Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Christof
Oct 6, 2005
For sve Homeland!
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you guys contributing to this thread, it has helped many ( as well as myself ) with a few things. I have been DJing for awhile, but I havn't really touched production although I own Reason. To me, Reason has seemed like this giant Mountain of painful learning that takes forever, so getting started is hard. There are so many knobs and sliders, It's hard to know where to start. Although, This has given me a little motivation.

edit: :siren: Possible ideas for this thread :siren:

I think a few good topics to cover would be musical theory, good books or classes to take. Instruments to learn or basics of chords and keys. Subtractive synthesis. Mixing specific genres with examples. Also, ultimately, I think a lot of producers would like to take their music live to the club, so good ideas for topics would be on how to promote yourself and land gigs at clubs. Possibly good stuff to use ( for example, M audio Midi controllers vs Korg Kaos pads, samplers, etc.) Vinyl vs CD/mp3 tables, speakers, monitors, etc...

I will contribute what I know ( which isn't much, I'm very novice), but a good decent resource is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=ellaskins&page=1

I know this is about making electronic music, but mixing and making goes hand in hand and this guy has hundreds of videos on youtube that are VERY very informative.

I know I'm being pretty vague, but there is a poo poo ton of resources out there, and we should try to cover most of the bases.

edit: Also, I apologize in advance if I am derailing by going into mixing and doing gigs.

Christof fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christof
Oct 6, 2005
For sve Homeland!

Altoidss posted:

This won't help you but thank GOD dude I have had that song stuck in my head for so long and I had no idea what it was!

Anyway, crosspost from my own thread:

Alrighty, after a long exile due to school, I have an updated version of Gladius:

I'm not sure I'm too happy with it. I panned out some of the instruments, per the suggestions in the other thread. I put an EQ on pretty much everything, and turned on the mastering suite also. I changed the sound of the high saws and the arpeggio, and I cleaned up a lot of the sequencing. I sidechained the arpeggio as well, but I tried to make it not that immediately obvious. I also deleted 8 bars that I thought disrupted the flow of the song. Tell me what you guys think!

This is just from a standpoint of liking the song or not, as I don't know poo poo about mastering or reason, But I really like the song itself, and it sounds pretty good.

edit: Kind of off topic, I've seen quite a few rather good djs use the individual channel mixers (volume levels?) to do their mixes and never touched the crossfader once. Is that just preference?

Christof fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 20, 2008

• Locked thread