Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Fog posted:

Any takers?

Try oscillator (hard) sync, but use a constant pitch instead of the typical "weeeooow" sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Fog posted:

What are they and how do I get them there?

Well, what's the source of the signal? I'd like to hear WanderingKid's opinion, but couldn't it be aliasing? (e.g. cheap algo).

Anacostia posted:

I want to use my mic live. I've set up my mic in live and have routed the audio to reason, but I have absolutely no idea how to "recieve" that audio in reason.

I don't think you can actually do that (otherwise Reason would've had audio tracks).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mannex posted:

Which software synth do you all use?
Paybies:
NI Komplete 5
DiscoDSP Discovery
ASynth (well, I donated and got the license)

Freebies:
Synth1
Polyiblit
U-He Zebra CM (CM stands for Computer Music, a mag that includes full "branded" versions of softsynths)
Linplug Alpha CM

quote:

Which would be the easiest for a beginner to learn? I've never made custom sounds before, and I've been doing Live's Operator lessons.

So you have made your own sounds, only as part of a lesson ;). Anyway, from that list, Synth1 is probably the easiest. Yes, it doesn't look pretty. Yes, without effects it's not going to sound "professional" (stupid term anyway). But, if you understand it, you have a solid basis to work from.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Phew. Tough choice, but I think Massive.

I love Absynth's pad sounds - some great material in there. I love FM8's options to import DX7 sounds and the weird stuff you can make. I like how Pro-53 is just simple and doesn't slaughter your CPU.

But I love, love, love Massive's interface and it's become a yardstick for other software in that aspect. Arturia? Good ideas and lovely looks, but god, the interface sucks. However, if it's not a meticulously rendered replica, people won't buy it (they put the looks above the sound).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
On presets:

There is no fairy dust involved in presets. None. There's no single thing that makes a preset somehow more magical or more bland than something you've made yourself. The exceptions are of course, samples - where the source material -is- fairy dust; and when everyone's used PROG 00: Universe and you end up doing the same after it was already played out after 5 years.

The range of sounds in a synth is like an ocean: presets are islands you can use to dive off from. They do not impede you if you want to swim.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mannex posted:

I asked my dad if he had any easy-to-use hardware synths down in the basement and he dug out one of these.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/octavecat.shtml

He's got that in the basement? Holy crap, that's awesome.

He's got any ideas of what it's worth on eBay? I hope it was treated well, but what you're saying about dust is :(.

If you say that it sounds "dirty" - as long as it's not out of tune it should be OK. Most software synths and modern synths sound a lot cleaner :). You could try to replace some capacitors (older ones age badly) but then you're already getting into soldering territory.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

extra innings lovin posted:

What was the "Eureka!" moment, per se? When did you make the switch from "loving around, making cool noises" to "making a conscious effort towards a specific sound, and knowing how to go about making that sound"?
It grew. I had a solid intuitive understanding thanks to the Juno-60 - experimented so much with it that I could basically operate it while sleeping.

I must say that the small version of this helped me a lot - a Juno is a one-oscillator synthesizer, and every sample-playback machine is one too (plus, it lacks the intuitive interface).

The Nord made me change my thinking completely; you eventually learn to do the most with a minimum amount of tools (because of DSP power).

Also, dumping Cubase and switching to Ableton helped a lot :).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

I wonder why so many people in ML seem to shy away from Logic?
For the folks in Yurp - because Apples are expensive.

Macbook US: $1099 or 700 euros
Macbook NL: 999 euros or $1560

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one of those things running Logic, but I built my own system for less and it's got more oomph, and I'm running Ableton Live mainly anyways.

To contribute with another bit; here's something I've found out that I think was a technique in the 90's. With software synthesizers and sample libraries and all that it's easy to forget one of the biggest studio workhorses in the early-mid-90's studio - the sampler. Even if it only has the memory of a goldfish, it's still usable, since here's what you can do:

- pick a sample with a lot of complex noise. I've used a cymbal from the E-mu Drumulator - nice and lo-fi.
- select a part of the sample to loop. Volume has to be somewhat equal over the entire range (but with insanely compressed drums for older drumkits, that's not hard).
- the part you loop should be small enough to have a semblance of actual pitch - so you're not just looping noise, but it should be big enough so you're not just left with a basic waveform.
- pitch it up so it's usable; the length defines the usable range
- take a decent sampler (Ableton's Simpler or Vember Audio Short Circuit - the latter has a set of amazing filters)
- throw a lowpass over it and some effects
- Ta-daa! The sound is much easier to achieve than all kinds of complex distortion chains on subtractive synths, easier to get than programming an FM synth, and it sounds good.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 10, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Ben and Stew posted:

Not in the elitist sense, but because then they can optimize the system around Apple hardware, which I obviously use.
:ssh: I hope you know that apart from a PPC G4/G5 and that's even debatable there's no such thing as "Apple hardware", right?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

the point is that apples use uniform hardware across the board so the number of variables that need to be taken into consideration are significantly lower than with PCs. but you probably knew that..
Okay, explain me in which way a multi-platform sequencer like Ableton or Cubase has to take the large variety of motherboards in account (edit: yes, there's SSE and stuff like that which AMDs don't support, there's also AltiVec which Core 2 Duo's don't support. Both are checkboxes in the compiler).

quote:

the market share among professional musicians/producers/filmmakers/artists is much higher than "overall" market share.
That I can't deny. As for making Logic Mac-only, this was only a dick move towards everyone running Logic on the PC. One of the reasons the beancounters can't dump it if it makes a loss is because the Mac will lose a good part of its artistic halo.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'd like to hear the finished/longer version of this. Solid.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The choice in audio interface (the name soundcard is used for the other stuff) depends on your budget, your needs for inputs/outputs, and what your computer offers in terms of connectivity (e.g USB or Firewire). Some audio interfaces have so-called Hi-Z inputs for guitar. As for good specs - it's more of a brand thing (which mfg offers solid drivers and good support), and, if you're into that, the A/D converters.

The advantage of an external interface is that you can use it on your desktop now and on your laptop later if that becomes your primary machine. Otherwise, I'd just get a cheap PCI card without too many frills.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

stfu salad posted:

See, I'm a complete new fish in the digital music area

Are you completely new in terms of using a keyboard, too? If not, you might want to get something bigger (e.g. the Axiom 49).

Ableton gets a lot better with a means of control. Sure, at first you're fumbling around wondering what the hell you should assign things to, but then you discover how the Macro Map stuff works and you'll be hopping on your chair, giddy with the idea.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Load up a bog-standard but energetic bouncy pop song. Put the "Fade to Grey" effects rack over it. Assign one of the knobs on the keyboard to the wet/dry rotary on screen. Set it to dry.

Play the song.

Turn the knob after a while.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Pads do what they mean - they provide padding. It fills up the mix. There's lots of different sounds that are called "pads" on synthesizers and plugins. A pad sound generally needs a few seconds to fade in and to fade out again.

A lead can be either a sound in the vintage connotation - monophonic, maybe with a little bit of portamento, and powerful enough to do soloing. Anything bright enough that cuts through the mix can function as one.

All these definitions are amorphous, soft and up to personal interpretation, though.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Another thing, can someone please write up a step by step for making a good "hard" kick sound? I can't nail it.

Leave it to someone else.

Seriously, I know I suck at kicks, so I just gave up and bought Vengeance Essential Club Sounds. Very useful pre-compressed pre-EQd kicks.

Yes, it's lazyness. Oh well, as long as the rest is mine. I'll eventually learn and replace it.

The bass sound in your example is probably not held down but triggered every time. There are a lot of approaches to this. You can take a clean bass sound and throw it through a distortion, and you're already close - of course, a lot will depend on the character of the original and the distortion. You'll however be surprised at how much will already be good enough to do the job.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 26, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.mutekki.com/shop/product_info.php/info/p169_Vengeance-Essential-Club-Sounds-Vol-2.html/XTCsid/475a869daff35eb6977759b548c93f6c

Here's an English version where you can order:

http://www.vengeance-sound.com/eng/indexFLASH.html and there's the English version of the Vengeance site.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

This is going to sound really stupid, but how do I add distortion to something with Live? The only synth I have is Analog.

There's the icon that looks like a clapperboard - this only has Live plugins. There's also an icon looking like a plugin - and you can use VST plugins that way. These http://www.simulanalog.org/ are some nice ones for distortion. Just copy the dll files to the VST plugin folder (Options > Preferences > File/Folder) - that's basically what a VST setup.exe does.

Distortion is not called that way in Live - you have the Saturator effect for this.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

The only thing I can find on that page is the SimulAnalog Guitar Suite, is that what you're talking about?

Yeah. It's got several stompbox distortions in software form.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Vengeance Essential Club Sounds, the CD I linked you to earlier.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Don't get either of them, just get a Korg Electribe S(X) or an Akai MPC. Load up the drum sounds of the 707/808/909 - freely available here and you've got it.

For the 808 or 909 there's a reason to get the originals, but you can do a LOT with good samples. For the 707 it's not worth the hassle.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Otherwise, mod the living hell out of it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WanderingKid posted:

I thought so originally but I changed my mind some time ago. Samples are fine if you can find one that sounds exactly like what you want. But I rarely see that happening so I prefer to program it and sequence it myself.
I was talking about separate samples, not loops :v:. The free versions have every knob position imaginable.

Cyne posted:

Also, what about a Novation Drum Station? I've seen both the original and v2 version going for pretty cheap on eBay. I've never used one myself but I know a ton of folks who love those Novation boxes.
I've had a v1. It has some issues (using more than 5 voices would make it barf, hence, the v2) but I'd say it gets 80% of the 909 sound. The rest of course being the elusive difference and the lack of 16-step sequencer.

Anal Surgery posted:

Since I haven't read any of you talking about Acid Studio, I can only assume that it's rookie poo poo.
Most recommendations are for Live since it is supposed to top Acid in several ways.

quote:

My question is this: how are guys like Alec Empire and Ladyscraper creating these frenetic, hostile drum beats?
[...]
Is there a certain drum program that is optimal for dnb, digital hardcore, gabber, or breakcore?
A tracker. Alec Empire has used the Amiga, Venetian Snares has Renoise.

It works so well because 64 steps (4 x 16) allow you to chop up a break in the most screwed up way imaginable and it'll still sound alright. Plus, it doesn't phase at high tempos (the old Fasttracker had a sort of multiplier that you could use to run the pattern at a set tempo of 130 bpm, but it'd scroll by 3 times as fast, for instance). Plus, Fasttracker would automatically kill a previously triggered sound if the new one was on the same track.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Anal Surgery posted:

I may be retarded, but I couldn't find any way to export/save as a wav file.
Export to wave (or Audio Mixdown) is a function of the sequencer, not of the plugin :). Since you can usually "render" to wave file, trial versions forbid you to save the plugin data (and you can get around that by taking screenshots, but that kind of sucks).

quote:

Oy vey... I perused a couple trackers and downloaded a couple demos and free ones. I feel like I did back in chemistry: "zuh?" :psyduck:

edit: Right now I'm playing with MadTracker which seems the most user-friendly to me right now.

Trackers are stepsequencers. It's FL Studio, only vertical instead of horizontal, and going 4 times as fast.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Adrenochrome posted:

Which synths should I begin learning to use?
Start with a 2 oscillator polysynth and a 3 oscillator monosynth.

