Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Can i recommend Digital Village (https://www.dv247.com) for those who wish to buy gear in the UK. I've used them many times, and have had nothing but positive experiences.

There's also Turnkey (https://www.turnkey.co.uk), who are pretty well known and popular, but I've had very mixed experiences with them. They're extremely quick to sell you stuff, but god forbid you should try and return something. I tried to replace a faulty Presonus audio interface the day after i'd purchased it and they got very lovely with me....i had to go in with all guns blazing, spouting off stuff about statutory rights before they grundgingly swapped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

wayfinder posted:

I think it's mostly that. Mac have a market share of what, 4%? It was a pretty dumb decision to make Logic Mac only.

Not really. As has been said before, Apple are primarily a hardware vendor...it makes more sense for them to sell Logic as OS X only, to motivate people to buy Mac hardware. If Apple were really interested in making mad profit from Logic, they wouldn't have slashed the price for Logic 8 so drastically....i mean, come on, it's ridiculously cheap for what you get (especially compared to Cubase).

I'd say it's a very shrewd business decision.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

This is something I've been doing over the last couple of days. It's a trance track...I was kinda aiming for something that sounds like Anjunabeats, but IMO it kinda drifted away from that and ended being more riff driven.

http://www.demoralised.org/trance_thingy.mp3

I quite like it so far....although I'm totally lost as to where to go next. So far I've only got upto the first drop, so it needs another breakdown+buildup+drop etc. I'm reluctant to just repeat what i've got so far....i think i might change it completely for the second breakdown. The last 32 bars are just me fecking around with Effectrix...they can be ignored.

This is my first stab at a trance track, so i'm curious as to what people think!

edit: hmmmm something seems to have acted up when Audacity converted it to MP3....there's some weird time-stretchy sounding glitches at the beginning. don't know what happened there.... :confused:

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 21, 2008

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

radiated pancake posted:

What do you goons think of Cycling '74's Max 5 software? I just downloaded the demo and I'm finding the interface surprisingly intuitive, but still finding it hard to wrap my head around building my own synths/effects from scratch. Has anyone worked with this program, and if so...how'd it sound?

Max/MSP is a great package. I did two years of it for my degree and I learned an absolute poo poo load from it. My final year project was to build a synth in it, and I'm so glad I did because it taught me so much about synthesis, which is very useful to me today. If you can spare the time to go through the tutorials and figure it out, then before you know it you'll be making all kinds of funny poo poo.

I've been very tempted to buy an upgrade to Max 5 and get back into it but, alas, I barely have enough time for my other hobbies these days. :-/

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone here have a Novation Nocturn and use Logic 8?

If so, how the hell do I get Logic to record the modulation from the Nocturn? I've written a synth line using an automapped instance of V-Station and when I play it back it will respond to changes (e.g. opening the filter) from the Nocturn. Then I arm the track and record whilst moving the Nocturn's knobs....again, i can hear the changes, but when i play it back none of the modulation has been recorded.

Logic must be receiving some sort of data because, when recording, it'll start drawing a box on the event window as a twiddle the knobs....but this just vanishes after I press stop.

Any ideas? The Nocturn seems like a great piece of kit, but it's completely useless to me unless I can record modulation from it.

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 24, 2008

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

sh1fty posted:

That just blew my mind. That sucks though since I use a mac. Anything close to dbule for mac? I'd prefer not to have it run in parallels.

Sugarbytes' Effectrix. It's not free, but it's very, very good...very easy to use too.

http://www.sugar-bytes.com/content/products/Effectrix/index.php

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

tylertfb posted:

a detroity techno track I'm working on. This is a little 16 bar loop to test levels and sounds. I probably won't be adding much in terms of elements, but rather making a progression of these sounds and adding a fill here or there and a breakdown. I'm looking for feedback mostly on the mastering / mixing / sound choices here.

Sounds good to me.....quite tech housey, actually. I like the synth sounds, but the kick sounds lost IMO, although I'm a fan of big banging kick drums, which might not really be what you were aiming for.

Finish it off and post it here! :D

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I know this is a little off topic, but I think someone might be able to help me.

