Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Altoidss posted:

Also, since my current computer is extremely low performance, I'm in the market for a Mac (I want to start using Logic). If I were to get a laptop, what would be the minimum suggested specs I could get away with? I want to save as much money as possible.

You don't have many options.

Any of them will be fine with Logic, although I'd at least get an aluminum one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there some way to make Ableton switch between patterns 1 and 2 at certain times in my song or what is the best way to sequence both my Redrum loops into my Ableton?

No.

quote:

Should I just give up and record the actual sound output from Reason?

Yes.

Save your Reason project in case you want to come back and edit later, but other than that, flatten that bitch.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Self Important posted:

$200 max

A Radium or an Oxygen8?

I'd spend an extra $50 and get an Axiom, though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you group a device (Apple+G), you can have multiple devices sharing the same track.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

astrodawg posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/kddn

My attempt at music. Any feedback would be appreciated.

To me it sounds like you just took a bunch of loops and presets you found and pasted them together. It's pretty awful.
Leads are too grating, the main is spread too far (there's a big gap in the center of the stereo field), the gated hit doesn't flow well, and they're way too bassy. Also, having pretty much every lead be a bright supersaw is making them clash. Very presetty sounding.

The drums are alright, kind of boring though. The cymbal is throwing me off.Overall, pretty boring. It feels like the song has no flow or no solid progression.

Some of the transitions are terrible, like the 3:10 mark.

It doesn't sound like you're making poor musical decisions, it sounds like you don't really know what you're doing. Overall, I'm not saying it's not worth working on, but you're at maybe 15% completion.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

second best sponge posted:

My question is besides messing with LFO and filters, how can I get better at shaping sounds into exactly what I have in my head? Maybe I just need some more practice at it but I was really excited when I got things to sound like what the book said they would sound like. I just don't want to get stuck making the same sounds over and over.

Use the different Operator routing algorithms, and use independent amp envelopes for your oscillators.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Damien posted:

This was done entirely in FL8:

It shows. I have no idea where you were going with this. It sounds like you just mashed a bunch of different sounds together.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

toadee posted:

like you mixed up different Mr Potato Head sets or something.

I'm going to start using this.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Someone give me some feedback on this. It's the start of a remix which I might send to OCR. It's just the first 35 seconds or so.

I'm mainly looking for feedback on the mixing, but anything is welcome. I'm trying to sculpt the spectrum.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kuakuwqmota

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

wayfinder posted:

ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/wayfinder/mp3/wayfinder_-_the_dreaming_void.mp3

Bass too loud (lovely mixing), too short.. anything else i can fix for the final?

I didn't find the bass too loud, but I'm not on the flattest of speakers, either. The huge hits are loving AWESOME.

I guess my only complaint is that it lacks anything to make it super unique. It sounds like something I'd find in the middle of an A State Of Trance album. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's not Pjanoo.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is a convalescent (whatever the hell it's called) reverb really worth it?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Fog posted:

Convolution and yes!
I usually use convolution reverb for acoustic elements and algorithmic reverb for synthetic elements, but you can do it either way.
Convolution sounds really authentic, but a lot of tracks use algorithmic reverbs (like the Lexicon 480) so that may be the sound you're ultimately after.

Either way, you should get at least 1 high quality reverb of each category and learn the sound of them and see what works for each specific track.

Personally, I like TC verb better, but Lex is nice and I'd consider it. I was considering getting a hardware reverb, like a really solid one.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Elder posted:

What's the easiest way to see what MIDI data a plugin is sending? Is there a plugin that will do this?

Doesn't the Scale device in Live do this? Well, something like it at least. Only note data, though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Afro Thunder posted:

Hey quick question on it.

Been DJing for a few years, and planning to at least attempt a crossover into Producing. I'm trying to decide between Ableton Suite 8 and Logic Studio. Should I jump into those programs right away or get maybe Logic Express? I have a huge discount on Logic Studio ($300) available to me through my relative who works at Apple and was thinking of jumping on that since its a really good price for a relatively expensive piece of software.

Don't get Logic Express. If you're a student Logic Pro is I think $150.

That being said, I like Live. The advantage of Live is that you can use it is a performance tool as well, if you're into laptop DJing.

Either one's fine. Get the 14-day trial from Ableton and try it out before you buy anything. I don't know if Logic has a trial or not.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Afro Thunder posted:

Doesn't the main stage feature of Logic do the same thing? I like Ableton a bit from seeing it in action. Only recently have I seen DJs use it with triggers along with DJing to do some pretty crazy mixing.

