mang.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

stun runner posted:

A li'l sketch I made a couple days ago. It's a work in progress (especially the arrangement, it needs to flow better I think) but I'm feeling it so far.

Sounds good. I would put a multiband compressor on the whole track and bring them lows up. Then I would put a limiter on the whole thing for right now to get a little more loudness cleanly, but a lot of people are like gently caress NO don't put a limiter you will kill your dynamics, but its cool. I like the track, but the "rock to the beat" sample needs some modulation on it slightly. I think a band pass on the vocal moving slightly would add some interest on the sample make it more musical I guess.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Terrible Horse posted:

I'm getting pretty sick of the limitations of Abletons Simple Delay, and I read something about how Abletons reverb isnt true stereo, it sums the input to a mono signal before producing the stereo output. Can anyone recommend some good delay and reverb vsts, particularly ones that have stereo imaging parameters and dont kill my cpu, if thats possible.
Free
http://www.voxengo.com/product/tempodelay/
http://www.voxengo.com/product/pspace/

Money- I believe dubstation is 40 bucks.
http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/
Try to find wazooverb. It is awesome.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

Has anybody used a Presonus FireBox?

I was thinking of getting something for my OSX Laptop, a smaller interface. It has the I/O's I need, I'm just wondering the quality of the product, the preamps, etc.

One of the best firewire cards for the money. I used a OSX laptop with one for about 6 months in Live 6 and never crashed once or lost sync. I had about 3-4 ms latency.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

mezzir posted:

Seems like a good idea, but all my audio goes through this and I have something playing 95% of the time I'm on my computer :/ Even just playing tf2 over the course of a long couple games it'll go from being fine to stuttering a little. Also increasing the buffer doesn't seem to help, still happens even when I have the 'max buffer' setting checked.

I use a xiosynth as my interface in xp and the same thing happens, but only for a half second randomly every 1hr or so. It disappears for days to reappear randomly. It is like I run livecut and supatrigga on my whole system all the time.

I hacked my bias to host vsts and now I cant get supatrigga to stop glitching tf2:420:.

Seriously it glitches randomnly, but not enough to drive me nuts. I tried sample rate changes and buffer changes, and asio4all.

I am getting a tascam us1641 in about a week, and a second custom built rackmount quad cord rig. I will see if it still happens then.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

This is the worst. What kind of hardware are you using that loses 90% of it's value in a few years? So you're telling me that I can get an "obsolete" Virus for $150 on the street?

Someone name me a piece of new midi hardware that loses 90 percent of its value? I am really interested in knowing the answer to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

oredun posted:

midi stuff? maschine? does that look like virus ti? or even synthesizer?

ok, goto ebay type in "midi controller" and there ya go. maybe i was off a little but there is tons of a couple of year old midi controllers on ebay for no more than 50% of their original price.

also, just about any behringer piece loses value like that. so, maybe think a bit before you post a sarcastic post.

10 percent is not the same as 50 percent. I was being sarcastic because you were making up random rear end percentages. I know lots of behringer stuff that keeps value. Midiverb, Fcb1010, compressor that rules, vamp pro racks, . If behringer stuff was resold at 10 percent value, then that poo poo would be free. Again, I can think of no musical gear that sells for 10 percent of its price not fifty. Maybe we should both think before we post. Now give me a hug. :420:

oredun posted:

midi stuff? maschine? does that look like virus ti? or even synthesizer?

Whats does this part of your post even mean?

• Locked thread