Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

I feel dumb asking this but when I hear a really sick synth line in a song I always wonder how they went about doing it.

I have been listening to Danger's 14H54 and I've been wanting to know how you make such a beautiful sound.
http://www.myspace.com/2emedanger

This sounds seems to be popular throughout the electronica dance scene, and I want to know if anybody knows what they could possibly use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

Yoozer posted:

it's great that you provide an example

however it sort of sucks that you don't tell us at which time the sound can be heard

So, if you give us a time when this "beautiful" sound kicks in (I'm not one to judge :v: ) that'd be cool.

Christ I'm dumb hell, Sorry about it. :doh:
There are two kind of beautiful sounds in here(and when I mean beautiful I mean sleazy, crunchy and that sounds like you put a screaming baby and someone grinding their nails on a chalkboard into a combinator and added flanger)

The main one starts at the 0:03 and there is this bassy sound at 1:04

It sounds kind of string-y

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

Yeah, I always loved that ducking sounds that's always in French House. In Reason I created Sidechaining compression by adding a M-class compressor and a Spider audio merge/splitter and wiring them into what needed the oompf(in this case the redrums with the bass drumset). It's most definitely been working well for me.

But it's that stringy/chrunchy sound is what i'm been trying to create. It's like a combination of strings and some leads, I don't even know. no matter how much time I put into I can't get even close and it ends up hurting both me and my roommates ears.

Also, IanTheM... How's logic?
I've been really wanting to get it seeing the only DAWs I'm working with is Reason 4 and Ableton 6 lite(I'm updating this hopefully next month so I can get a good sequencer), and EVERYBODY and their uncle seems to be using logic telling me "it's the industry standard"
Does it have good VST support? what makes it so special?

Sevyplates fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 2, 2008

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

CodeMaster posted:

Limits in scene numbers made us buy it, I don't remember the details, but I think it was something ridiculous like 4 or 6.

Yeah it's 8. I'm in the process of getting Ableton 7 through the student discount, and I'm so excited I can't poo poo straight. I've been looking forward to this forever and i'm sick of the Live lite version. 4 audio and midi track maximum? jesus christ...

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

Man, I hate to be this guy... But does anyone have a clue on how to get this slingy bass wave sound?

http://www.circlebar.org/hipster15/Nightdrive%20With%20You%20%28GRUM%27s%20New%20Wave%20Remix%29.mp3
It starts at 0:02

I was thinking I could recreate it in Native's Massive or Reason's Thor but every time I think i'm getting closer it end up being completely off :(

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

IanTheM posted:

Either you have to play with the envelope filters, or there's an option for how the note de-tunes itself over the its course. It's a very common pre-set in many programs I'm pretty sure. Though I'm sure you probably know most of what I've said. :/

I'd also like to take this, how the opportunity to ask how the hell Justice managed to create that epic whooshing noise in Genesis that comes in at 1:12, and is the basis for the entire Chewey Chocolate Cookies remix?

Yeah the env fiters were my first guess (and I probably will achieve it if I play with it enough) but I couldn't get that sling to it. I guess it's back to the drawing board, thank you though :)

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

extra innings lovin posted:

First shot
I love the rises, maybe make the kick a little fuller?
I've listened to it at least three times and the piano solo surprises me every time and I really enjoy it's unexpectancy. :)
Your claps during the solo seem a little too mechanic. Maybe add a little reverb to make it sound more organic?

Altoidss posted:

Amazing Piece.

Sounds like an assembly line set to high volume!
I'm using headphones so I can't comment on the sub bass concern. Around the 60%ish marker it became a bit to predictable but overall I liked it. Awesome composition!

I have a question for the synth crew...

I've been wrapping my head around the synth sound that takes place in Empire Of The Sun's walking in a dream.
http://www.myspace.com/empireofthesunsound
It starts immediately.

It's so foggy, but bright at the same time. I feel like I can get close to it in Reason's Thor or in the subtractor, but it's either ends up being to bright or too muddy.

any suggestions?

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

I made an Electro Remix of Ultraviolet Sound's "Babyz", I like it but it feels like the composition is lacking a bit. I dunno...

Can someone give it a listen and tell me what you think?
http://www.zshare.net/audio/201142917cd0186a/

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

Vector 7 posted:

Something I've started to experiment with has been using a new kind of production method in the style of Wolfgang Gartner. Here's a video showing what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2XpyNYB11U

I'm still working on building something decent with it. Anyone have any advise for using this technique?

The most important thing about that real popular gartner sound is to keep all your samples in key, that's the reason why they're jiving together rather than sounding like noise.
Try this, create a synth line and bounce it up and down a scale and tweak the filter, envelopes and LFO settings like a mad man. After you have done this for a while, recording the sounds, create another(different) synth and play the exact same line while tweaking more parameters.
Do it again and again till you have a little "library" of these sounds to call upon.

When arranging, put the "glitch" clips on ever 1/4th and/or 1/8th bar and play around with it till it sounds nice.
Oh, and don't forget when your composing the line to go up and down octaves.

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

Meatsplosion posted:

Dickin around with a bit of electro, any thoughts so far? :)
http://soundcloud.com/simon_nelson/heliopause

It sounds great. I enjoyed how you bring in the bass synth in only to drop it in the breakdown, and some real tasteful reverb. Although you have so many nice melodies going on in here it was a shame you didn't stretch out that filtered melody at the end and left like 4 bars of just outro kick/snare/clap. That's just a preference on my part though, so besides that I like it.

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

My last several Sundays have played out like this:

1) Listen to top tracks on Soundcloud and get inspired.
2) Open Ableton/Massive to try to make music.
3) Realize I suck, get frustrated and close Ableton.
4) Repeat 1-3

Made this tonight: http://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/mau5-melodeez. Mix needs work. There's kind of a wall of sound thing going on near the end and the drums need to get punched up a bit.

Welcome to my world. The moment I open Ableton/Sylenth and try to produce the sound in my head I end up getting bummed out because I can't pinpoint what exactly I want, simplifying my workflow can only go so far.

Nice work by the way, keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Also I have a general question for the thread. When I listen to professionally produced songs usually there are a lot of little touches or flourishes that give a lot of character and fullness to a song. Like a little burst of white noise, or a quick vocal sample, or a "ding," or a couple tom tom hits out of nowhere.. My tracks sound really simple to me, and maybe this just takes a lot of practice and good listening, but how does one add little touches like that? Sometimes I try to add a quick vocal bit or extra percussion but it's usually jarring and ugly.

A simple answer for this is that it's probably placed in a heavily occupied frequency range so your hits may be trying to compete for attention against a lead/bass/drums/whatever. You should have a spectrum open and see where parts in your song kind of lack dynamics and insert something there. It's real tempting to hear something cool in a sample pack and try to throw it in but chances are it won't work. You can try downpitching the sample or you could make room in your mix for it if a vocal is that important.

• Locked thread