Then go to FM territory, 4 or 6 operator. It's basically a complete restart - the subtractive stuff is like sculpting. You start out with a rough-hewn block of marble and chop away everything that's not like David, FM or additive is more like starting with a blank canvas and adding colors. Radically different, and seemingly harder to program as well, but capable of much more interesting sounds.

quote:

so I guess it would fall under house.
Daft Punk's house is sampled disco. Disco means

- Electric bass or Moog bass (only a few variations)
- Rhodes, Wurlitzer or piano
- strings (these are hard and samples will do the job)
- guitar (sampling this is hard, so it helps if you have a buddy with some guitar experience).

- or lots of cratedigging and hoping nobody else used what you found.

quote:

I mean I just feel like there's so much stuff to learn I don't even know where to begin!
Get to know your stuff. Dedicate time to figuring out what knobs on a synthesizer do. Get to know what you're sequencing with - how to copy, edit and route in a sequencer. Get to know your tools inside out - the solution may not be always on the internet but in that case, just push on for a week to figure something out. Balls to the wall. At the end of the week you'll most likely have your solution (or a good reason why it's not possible) and you'll be richer in experience.

It's a parallel process - while messing around you make little usable bits of loops and sounds. Save them. Yes, they'll sound ridiculous after a year, but it's experience.

quote:

I want a midi controller but I don't think I need a keyboard.
Playing chords with a mouse sucks. You don't have to get a big one, but 25 keys are really truly nice to have, especially since you can make 'm double as pushbuttons to mute/unmute tracks, or to trigger them.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Anal Surgery posted:

I was just having a hard time crafting some face-melting drum loops and a tracker was suggested to me.
trust me, if there is an easier way than trackers, I'm up for it. I'm still trying to work on WanderingKid's method also.

You could use a tracker for a set of breakbeats, render these to .wav files and import 'm in your DAW of choice.

Adrenochrome posted:

since I was citing Digital Love and Something About Us as examples.
Again, both sampled. It's almost obscene how little they changed of the original.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

wanderingkid i admire your dedication to these threads

just don't mention the virus b :v:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Yeah, my place :)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

sithael posted:

Sounds like saw waves and portamento to me.

:what:

Seriously, either give sane, reproducible advice or don't. You can not do this with saw waves in the conventional way*.

The Fog posted:

That stabby sound is just a sample that's included in every stab sample pack. Most stabs are sampled.

Exactly.

Where to find it? Old-rear end sample CDs like this.

Protip: Classical music with lots of choirs. Carmina Burana, for instance! Let's hear what happens when we sample a choir:

http://www.theheartcore.com/music/carmina_sampling.mp3

Problem solved :v:.

Pick any minor, major or fifth, make sure it's short, and load the fragment up into any software sampler. Yeah, they can do portamento, too. Try the same with old disco and pop music, you'll be surprised at the results (and the fact that you don't have to pay anything to clear these samples since they're almost impossible to trace back to the source.).

edit: This is why recreating the lead chord sound of James Brown Is Dead on any synthesizer is so goddamn hard.

* the unconventional way is to take an additive synthesizer with complex envelopes and 20,000 partials, and then to resynthesize everything so you end up with the separate sinewaves. You can do this either the clever automated way with a dose of Matlab or the manual way with a dose of autism.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 12, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Mandatory material:

http://www.vimeo.com/1309545

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

oredun posted:

it sounds like some typical ravy supersaw stabs to me
Supersaws sound different from this.

They're not as choir-like as the example, they weren't invented in the early 90s, and they're unlikely to be resampled. This is classic rave re-done - in fact, the track is almost a preset gallery from material they used back then.

quote:

it dosnt really sound like the chopped up sample you posted.
It does not sound the same because I picked a (most likely not even the right one) fragment from the Carmina Burana, and not from another heavy choir-laden piece of classical music that it could've come from.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Piuro posted:

I was thinking about getting a MIDI piano, specifically one of the M-Audio ones with the pads on them (since you can get student discounts on them at journeyed). I'm torn between the Axiom 25 and the Axiom 25.
I assume you mean 25 and 49? :v:

quote:

Anyone have any advice on this for someone new?
Stick with 25 keys if you know for sure that you're not exactly planning to play on something bigger ever or you want to travel. If you're talking about piano, even 49 would be not enough - but it's that digital pianos don't come in small sizes (and the Yamaha NP30 which has 76 keys is really cheap but feels cheap, too).

