Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I'd really appreciate any tips on using crash and splash cymbal samples. Maybe I'm using the wrong ones, but I just can't find cymbal samples that I like. They all seem to sound rigid and harsh, or thin and lifeless. I'm sure there must be some tricks to working these into your mix, any insight would be really helpful.

Great thread BTW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I was reading briefly in some other forum about playing electronic music in live settings, and how with any bass-heavy stuff you should be careful that the kick is tune with the bass. I guess the idea is that when you're playing live, sub-frequencies that you didn't hear on your monitors at home will be coming through these huge, loud venue speakers. So if the kick is out of tune with the bassline, it can create some dissonance that will be really uncomfortable for the audience.

Is this true and how important is it really? How do you make sure that your kick is in tune with the bass, and how can you check this if you can't hear it on your monitors?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Aenovae posted:

Slightly related topic: What do you guys think of Battery 3? I need a large library of drum samples.

I love Battery 3. I don't use the stock samples, but the program itself is fantastic. It's got a great interface and it's really flexible. Highly recommended.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

RationalAppeal posted:

Does anyone know how to change the location that Reason searches for the default sound banks in? I tried to move them to my external drive because my macbook has a puny little hard drive but when I launch Reason after doing that, it tells me to install the Reason 4 disc, presumably to install the "missing" sound banks.

I don't think you can...I've always just left a copy in the program folder and put another copy, along with my other refills, on my sample drive.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

What's the best MIDI routing software these days? Free or otherwise. Thanks!

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Yoozer posted:

What do you mean by "routing"? As in, you have a bunch of MIDI devices, a MIDI interface, and you want to connect port X to Y?

I need to route MIDI data on my PC, internally. I know macs do this natively, but I need a program like MIDI Yoke or MIDI ox and I was just wondering which one is the best right now.

More specifically, I'm using Bomes MIDI Translator and I need to send the MIDI data to Ableton.

Elder fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 2, 2008

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Is there any way to assign racks in Live to buttons on my controller so that I can switch focus quickly?

Also, I'd really like to have a VST that will show me in a large display the current tempo and also count off the beat. Basically a metronome but very simple and clear. Does anything like this exist?

Elder fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 3, 2008

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Quick Ableton question:

I'm trying to send MIDI data from a VST on one track to a Simpler on another track. I have the VST sending the data on channel 1, CC 22, and the Simpler parameter I want to control has been mapped to the same CC (I did this with my midi keyboard). There's a MIDI track taking the input from the VST channel and sending it to the Simpler. I know the MIDI info is being transmitted, because I can see it on the meter and because I have successfully gotten another VST to respond to the incoming data. But I can't get the Simpler to respond and I can't figure out why. Does anyone have any ideas?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Elder posted:

Quick Ableton question:

I'm trying to send MIDI data from a VST on one track to a Simpler on another track. I have the VST sending the data on channel 1, CC 22, and the Simpler parameter I want to control has been mapped to the same CC (I did this with my midi keyboard). There's a MIDI track taking the input from the VST channel and sending it to the Simpler. I know the MIDI info is being transmitted, because I can see it on the meter and because I have successfully gotten another VST to respond to the incoming data. But I can't get the Simpler to respond and I can't figure out why. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thought a screenshot might help out on this one:

Track 1 has an audio clip which runs through the VST (Blue Cat FreqAnalyst), generating the MIDI data. The MIDI data is coming out on channel 1, CC 22, as you can see in the plug-in's settings window there. The MIDI track (track 3) take this data and routes it to the Simpler track (track 2). The Simpler has been set to be controlled by data on channel 1, CC 22, but it's just not responding.

You can't see it in the screenshot, but the meter on the MIDI track registers the data when the clip is playing. I've also gotten a VST plug-in on the Simpler track to accept and be controlled by the data, so I know it's definitely making it to the Simpler track.

I'm totally stumped on this one. Why isn't this working?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Can Ableton handle MIDI information from 2 separate USB devices at the same time?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Thanks guys, that's good to know.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Albino 3 is good, and I really like surge too. It's really flexible in that you can modulate basically any parameter. You could create really crazy sounds if you went in depth with it.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It doesn't seem like your problem is with your gear, it sounds like like a software issue. Whether this is because there is some fault with the software or you're using it incorrectly is hard to say without more info. The best thing to do I think would be to go in depth one issue at a time posting your process and screenshots if possible.