I think so, but I've never used Mainstage, nor have I heard of any serious performers using it. Not saying it's impossible, just saying it's not really that used from what I've seen.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you use the Scale device in Live, it'll automatically adjust notes to fit the scale you select. EG, if you set Scale to C minor and you hit E, it would adjust it down a half step.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Yoozer posted:

Instead of "Audio From", try "Resample".

What's the difference between Audio From and Resample? Say if I have audio track 1 and I want to pipe it into audio track 2?

For some reason whenever I do this it takes me like three selections before I get it working.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm having a bitch of a time getting the super-saturated wall-of-bass sound that's so active in trance and house right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8eiSA4vqc

I know the kick/bass sidechaining, but I seem to just end up with a sound that's bassy as all hell, but pretty much overtakes the entire mix. Anyone suggest?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Blemish posted:

I've got this M-Audio Axiom 25, and it seems to work well enough, but I can't use the pads/keyboard/knobs independent of whatever .vst is running. Ideally, I'd like to have my eight pads loaded with my samples while my keyboard controls synth software, but neither M-Audio or Image-Line have been any help. Can I really only use one feature at a time? Seems pretty limited. Any ideas?

By Image-Line, I presume you're using Fruity Loops?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Has anybody used a Presonus FireBox?

I was thinking of getting something for my OSX Laptop, a smaller interface. It has the I/O's I need, I'm just wondering the quality of the product, the preamps, etc.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Harminoff posted:

Is there any videos on how to make some simple beats in ableton? Like simple hip hop beats? I've watched some videos on youtube, but they seem to all focus on parts of ableton.

I just want a beginners video to start, with creating a simple drum and bass line to work with.

I'm completely knew at ableton and don't know where to jump in.

Doesn't Live have a creating beats tutorial built-in?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

oredun posted:

i would get some software first. try ableton. dont get hardware for a while, i really think most of the midi stuff(read: maschine) will be worth 10% of its original value and be obsolete in a few years so unless you KNOW you need it, i think it could be a huge waste. if you do want hardware, start with the classic old cheap poo poo. music production gear is very confusing at first and its very hard to know what you really want.

just my opinion tho.

This is the worst. What kind of hardware are you using that loses 90% of it's value in a few years? So you're telling me that I can get an "obsolete" Virus for $150 on the street?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I say you get a decent DAW, no interface, and a cheap controller to try it and see if you even like it, first. Get something like an Axiom with pads/keys all-in-one so you don't have to get a separate keyboard/drum pads.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Terrible Horse posted:

What kind of computers are everyone using to make tracks. I'm asking because Im using a 2.66ghz single core with 2 gig ram, which isnt top of the line by any means, but my cpu just hit 325% while trying to play back a tune that has 14 tracks in it. No vsts. This cant be right. I can afford another computer :(

My old computer was a 1.83 GHZ Core Duo (not core 2) with 1.5 gigs of RAM and it was fine.

My guess is your computer runs lovely, or you've got some crazyass settings in your DAW.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

quake_and_quake_and posted:

If you render with FL, no amount of effort or equalization will ever make it not sound like poo poo. True Story.

Fixed that for you.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fists Up posted:

Is there a reason in live 7 that it keeps resetting my sounds when using some VSTs. For example lets say I have a sound made with Synth 1 which is then saved in one of the banks. I make my little loop and its all well and good. Then when I hit play it reverts back to one of the presets. Before it was reverting back to the very first sound and I would have to change it mid loop. Now its reverting back to some random unset sound every time I hit play.

Its very loving annoying

The MIDI file you imported has automation attached.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Live Lite is worthless. The only thing it's good for is getting a discount on the full version.

I remember there being some ridiculously low limitations on the amount of Ableton devices and plugins you could have, making it pretty much unusable for anything other than a step up from Sound Recorder.exe

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 27, 2009

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

I'm under the impression that having two different instruments playing on notes a half step away from each other is a bad thing; for instance if I have a blip play on Eb5 while a pad is playing below on D5, it won't sound so good. True? What about if the notes are several octaves away (my sub's sine wave, for instance)?

If they're in the same scale, just try it and see if it sounds like poo poo or not. If the sound is low enough you can't pull any notational qualities (if that's a word) from it, it just sounds like a rumble. If you have a 40hz sine wave going, nobody is going to be like "Whoa, that sub is out of key", it's too low to tell.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Anacostia posted:

Why can't I midi-map the crossfader in Ableton? It will only let me bind the the center, left and right positions but won't let me bind the just fader. I've looked on google with no luck... Help?

It let me do it with a pot on an Oxygen8.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mannex posted:

Is there any sort of keyboard-playable sampler that transposes samples up and down, but doesn't lengthen or shorten the measure I've sampled, or does it require too much computation to be doable in a playable "real-time" sampler?

I'm pretty sure you can do this in Live, either with Sampler or with clever hacking of racks.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are the oscillators/detune/filter settings for the lead in Insomnia?

