Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man vs Child
Mar 21, 2004

by Ralp
Alright, I want to get started in making electronic music. This thread is perfect.

I already own a macbook, so I am one step closer to achieving this goal, however that is the only piece of equipment I own. After doing a bit of looking around at stuff to buy, I stumbled upon the microKorg. I must preface this by that I have zero technical knowledge in what I am talking about, but does the microKorg have what I need to get started? I still haven't grasped what a midi controller is (to me, midi's are those really crappy polyphonic ringtones, so this is a bit confusing), but the microkorg says it is a synth/vocoder but it looks like every other midi controller I have googled. The microKorg seems to have everything I want to do but I am not sure if that is the only thing I am going to need.

Also, I know that guitarist and poo poo have amps and big cabinet speakers and such, but am I able to get away with just my computer speakers or do I need an amp and all that jazz? I have some pretty alright speakers (logitech z-530s, for reference) but then again I don't want to blow them up in the process.

I draw alot of inspiration from Daft Punk and the bigger trance DJs such as Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, Paul van dyk, armin van buuren, etc. Typical trancetard stuff, but I digress.

I essentially want to make some sweet trance music as well as gently caress around with daft punk like effects, which is why the microKorg has intrigued my interests since it has a built in vocoder. I don't want to be some huge DJ or anything I just want to make some trance beats and poo poo by myself that I will enjoy.

So basically, to sum it up:

What are the goon opinions on the microKorg? is it right for what I want to do? are there better alternatives for what I want to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man vs Child
Mar 21, 2004

by Ralp

ManoliIsFat posted:

So MIDI is just like the roll on a player piano, or sheet music. It's just instructions of what to do. So if you press middle C on a midi controller, that sends a signal to the computer or synth saying "make the sounds of middle c!"

Oh, well, I guess that is a lot simpler of an explanation than what i've been googling. Looking at all these zany devices that look like pianos to me but with all these crazy buttons is a bit intimidating.

• Locked thread