It takes a long time to figure this stuff out and the smallest thing can mess everything up.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Sounds like you need to increase the buffer size. In the audio section of the preferences menu there's a test you can run that will tell you what buffer size you can use.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

In that case I don't know. My first guess would be incompatibility with Windows 7 somewhere down the line.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I've never tried any of those linear phase EQs. Do they really sound much better? I understand they take a lot more processing power.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

alcoholiday posted:

Yeah, I forgot to clarify that part. Let's assume that for logistical reasons, I can't do that, or find someone else. My band is very loosely/newly put together as it is. For all I know, we could lose our drummer too, and then I would still/especially want to play to those tracks. Most venues do accommodate the laptop method?

Any venue that's set up to run instruments through the PA should be able to take the output from the laptop and run it through the PA as well. For this kind of thing you don't necessarily need a laptop though, you could just use an ipod or whatever. It might take some working out but it will pretty much amount to the same thing.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

What's the easiest way to see what MIDI data a plugin is sending? Is there a plugin that will do this?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

h_double posted:

What host app are you using? What plugin are you trying to examine? In most cases you should be able to just record a bunch of control movements into a blank MIDI track and examine the contents.

You might be able to use MIDI monitor (possibly in combination with Hubi's MIDI Loopback) to capture the data being sent by a plugin.

I'm not too familiar with the internals of the VST specification, but I'm not too sure that all plugins are necessarily sending "MIDI data" (CC messages and soforth) unless they are specifically coded to do so.

The plugin is BlueCat Audio's FreqAnalyst Pro, which is analyzing the frequency of incoming audio and sending out MIDI data based on that. I'm trying to tweak it but it's difficult without seeing exactly what numbers it's spitting out. I hadn't thought of just recording it to a MIDI track :doh: so I will try that. Thanks for the plugin suggestions as well.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I'm looking for a pitch shifting VST plugin that doesn't cause a bunch of latency. Does this exist, for free or otherwise?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Elder posted:

I'm looking for a pitch shifting VST plugin that doesn't cause a bunch of latency. Does this exist, for free or otherwise?

My post got lost in the mess, but I'm still looking for this :)

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

h_double posted:

Elder, what's your hardware/latency situation like in general? I can use the Autotune VST (or Guitar Rig's pitch shifter) in realtime without any problems. Though if you want to use pitch shift to transpose a whole track, you might be better off doing it in non-realtime to take best advantage of dithering algorythms and what not.

Latency at the moment is very good, under 5ms IIRC. I need a realtime pitch shifter because it's for live performance use, and I tried out a couple but they all resulted in noticeable latency. I haven't tried Autotune though, that seems like a good option since it is designed for live use, thanks.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

oredun posted:

if you have ableton you can use grain delay and unclick sync and make it delay .1ms then play around with the pitch and frequency. sometimes, well usually, it sounds horrible but every now and then its a great build effect or something. its at least worth a shot if you have live.

Very interesting, I am using Live so I will try this out. Thanks.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

IanTheM posted:

I love weekends because it's so hot and there is literally nothing to do but stay inside:
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/Wola.mp3

this is excellent

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

iZotope Vinyl is pretty awesome, and free. It'll add the little pops and scratches as well as making it sound old and worn out.

edit: Nevermind i see this was already recommended.

(seconding this)

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Weird BIAS posted:

Thoughts/comments/suggestions.

Don't know why but I really enjoy those key changes.

This is really awesome. It sounds like the intro song to a fun Sega Genesis game, like Sonic or something.

Good stuff.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Sounds like a fun way to kill time, thanks! Checking it out now..

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Limbertimbre posted:

Click here for the full 904x542 image.

Vember Audio SURGE.

This thing is insane. Best 99 bucks I've ever spent on music creation. It's even cleaner than an Access Virus or Nord Modular in some circumstances. I use it for every kind of synthesis, though primarily psytrance and bassy club music.

Give this serious consideration before dropping any money on software synthesizers. Dropping 20 bucks on Zeta, then trying to figure out how to get serious sounds out of it can be very frustrating, and often unnecessary.

http://vemberaudio.se/surge.php

edit: NI is crap.

Oh yeah, Surge is great. Insanely tweakable - everything can be tied to an LFO, and then you start modulating the LFOs with other LFOs...it's neat.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

WanderingKid posted:

What about mod matrix? I like synths where everything can be a modulator too. :iamafag:

I'm not sure if I've used a synth like this, which ones should I be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Vector 7 posted:

New limiter from FabFilter. I'm going to try out the demo tomorrow.

Nice, I love FabFilter's stuff.

• Locked thread