Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

First Time Caller posted:

Now on a completely different tangent. In deadmau5's "Not Exactly" the main lead, how is it that it is really short and choppy at the beginning, and it seems that as it builds up the notes get longer and longer and longer. Does he assign his modwheel to the release knob of his synthesizer or what? It also sounds like he's modwheeling the cutoff freq at the same time. And the delay at 2:00 sounds so awesome. How was that done? Shed some insight? (Link to song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vUiL8ZIOpaM)

I'd say yes to release and cutoff freq. It could also be the filter env amount set to the mod wheel too, and the filter env decay or release increasing rather than the amp env. Not sure what you mean by the delay at 2:00 though.

WanderingKid will know. He'll also be able to tell you the genetic disorder Deadmau5's grandmother had that got passed on and made his wrist a bit weak as he moved the mod wheel. Freakishly good ears.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

have you tried asio4all?

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

DumpOrCrap posted:

First off, this is a great thread. It's really motivated me to get going making music.

Here's my question though:

I bought Reason 4 and an M-Audio Axiom 25 keyboard. I've been working through all the modules in Reason, and really like the flexibility it gives you with all the synths and effects. However, I want to start incorporating samples into what I'm doing. It seems like ReCycle is a good tool to start building your own samples, but before I run out and spend another $250 I want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck.

Would it make more sense to spend the money on Live or Logic rather than ReCycle? To the extent I wanted to continue to use Reason synths, I could ReWire them into either.

I've played around a fair bit with Live alot and have mixed feelings about it. I really like the Session view, but find the sequencer and sampler interfaces to be somewhat infuriating. I don't really have much experience with Logic. I know this question has as many answers as people answering, but does anyone have any guidance on pros / cons of each? Are there any really powerful features of ReCycle that I'm missing that would make it more attractive than the sampling features of the other two programs? Sorry for the rambling question, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Ableton 7 can now do slicing similar to what you see in ReCycle. I find recycle slightly more flexible but that's mainly because i haven't worked out how to duplicate the simpler cells in the drum thing once the loop has been split (you can't just copy and paste for some reason). Also I use stylus rmx a lot which can read rx2's, and im in no rush to abandon it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lOzMWGBOH4

If i were you i'd go for Ableton. You can ReWire Reason to Ableton. Once you have Ableton you can use VST's like Battery or Kontact for sampling as well, or just use the built in Ableton stuff in the vid above.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Ableton comes with some really good tutorials to get you started, make sure you do them. If you have the lite version, you might be able to get a cheaper copy by doing an upgrade.

From memory the lite version only lets you have 4 audio tracks and 4 midi tracks at once (or something like that). If you're only recording a couple of instruments it should do you for now, at least to the point where you can work out if its worth dropping cash on.

I'm not really familiar with turtle beach cards, I think they had a really good rep about 10 years ago. You might want to look into getting a better one, presonus firebox or edirol fa-66 are good, and the m-audio audiophile is a good basic card.

You should try and make do with what you have for now, as you do a couple of tracks you'll have a better feel for how it all works and what you need/want. It is quite a steep learning curve, but there's heaps of poo poo on the net and here as well to help you out.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

extra innings lovin posted:

Can anybody recommend a good audio interface? I need something USB/firewire, discrete audio outputs to split between PA and headphones. MIDI inputs are a plus. Right now I'm using the Tascam US-122, which works fine, but can't support multiple outputs (so no cueing/headphones)

presonus firebox/edirol fa-66 would be the next step up from a us-122 imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Altoidss posted:

Believe, me, I've been trying. I've got like 5 songs that I've been trying to tweak for weeks, and they all sound like crap. Maybe I'm just burned out for now, I don't know.

do some covers of songs you like

• Locked thread