Does anyone know of any good electro/tech house forums? You know, like trance.nu/tranceaddict.com/dogsonacid.com but for electro?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I Dig Gardening posted:

What do ya'll use to organize your drum samples in Logic/Pro Tools? I'm a diehard simpler in Live kinda guy, with seperated tracks for EVERY indivdual drum hit.. but now I'm attempting to learn Logic and quickly learning I don't know what the gently caress to do with drums once I've lost my precious Simpler and Impulse. I'm thinking about just straight up putting them all in as audio tracks.. but working with fills just sounds horrendous without MIDI.

And I really hate iDrum, Drumagog, all of that bullshit. I HAVE to have separated tracks for all of my drum parts. Anyone have a neat solution for this in Logic?

I'm a Logic 8 user. I built a template which launches every time I start a new project....it contains an instance of Kontakt 3 with several pre-assembled instruments.

I basically created one filled with 100+ kicks, one with 100+ claps, then ones with open hats, closed hats, snare hits, misc percussion etc. Each instrument is mapped to a separate midi channel and audio output. Within my template, in the arrangement window, I have individual midi tracks for each percussion part.

This works really well for me....it makes sequencing+mixing the drums really easy and, because it's all set out for me when I start a new project, it allows me to throw together some percussion nice and quickly.

Battery is really good, and far simpler than Kontakt, but I didn't find it handled huge numbers of samples quite as well. If you don't have Kontakt, then EXS24 will do just as good a job (providing you can decipher it's esoteric interface).

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but, if not, then some of you might find it interesting....

http://www.sandervandoorn.com/#studiosessions

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Ok, this is probably a really simple question to answer, but it's something which pisses me off every time I use Logic.

In the mixer window, how can i stop it from switching from 'arrange' view to 'all' view? In 'arrange' view, everything is nice and tidy, and I can find everything I want straight away. But every time I switch back to the main arrangement window, the mixer flips back to 'all' mode which jumbles the faders up and chucks a bunch of other poo poo I don't need in there too.

Please tell me there's a way to default to 'arrange' view? I know it's not a massive problem, but it's just something that gets a bit annoying after you've done it for the hundredth time that hour.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm not sure if anyone here will be interested in this, but you never know...

http://www.lennardigital.com/modules/sylenth1/groupbuy.php

There's a group buy going on for Sylenth1. It's currently at €99 and could go all the way down to €79 if some more people sign up. Given that it doesn't conclude until the 31st, I think there's a very high chance that it'll finish at €79, which is an absolute steal for such a massively awesome synth. They've finally released an AU version too, so Logic users can get onto this without having to worry about hacky VST->AU wrappers.

I bought mine a while back and it's a fantastic synth.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Yoozer posted:

I think I'm going to snag it as an end-of-the-year gift for myself even though I shouldn't buy anything more. While I'm not exactly a fan of the interface it's probably a good bread & butter software replacement for Pro-53 (Massive's just too powerful and far out there to use for this kind of thing, IMHO :v: ).

The D16 group buy is ending soon - 100 euros now :).

gently caress...I'd be all over that D16 one if only they bothered to make AU versions.

It baffles me that these companies make Mac VST versions but not AU versions.....surely the number of Mac Cubase users is dwarfed by the number of Logic users?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Yoozer posted:

I don't know how much extra effort or specialized coders this requires, from what I've understood AU is pretty similar in concept to VST.

I can only assume that it requires a significant degree of extra coding, otherwise I really can't understand why they wouldn't do it.

Part of me is tempted to just jump on it anyway, as they seem to imply that AU versions will follow eventually, but tbh i don't think I can justify spending €100 on something which might come out at some point (supposedly).

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I just saw this linked on another forum, and thought that it might be of interest to a few of you guys....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=75P0pqR9Gfc

It's a tutorial by trance producer Airbase, showing him making chopped up vocal FX. He makes it look painfully easy.

edit: There's a link to the HD version there, which is far better (you can actually see what he's doing, for a start!)

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

Is using computer software as a sampler a good way to get an idea of how to operate a regular rackmounted sampler? I'm a month away from a Yahama A4000 if the guy finds all the papers on time and I can't put my work on hold, the samples would be triggered by midi out from my Yamaha RM1x.

(Got the FL8 demo, Ableton gave me the headache of a thousand wives, Reason just made me confused.)