I keep ending up with acid.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Fog posted:

That's a chorded pizzicato sample drenched in reverb. No oscillators necessary :)

Luckily, I have such a thing. I thought it sounded like pizz strings, but for some reason I was thinking it was purely synthetic.

I'll hack it with a synth and see what I come up with, too.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ashgromnies posted:

My cat broke the tonearm on one of my 1200s. What's the cheapest way to get it replaced?

Where can I get dustcovers?

Should I buy a Korg EMX1 for $250 from my friend(I'm pretty sure the answer to that is YES)

First result is here: http://www.planetdj.com/i--SL-12-TONEARM-B
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd6_LZxDdcg

There's some vinyl covers on Amazon, I'm not sure if the MK2's and MK5's use the same kind though, because of the latch on the MK2's.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Captain Queernabs posted:

This is a really informative thread! I've browsed it, but 63 pages is a lot - if a question like this has already come up then please forgive me.

I suddenly have a lot of free time on my hands and have been offered a M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller for $50 -- which is about all I can afford right now. If I'm just looking to "mess around," is this enough hardware for me? I'm using a Sony VAIO with a dual 2ghz CPU.

I know how to use a keyboard and can play piano. I'm just looking for something that will let me plunk in a few notes, adjust the way they sound, and then go back and add to it -- musical doodling, if you will. I've already got Audacity and wouldn't mind trying out the demos of a program or two, but there are enough programs with lists of pros and cons that I feel a little overwhelmed trying to decide which features and options I want.

Edit: I'm dualbooting Windows 7 and Ubuntu, if that makes a difference.

poo poo, I'd buy an Oxygen8 for $50.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

xpander posted:

Don't get discouraged, you're such a drat good producer elsewhere that I'd hate for you to give up. Just twiddle some knobs and let the magic happen! :) Or do what I'm doing: listen, critically, to more stuff in that genre to try and figure out some of its secrets. Once you've cleared that extra mile, you'll be sitting on gold.

Off topic, but this drives me up a wall. Maybe it's just because of my background, but I can't count the number of people I meet who show me an album or whatever that they "produced", only to find out that they're the artist on the album.

:haw: "I'm a producer."
:raise: "Oh yeah? Who have you produced?"
:haw: "Well, my new single just got released...."

I know it's commonly misused, but it still annoys the hell out of me when I'm trying to figure out what people actually do.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

E1M5 posted:

This may or may not be the right place to post this, but here goes...

Tell me about selling your music.

I already know which distributor I'd like to go with (cdbaby), but I don't want to get hosed over by not owning the rights to a VST I'm using or something.

Everything I have (DAW, VST's, samples) is paid for. Does this mean I'm set to sell my music? And what about free VSTs? I found no documentation saying I needed to register it, it's available off their website as a free download, and I couldn't find anything regarding rights.

What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

Realistically, nothing.

You can read the license agreement for all the software and plugins you purchased, as well as the license agreement for the free ones. There should be something about commercial use.

Plus, even if you hadn't paid for them, at your level you're flying way under the radar anyway.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

No. 9 posted:

Where can I school myself on the likes of ASCAP/BMI? I know next to nothing about these things, but it seems like its on the checklist of things when getting serious about releasing something.

Is there a good outline for this kind of stuff? I want to retain as much rights to my songs as possible while striking a deal with a reputable indie label. Sorry if this sounds completely stupid.

My understanding is that ASCAP/BMI is a blanket licensing thing for public performance only.

Basically means that if a bar or whatever wants to play music, they don't have to get (and pay for) rights to publicly broadcast every individual song, they just get a license from ASCAP/BMI and pay a fee for that, which in turn ASCAP/BMI distributes back to the artists.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What should I use to split a MIDI file into its instrument chunks?

I've got a file here, but when I drop it into Live, it takes it as one track instead of multiple tracks with the individual instruments.

File in question

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Dark Wind posted:

I started working on a DnB track today. I'm still toying around with the arrangement, and I'm not fully satisfied with the mix and mastering. Any advice you guys can throw me I really appreciate. I like how this came out, and want to make it as sonically pleasing as possible.

I don't think it hits hard enough from the into to main part of the song. It's like a looping intro.

I think the part where that deep saw comes in after the intro should instead be a break in the middle of the song, and you should go into the main verse immediately after your shortened intro.

It feels to me like you've got a trance-like structure of building up the intro, when DnB is more like a zero to sixty kind of genre where it hits with everything all at once, very quickly.

The pacing just feels off to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I hate dongle poo poo, especially on a laptop where I've only got like two USB ports anyway. Plus it's more poo poo to lose and have to deal with.

• Locked thread