Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Army of meat
Jul 9, 2004

So wasteful!
I'd like to get into live PAing and am working up some tracks in Live on my laptop, but I'm currently stuck with my lovely onboard sound. I know I need a good audio interface/sound card thing, but don't want to really go too overboard before I know this is something I want to invest a lot into, as opposed to just creating tracks for fun.

My question is whether it'd be better to drop $300 on something like a Presonus Firebox or FA-66 or go a lot cheaper with some USB/PCMCIA thing with less in/out ports. Does a live PA set really need a ton of in/out or can I get away with 2 outs (one main, one for cuing)?

I assume getting a good audio interface help me reduce latency, but will spending $200 more really have that noticeable of an effect? Right now I'm getting enough that it feels like I'm tweaking the MIDI controller through a sheet of rubber.

Also, would any veterens care to share their workflow, so I can get some ideas on how it's done, or maybe some tips on being more efficient? Right now I sequence drums and tweak synths in Reason, bring the drums in as audio clips and then sequence the rewired synths and do the final composition there and play with envelopes there. I'm still sort of new with Live, so everything still feels clumsy, but I prefer it over laying out tracks in Reason.

Army of meat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread