Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My workflow is so convoluted that I haven't finished a track in three years. I get distracted with my pretty hardware FX rack and end up doodling around with the 4 tap delay on my rack, and forget to write the track. By the time I've revisited it, I'm no longer hip to the lukewarm 4-bar loop I laid down.

I'm going to try a more structured approach and also turning off my FX rack until I am done with the track composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've been producing drum and bass and related genres for about 12 years now, on and off. I'm just now getting back into it after about a five-year hiatus from dnb. here's something I slapped together over the weekend. You'll smell lots of neurofunk and atmospheric in my tracks. It's longer than Vietnam because I focus on DJ-friendly material.

Apps: Renoise 2.0, couple of VSTi's.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 7, 2009

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I may. It sounds "cool", but to be honest I didn't spend enough time finding some good vocal stuff to throw on top. Appreciate the comment.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh man, I just got a wild hair up my rear end and pulled my Akai S2800 setup out of the closet.

Goodbye afternoon.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

slardel posted:

some experimental whatever https://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/you-are-not-to-blame, I never really work with vocals so this was cool to do

You have a great ear for mixing and keeping dynamics. Nice!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CareyB posted:

There's a closed hat on the off beats here and there but its quite hidden away in the mix, and I considered adding a new one in for the second drop, though I quite like the vibe it has right now. There's no compression on my percussion kit, mostly because it's all high hats except the clap and snare (and a tom later on). Take it this what you mean by parallel compression?

I'll experiment with these on Thursday when I next get a chance. Done stressing over it for a day or so!

Parallel compression isn't really a common trick, but it can be used very effectively.

What you do is take a submix of your drums (via sends or whatever) and run them through a compressor, set pretty heavily. 10:1, 20:1 is not unheard of. This is a pretty brickwalled mix and would sound TERRIBLE if you ran it by itself. But what you do is run almost 100% dry drums and fade up the brickwalled drums until it sounds better. It's a good way of adding sort of a passive air/breathing/motion to a drum clip, without hosing the actual dynamics - you get the good transients and rhythm of uncompressed drums, but get that juicy, energetic pumping going on too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I think it is vitally important to learn the basic block diagram of a mixing desk when dealing with DAW software. Once you learn the concept of a 'channel strip', and what sends and subgroups are, and how they all split out and then are mixed back in, managing signal flow in Logic and other DAWs becomes a lot easier.

I don't meant to condescend to any of the newer folks with this statement; it's just a fact that the DAWs are generally structured around the paradigm of a mixing desk, which has been the standard recording 'interface' for like 50 years now, so some of us don't even really think about it any more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I bought a 61 key, and am really glad I did; not because I can play keys well (I really can't), but because I can run two synths, each with a two-octave range, and still have one octave left over for a third synth or some pads or maybe transposing loops. It's really flexible and useful. The 25's are good if you're writing in a cramped dorm room or airport terminals, but if you can spare the scratch and room for a 49 or larger, definitely do so.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't layer the kicks at the patch level, but I do run a subby kick and a clicky kick for a lot of more techno-y things, and run them in separate tracks. Most of the time they are in lockstep, but sometimes I mix up a pattern here and there and just want one sample or the other. This also allows me some more tonal variations due to individual velocity channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Your kick is a little too big for a psy-ish track. A lot of psy uses very tight, scooped kicks - this gives room for that bass line. I think if you rein in the kick some, suck out most of that 'body' it has and add some click, you'll make a bit of room for your bassline - which in my opinion could use from a little higher cutoff and more mid.

My biggest suggestion for writing psy/goa stuff is to watch your envelopes and releases. There's so much going on that if you don't meticulously maintain your env's and trails, you'll have poo poo firing off on top of each other and it will turn into a big mess. Keep those drum samples tight, no releases on bass tones and minimal release on lead/fx tones - psy generally goes more with delay and arpeggiation for 'space-filling' versus big long releases.

• Locked thread