I had a Korg Micro-X which had only 25 keys. Heck, even the 49 keys of my Xboard didn't seem much (I'm raised on 61 keys) and had me octaving up and down. The 25 was incredibly limited to play with so I mostly hooked it up to another board which gave me full range.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Okay, I've given up on hardcore.

I really love hardcore (lame, I know), but it's just too drat hard to get the beat and bass right.
You've got the beat right, just not the bass. Quantize! Also, it's not doing much besides the bassdrum, so I'm guessing you got VEC and had a "okay, what now" feeling.

edit; the hoover confirms this.

1) the volume of the bass sound is not in relation to the volume of the hoover. Am I right in the guess that you have 2.1 computer speakers and your subwoofer makes it sound alright? Replace these ASAP, you could even get passive monitor speakers for cheap and they'll be tons better than Logitech 2.whatevers.

2) A TR-909 has 16 steps. Think in those 16 steps. 4 beats : 16 steps. So, your kick (bassdrum) looks like:

code:
0123456789ABCDEF
x---x---x---x---

then your bass could look like this:
code:
0123456789ABCDEF
--xx--xx--xx--xx

For regular trance:
code:
0123456789ABCDEF
-x---x---x---x--

or for oldschool UK hardcore (this also depends on the sound: an electric bass sample works good for this
code:
0123456789ABCDEF
x-xxx-xxx-xxx-xx

16 steps is your god. You will worship 16 steps at your altar every day. You will sacrifice small pets, bottles of Mt. Dew and bags of Doritos to 16 steps. OBEY. 16 STEPS RULES.

Now, as for your hoover sound, try placing it like this (in a 32-step pattern)
code:
0123456789ABCDEF 0123456789ABCDEF 
x-----x-----x--- --x-----x---x---  
This will at least solve some of the rather grating rhythm issues you have. After that, we'll end up at the melodic issues; your bass plays at C and A, your hoover sample is a G#. Transpose it up a semitone or transpose your bass down (the first is easier).

This is why FL Studio is good at that - one of its interfaces does exactly this. This is why trackers are good at this; they have 4 x 16 steps in each pattern. This is why everyone loves the gently caress out of Reason's ReDrum.

Post your stuff, the rest of us'll be the judge.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 15, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Are you talking about that sound that comes in after everything fades out like halfway through?
Yes. The really loud one.

quote:

How do I figure out what keys things are?
Pick a preset that has a regular piano sound. Put on a simple folk or pop song. Try to find the root note by trying every key.

quote:

I know nothing of music theory really. Is there a good book I can read that will explain this to me?
Start with http://www.chordmaps.com/

quote:

I don't understand what you're talking about with the 16 step thing, also. Can you break it down into more simple elements? When you talk about 16 steps are you talking about 4 measures with four beats per measure?

In all dance music, there's the kick drum.

It goes *dunk* *dunk* *dunk* *dunk*

If you take a look at this here: http://www.d16.pl/images/drumazon/drumazonBig.jpg

you see that there is a row of buttons on the bottom.

To get *dunk* *dunk* *dunk* *dunk* on this machine, you make sure buttons nr. 1, 5, 9 and 13 are lit. When you start from zero, it means buttons 0, 4, 8 and 12 are lit.

