Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Days of Crisco
Dec 3, 2005

by Peatpot
If anyone here is annoyed by all the piano roll interfaces or is a tracker junkie I'd highly suggest Renoise, it's only about $50 and theres a fully functional demo (except export to wav) available to try it out. Venetian Snares uses it pretty much exclusively as it is alot easier to chop up breaks in a tracker environment. It's also very intuitive and constantly upgraded. I use it to make IDM/ambient/8 Bit music and it works quite well. Hope I recruited some new Renoise fans with this post. :)

http://www.renoise.com/

edit: In case anyone is interested in the technical side of synthesis/making music I'd recommend puredata. It's a audio/visual dataflow patcher and the free cousin of the $600 software MaxMSP (which Autechre uses, for example). It's somewhat complex at first but after a while basic knowledge builds up and you can create basic sequencers, drums and synths. It can also be used to prototype making your own music software and is ALOT easier than programming something from scratch. It is expandable with C/C++ if any of you guys are also programmers. If I remember correctly there is also a VST external which lets you integrate your patches into any VST compatible software and run them like regular VST instruments/effects.

It can do absolutely everything that MaxMSP can and with the GEM external you can also render images/edit video/make games, the price difference stems from a pretty interface and a more indepth documentation. It's native to Linux and there's even a CD bootable distribution centered around it: https://devel.goto10.org/puredyne

But to those only interested in making music, Renoise is the way to go.

Last Days of Crisco fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread