Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Great thread, and I'm glad someone stepped up and made one. This is pretty basic info, but absolutely critical info nevertheless.

A great addition would be an in-depth mixing walkthrough with soundbites and screenshots as it seems this is what everyone gets caught up in. I know it comes with time, practice, and experience, but something more than general advice in this area would be simply amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

quote:

The issue with mixing (I think I said this some posts up) is that it's almost entirely subjective, so anything on mixing should be something that's pretty much universally accepted as being something you always do. I'm just hoping to stay away from too many opinionated techniques. I guess the idea is that if I pull 100 songs at random and 98 of them have technique XYZ then it's fine to go in (EG, keep your kick in the center).

Then how about lets have some subjective mixing tutorials. No-one learned Photoshop by generalized tutorials. Most people learn by "Here is picture X. Here is picture Y. Here is this rad rear end poo poo you can do!"

If you're trying to learn how to mix, you won't learn how to mix by just a few general tips, you have to actually mix songs. And it is very hard to learn how to do so without being walked through a couple mixes!

Now on a completely different tangent. In deadmau5's "Not Exactly" the main lead, how is it that it is really short and choppy at the beginning, and it seems that as it builds up the notes get longer and longer and longer. Does he assign his modwheel to the release knob of his synthesizer or what? It also sounds like he's modwheeling the cutoff freq at the same time. And the delay at 2:00 sounds so awesome. How was that done? Shed some insight? (Link to song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vUiL8ZIOpaM)

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 20, 2008

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

The Fog posted:

I haven't heard that deadmau5 track myself, but if the lead is short in the beginning and long in the end, I would imagine he put the Sustain on the Amp Env to 0% and automated the Decay to slowly increase as the track progresses. Is that what you were looking for?

You are awesome, this is the kind of reply I was hoping for! I think he put the decay on the modwheel though, as automating it throughout the track would be a total bitch.

Christof posted:

edit: Kind of off topic, I've seen quite a few rather good djs use the individual channel mixers (volume levels?) to do their mixes and never touched the crossfader once. Is that just preference?

I leave my xfader in the middle when I'm mixing and use the upfaders to more precisely control the volume of each channel. This way I don't have to worry about xfader sharpness/curve at all.

Altoidss posted:

I'm not sure I'm too happy with it. I panned out some of the instruments, per the suggestions in the other thread. I put an EQ on pretty much everything, and turned on the mastering suite also. I changed the sound of the high saws and the arpeggio, and I cleaned up a lot of the sequencing. I sidechained the arpeggio as well, but I tried to make it not that immediately obvious. I also deleted 8 bars that I thought disrupted the flow of the song. Tell me what you guys think!

I find the bass to be conflicting with the kick a little more than I'd like. Ive found that a well placed high db very sharp Q cut lets you fit things in a lot easier. Sometimes multiple ones work as well. Keep in mind I hardly know poo poo about eqing!

I like the track but I really loving hate that arpeggio you have going throughout the track. It'd be a MUCH stronger track if you dropped that out and found something less cheesy.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 21, 2008

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Could someone throw me a bone on how to program those really awesome rumbling, overcompressed basses stereotypical of Electro House? Artists like D.I.M, and deadmau5 use them all the time. I really like that sound and it'd be awesome to have a decent preset to go off of when creating sounds similar to this.

They mod them in such strange ways I don't know how they do it, to get those squelched sounds out of them.

I have all the tools of Logic Pro 8 at my disposal and Rob Papens Predator.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

IanTheM posted:

Well, I'm gonna go out and look at DJ sets and stuff on the weekend, I have between 260-300 (canadian) to blow at the moment. Any recommendations, or things to avoid in my price range? Plus I'd be fine with something to just use in conjunction with a computer.

Avoid pretty much everything if you're going the hardware route. Thats just not enough money for quality stuff. The poster below mentions th x session pro and thats probably the only thing you could get that would be decent, but keep in mind its just a midi controller so its capabilities are going to be limited by what software you have.

If you want to go completely digital and just use your laptop, virtual dj is the answer. Or ableton. Although the former is cheaper (and shittier)

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 9, 2008

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Yoozer posted:

No, please. Don't :).

Ishkur is enough because it is a central point of reference and most importantly, has audio examples and no overly long opinion stories of which the Wikipedia genres are already filled with. The descriptions are tongue in cheek - I don't care, at least better than the vague quasi-intellectual meandering. An imperfect standard, but at least a standard.

The smallest element of "genre" is a part of a song. You can't pin it down on a song, or an artist, or an album. Because it's impractical (and usually not necessary) you just take a song and pin it to a genre.

This is both helpful (because it defines boundaries and provides aim) and lovely (because the genre becomes the law any new music is judged with).

Ishkur?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Feedback?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I just listened to the mix on my laptop and I think I'm going to have to redo the entire bass part. Sounds like total rear end, very week, and doesnt sit well with the kick. Also I think the kick needs less tail and the vocals need to go.

Think I'll wait a few days before I mess around with it again though, thanks for the feedback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Gave the bass some more warmth, added more variation to the melody, some fx on vocals, idk.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 29, 2008

• Locked thread