I have an A4000 (although, i'll admit, it's not been used for years now). If it hasn't already got one, buy an internal HDD for it. Max up the RAM as much as you can too.

Most importantly, buy a SCSI card for your computer and figure out how to do SMDI transfers. Do whatever it takes to get it working. The A4000 is a really good sampler (i prefer it to the Akai S series), but copying stuff over on floppy disks is soul destroying.

If you don't have SMDI with the ability to save programs to the HDD, it'll do your loving head in. :)

Oh, and check out a program called 'bZone'. It's a free application that allows you to control all the parameters of the sampler over midi. It seems like it was abandoned a fair few years ago (and, sadly, before the author got around to including SMDI into it), but I assume it'll still work under XP. http://www.bzone.be/

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I started this track last night. I was trying to do something tech-trancey but with electro elements....it's not finished yet and pretty rough around the edges, but i'm pretty pleased about how it's turned out so far. I've not gotten around to doing the first 64 bars yet, so the sample starts from the beginning of the first breakdown. The mixdown is all over the place....so if you can overlook that, i'm more interested in opinions of the arrangement etc.

half finished track

I did a half arsed mastering job using Izotope Ozone. However, I'm slightly out of my depth and have managed to gently caress up the dynamics on all the quiet parts (this can be heard during the main breakdown). If anyone knows anything about mastering and can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd be interested to learn...

Edit: the mp3 conversion to 128kbs seems to have massacred it a bit. The kick drum sounds way shitter in that clip than it does in the original bounce. :-/

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 24, 2009

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Are there an alternatives to Audacity and Bias Peak when it comes to audio editing on the Mac? I really can't stand either of them.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Cyne posted:

Fission - http://www.rogueamoeba.com/fission/
TwistedWave - http://twistedwave.com/
Sound Studio - http://www.freeverse.com/apps/app/?id=5012

All shareware. I use WavePad personally, which is free.

Brilliant! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try all of these out tonight.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Kai was taken posted:

I have the first edition. I might buy the second edition, just for the hell of it.

I bought the second edition the other week. I've not had much of a chance to go through it, but it seems like a pretty good book.

My only complaint is that the chapters dedicated to specific genres are hopeless and, imo, should be overlooked. The rest of the book seems like a useful reference, though.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I'm going to bring these up again because I really think they're the poo poo. Listen to the little demo, these kicks are huge. They make the vengeance kicks sound weak.

I wouldn't say that the Vengeance kicks are weak, but the problem is that most of them sound like they've been sampled straight off existing records. A lot of them off the Clubsounds discs have reverb tails which cut off suddenly, or other percussion hits overlaid, which effectively make them useless.

If I were to recommend any sample CDs, I'd suggest the Thomas Penton sample collections. I've only got volumes 1&2, but I find them to be far more usable than Vengeance.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Calling all Logic users - I have some questions. Can someone tell me the keyboard shortcuts for the following commands....

Enable/Disable looping - so, i can select a loop region, then press a key to enable/disable it.
Un-solo/un-mute all.

I've looked around the documentation, and can't find anything like this in there. Is it even possible?!

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

E1M5 posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for VSTi's?

Novation V-Station is a good one to look at. It's old, and doesn't have some of the fancier features of newer synths, but it sounds good and is very easy to use. There's also many great preset banks available, if that's your thing.

It's also really loving cheap.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Rkelly posted:

I bought omnisphere about 2 months ago. It took me a little time to get used to making multis, but for modern poo poo nothing bests it. Maybe DCAM Synth Squad models better, but that layering, ridiculous multi-samples of all kinds of old synths seriously I use a sync sound from a prophet 5 that is the nastiest thing ever.

What's Omnisphere like for CPU usage? I run Logic 9 on a 2.4ghz C2D Macbook Pro with 4gb ram....would a single instance of Omnisphere eat all my resources?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/289353/untitled_minimal_thing.mp3

I made this the other day. I spent about 4-5 hours on it, then took a break, and when I tried to get back into it to tidy up the arrangement and bit and mix it down properly I found that the project file was corrupt. I was quite happy with it up until that point, so was a bit pissed off. Meh...live and learn, i guess.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

E1M5 posted:

I've downloaded demos, as you recommended Yoozer. I'm loving Massive so far. Definitely considering buying it at this point.