Let's draw this stuff in ASCII

code:
01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16
X-----------X-----------X-----------X----------
Now let's subtract 1 from each number, convert it to hexadecimal code and remove a bunch of dashes:

code:
0123456789ABCDEF
x---x---x---x---
That's what the 16-step diagrams actually mean; they tell you what you should switch on. This converts 1:1 to FL Studio's pattern thingy which even has row nr. 1 with the same pattern marked as "kick".

http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/stepsequencer.htm

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Remixers get the vocals or track parts from the artist/studio themselves and aren't allowed to hand 'm out. Some of 'm leak, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFCjv4_jqAY this won't do the job for you either (well, it can do it but the sound quality will suffer and it depends on the separation of the instruments).

Solution: get the sheet music or learn to listen and transcribe.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

modernlifeisadam posted:

but I really have no idea how to do this
At the point of duh, obvious - make sure the rest of the track stays the gently caress away from that frequency range.

quote:

to any site that has a lot of free drum sounds
If everything free sucks, just buy a sample CD. They aren't that expensive. Alternatively: http://www.paradigmx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=55 > and start cutting these things up in bits.

http://www.ueberschall.com/
http://www.zero-g.co.uk/

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What do you mean by "routing"? As in, you have a bunch of MIDI devices, a MIDI interface, and you want to connect port X to Y?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ShaunEMO posted:

But I've read a few things about Cubase being a better choice for sequencing and what-not.
It basically does one big thing Reason doesn't - audio tracks (yes, I know about the Apogee dithering and the Media bay and the surround poo poo but honestly, who uses this).

quote:

I'd also like to do a little playing with Ableton Live as well for live stuff.
Unlike Cubase this has a pretty functional demo so go ahead and try it.

Get the 49-key version, it has sliders. Yes, the faders are motorized, but it's a bit of overkill if you combine it with the Axiom - unless you were looking for an audio interface anyway.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Yes. So will http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XMIDI1x1/ which is cheaper, and if you ever plan on buying more synths there's a 2 in, 2 out version for not much more.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Wogosphere posted:

Vocal effect plugins?

I'm looking for something that would make anything coming from the microphone like it was recorded by BBC circa 1954, not the radio fuzz but the metallic tinny quality in the sound and the odd spatial echo it causes. Would anybody remember any plugin that would get even close to that, no matter what its original purpose is?

Exactly what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WanderingKid posted:

I just bought an Oberheim Xpander
Holy poo poo, congratulations.

quote:

so I'm now in the market for a semi weighted velocity sensitive midi controller keyboard with aftertouch (preferably something between 49 and 76 keys and as small as possible).

My local stocks alot of the keyboards you can find on Thomann and I did try the more compact m-audios, novations and CME keys but I didn't really like any of them. The novation 4 octave keyboard was alright but it was outrageously expensive for what it was. For not much more money I could just buy another Access Virus only this time with a keyboard attached. I've played a kB and I thought the keyboard was better anyway.
Sadly, the kB's keyboard can nowhere be found - I don't think Fatar puts it in a separate keyboard. On the other hand, the Fatar controllers may be what you're looking for - it's just that they're knobless so you want to have an extra box w/ sliders and knobs.

Basically, all controllers suck and I was disappointed that my Xboard was one of the best of 'm.

Alternatively, a Yamaha CS6x has a few knobs and feels nice.

tgijsola posted:

So after watching some videos I've fallen in love with the elektron machinedrum, but at $1500 it's pretty well out of my price range.

Are there any cheaper (preferably hardware) alternatives that compare?
No such thing.

What is your pricerange, by the way? A Korg ESX will do the job with samples, and the quirky sounds of the MD have to be remade then - so you record a bunch of different synthetic drums of all kinds and you get the lit buttons and the nice programming, but not the flexibility in sounddesign.

IanTheM posted:

If anyone lives in Vancouver, there's a little guitar store on Granville Street (before downtown) that has a Juno 106 and a Juno 60 on sale. I'm not sure about the prices, somewhere in the 400-500 dollar range each. If you want to sound like Boyz Noize though. . . .
A Juno won't make you sound like Boyz Noize :(. Massive will.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 3, 2008

• Locked thread