Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I posted a thread in here at the end of last year asking what sort of MIDI Controller I should get, and the consensus was that the M-Audio Axiom was the best for my price range. So I got the 49-key one for Christmas and started making music that day. I guess I'd still be considered a beginner since I've only been making music for a few months.

I've made a bunch of tracks (and a few of them are up on my music MySpace, https://www.myspace.com/aetheriusnola), but they pretty much all sound the same and most aren't even in the genre of electronic music I'd really like to make: drum and bass.

The ones I've made that have come out sounding sort of like DNB, I made those using multiple drum loops in Reason and just fiddling with the sliders on my Axiom. I'm sure this isn't the most efficient method, but I don't know how else to do it.

I've watched some tutorial videos on Youtube and the like, but I'm still not really getting how to do it after watching those.

Can anyone give me easy to understand instructions on how to make some DNB sounds so I can get started doing this?

I have Reason 4, FL Studio 7, and Native Instruments Massive to work with, so whichever is easier to learn with would be preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Packed Tightly posted:

break stuff

Thanks for the tips, and I'm sure they'll be useful once I know what I'm doing, but like I said before, I'm a beginner. All these breaks are wave files that I don't know what to do with. I use Reason for everything I do and I don't even think it recognizes wave files.

To give you an idea of how much I know: I know what breaks are and what Amen is and where it came from and all, I just don't know how to use them with the program I mainly use (Reason).

I don't know how to set up the bass in Reason to get it to sound like DNB, either.

Could someone, in simple terms, explain to me how to get some basic DNB-sounding stuff in Reason so that I can mess around with it and make a track out of it (even if it's a really basic one)?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 3, 2008

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yoozer posted:

AWESOME

Thanks a lot :) That bass is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm trying to do the drum stuff right now.

This is a great help.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This may or may not be a stupid question, but if I wanted to play a live show by myself, how would I go about doing that?

I have an Axiom 49 and Reason, so I'd need a laptop obviously for portability, but what other stuff? Amp-wise, there's only one kind of amp, right? Like, I could use the same one for both a guitar and my Axiom? Or am I wrong about that?

I don't plan on doing this soon, I'd just like to have all the information straight so that I can start getting all the materials for when I would want to do it.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 18, 2008

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

breaks posted:

There's no one answer here, it really depends on what you want to do exactly and your personal preferences. You would need to provide more information on what your goals are and what kind of music you want to make. Backing tracks are still the most common thing, but are tough to get away with in a one-man act.

As far as the guitar amp stuff, well, no. The amp itself will basically work if you set the levels right or if the amp has got a line input, but I wouldn't recommend it. The speakers/cabs are completely different. Guitar speakers are very uneven, they function as a fairly drastic EQ on the guitar sound.

Generally places that regularly have live music would have some kind of PA system and so you would not need an amp or speakers at all for the stuff coming out of the laptop. You would just go from your audio interface to their system.

I posted my music MySpace earlier on in this thread, but here it is again: http://www.myspace.com/aetheriusnola. I've got a few recordings up there, and post a new song every week or so. The style varies from ambient and post-rock-ish stuff to drum-and-bass. Sort of whatever I feel like playing at the time, but it's all electronic.

I wouldn't plan on using any backing tracks. The way I make most of my songs is looping a few different instruments and then switching between others to play live. It's all done in Reason.

I'd say it's pretty basic. I got my Axiom for Christmas and prior to that I'd had no experience with anything like this. So really I've only been making music for ~5 months.

I have a bunch of friends that are in local bands, and I go to see them pretty often. All the venues where they play are the same ones where I would want to play, and all of those have speaker systems. So with that being the case, all I'd need to buy would be a laptop and audio interface then?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anyone know if there's a way to change the tempo of Dr. Rex loops in Reason? Usually when I went to have one slower than another, I'll just open up a seperate window of Reason for that one because I don't want to change the master tempo. It would be a fuckton easier if I knew how to change them individually.

I've tried clicking around the area in the display where it shows up, because that works for the master tempo, but it didn't do anything.

• Locked thread