Massive is nice and all, but it totally rapes your CPU. I'll use, at most, one instance of Massive per project....any more and my CPU meters start going into dangerous territory.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone know of any good house/electro production forums?

This thread is a great resource, but I'd love to find some other forums to browse.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Yoozer posted:

If you want to get any music done, don't do this.

hahahaha

Yeah you're absolutely right actually. I spend far too much time reading terrible forums like tranceaddict as it is....i really don't need another to distract me.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Afro Thunder posted:

I'm mostly looking for something can give me a modern dance sound. So far the Virus looks like its the best one at accomplishing that. I looked at the other models you mentioned, and the Virus still seems like the best way to go.

I absolutely love my Snow - it's a great synth. It sounds fantastic, integrates really well with my DAW, has heaps of synthesis parameters, and takes a lot of the workload off my CPU :)

I've got a fairly broad selection of synth plugins on my computer, but the Virus is generally my 'go-to' synth. Synths like Sylenth1 and Massive are fantastic, but they have disadvantages - e.g. Sylenth1 sounds great, but the interface blows, the modulation options are lacking, and some of the built in FX are a bit gash. Likewise, Massive sounds fantastic, but it's a ridiculous resource hog. Virus Control ticks all the boxes, though (IMO, at least).

If you can justify the cost, then a Snow is a nice piece of kit to get.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Afro Thunder posted:

Pretty good track, but I agree with the poster about the breakdown needs to be re-tooled it sounds too out of place with the song.

I agree with everything said thus far.

Really great track though....the production is really tight.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I fancy a new synth, and Zebra is looking like a likely candidate. I've played with the demo and have been impressed....I really like the flexible, modular thing it has going on. However, £165 is a lot of money. Are there any Zebra users here who can offer some feedback as to whether or not it's a decent purchase? What have you found it's strengths/weaknesses are?

Alternatively, are there any other new amazing synths that have come out lately? I've had a few months off music production (I'm a recovering Modern Warfare 2 addict....it's consumed all my spare time since it was released) and I'm not up to date with the latest synth developments.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

mezzir posted:

I absolutely loving love it, and these days pretty much use it for everything in my songs besides bass with a few exceptions. Other than Zebra, I'd check out Alchemy as well perhaps, Quincy's been creamin himself over it lately.

Alchemy looks nice, but I'm not sure about jumping in to additive synthesis right now. I think that'd just overwhelm me more than anything. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on Zebra though.

I have another question for you all, regarding midi keyboards.

For the past few years I've been using a Virus KC as my controller keyboard. However, now that I work entire :airquote:in the box:airquote:, I no longer need something so huge, and it'd be nice to have something with a few more assignable knobs and stuff. Having looked at what's available, it seems that M-Audio and Novation are the best contenders.

At the moment, it's a tossup between the 49 key versions of the Novation Remote SL Compact, or the M-Audio Axiom.

Has anyone got experience with either of these? Things like Automap are of no concern to me....i'm more interested about things like build quality etc.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Alchemy does alot more than additive synthesis. Look closer.

The only thing overwhelming about Alchemy is its possibilities.

I must admit that I didn't try it out.....I just looked over the site and made some rash generalisations about it :) I'm downloading the demo as we speak. I'll give it a blast and see what I think of it.

I like the way that the demo is fully functional for 3 weeks....that's a nice touch. I hate it when VST vendors give you a demo which starts hissing and outputting bursts of white noise after ten mins of usage (e.g. Zebra). I don't know how they expect anyone to be able to make a judgement on a synth in such a small amount of time. Perhaps if more vendors gave decent trial periods like this, then less people would be inclined to warez their stuff? i dunno...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Did you try the Synth Squad stuff? If you're looking for more traditional synthesis then DCAM might be the way to go, and there's a demo on the site. Strobe is bomb.

I really like the sound of the audio demos. I'm worried that some of it might be a bit over my head, but I'm going to give the demo a blast! I'm picking up my new midi keyboard tomorrow, so I'll install it then.

Is it a CPU rapist? I only have a 2.4ghz c2d Macbook Pro.

• Locked thread