Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
If you're a student you can get sweet academic discounts on Live. I got the Ableton Suite for $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
I moved from Pro Tools to Ableton Live about four months ago and bought Logic Studio about two months ago. Right now I use Logic Pro with Ableton Rewired into it and I really don't think I could ask for a better DAW setup. Honestly, I'm glad that Logic is only for Mac. Not in the elitist sense, but because then they can optimize the system around Apple hardware, which I obviously use. I don't care if a DAW can work on any system or not, I care if it works for my system.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
This is the second song I've made in Logic and I feel like I'm finally getting over the steep learning curve. I'd appreciate critiques of the mixing or the song in general. I feel like I might need to do a little bit of detail work so consider this song a rough draft.

Ben and Stew fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 10, 2008

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Ben and Stew posted:

This is the second song I've made in Logic and I feel like I'm finally getting over the steep learning curve. I'd appreciate critiques of the mixing or the song in general. I feel like I might need to do a little bit of detail work so consider this song a rough draft.

Updated with more goodness

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
hm, not really. i haven't had really good results through this song with laptop speakers just because they can't pump the kind low end this song needs. once the drums come in it should be pretty loud in the mix. hopefully when I get all my stuff professionally mixed it will come through better.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

A MIRACLE posted:

Anyone here use ultrabeat? I'm just getting into making beats and it seems pretty powerful/intuitive as a computerized drum machine. Should I look for something else?

Honestly, no. Ultrabeat is a really great program within Logic. I also use Battery 3 and various drum machines in Ableton but really Ultrabeat can do anything Battery or Live can do plus it comes with a built in step sequencer which is handy.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
On your track in the arrange window there should be a button that says "Read" in green. Click this and a dropdown list will appear that says "Read, Write, Latch, etc." Select latch and this should solve it.

E: beaten by a second.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Yeah, I'd say for someone who wants to stutter edit, do it old school (cut tool) a few times so that you will understand want certain chopping intervals sound like so that when you use a prog to do it you will better understand what each setting does. Plus, manually cutting gives you way more flexibility.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Should be fine. If mixes and remixes are ok then I don't see why a mashup wouldn't be

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Here's my latest track. I posted a clip of it a couple of months ago ago but now it's finally complete. Definitely inspired by some psybient dub i've been listening to.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Only someone who has dedicated as much time to electronic music as Yoozer could even utter a sentence packed with so much information, yet so confusing at the same time.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Anacostia posted:

This is the first song I've ever felt comfortable asking for criticism. :3: Two notes:

A. it's unfinished. I only started it 2 days ago but am pleased with where I am at the moment. I know it's too short etc.

B. I haven't had a chance to mix it on nice monitors so I've only heard it on semi-lovely headphones and decent generic computer speakers.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I did some sebastiAn style chopping on the end, it's sort of just hanging off the song, does my technique (read: imitation) sound okay?

I liked this one rear end well. The thing that stood out the most was the bassline, because it is really sick. I think it could possibly use some more grit by adding some gain or using an overdrive, but that is just my opinion. Honestly, it feels like there is still a lot of white space in this song that needs to be filled up, so go hog wild (with moderation)! The intro of the song could use some more percussion I think, electronic or otherwise. That way it also gains a little more DJ utility in the sense that you can cut out the bass and use a percussion riff or vies versa. Also, great breakdown at the end. I would definitely like a finished copy of this

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

duck monster posted:

I don't really know quite what this is supposed to be.
Click here to download stateless.mp3
Its electronic music of some sort. But with some sort of mutant jazz spazzed into it or some poo poo.

I'm not entirely happy with the first part, the quasi-atonal run at the start is a little mechanical and almost has a tracker feel to it. But in general I'm chuffed with how the second part came out. Most people I've played seem to like the first part but friends are rarely objective judges, so I dunno, I probably need to have a smoke and think it over.

Ok let me over you some criticism because I really like the idea you are working with in this song. The second piano line that comes in is really great and is tastefully complex. However, I feel the first piano line is a little mechanical, not that it's not good, just that it doesn't match the song well. I think you should add a bit more jazzy chord progression and swing it a bit. Also, the drums sound good, but I think the snare hits are a little straightforward at times for being what seems to be a jazz inspired piece. So add some of that swing! And possibly making the drums sound a bit more old-timey by cutting out a little of the highs with a filter and adding a little noise via distortion. I think you are trying to build up a lot of tension in the first part and release it in the second, which is a good idea. But to build tension in the first part, I'd be wary about dropping out the second piano line and the strings so quickl, especially to bring them back so soon thereafter. Let them play through the first part and slowly add instrumentation until the second part.

For the second part, I really like the clarinet playing the leading tones. But, I think the piano is a bit too atonal at parts to resolve well. Specifically, I think some tritones are being placed where a minor would do better. Also, make sure that synth at the end is in sync and maybe change up the drums for the second part. Sorry if this sounds like I'm really trying to pick apart your piece because I really do like it.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
how do i make a musical rectangle like Danger?

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

haximus prime posted:

Quick, but kind of "stupid" question.

I've been screwing around with fruity loops for a couple weeks, and I have a few qualms with it.

Using it to put together songs, mix, master, what ever? FL excels any expectations I could have.

Using it's built in sounds? (not synths, those are good, but the .wavs) God awful.

I'll listen to stuff online, mstrkrft, deadmau5, anything. All of their 'sounds' are, well, expectantly more professional. Do they straight up make all their sounds? Would it be unethical to record the stuff I like off their songs and use it myself? Is there some sort of huge library somewhere with all this stuff up for download?

Now I don't mean like melodies or rhythms, I mean things like kicks and hi-hats, things like that. FL's offerings are terribly generic with this kind of stuff.

I wouldn't think of it in terms of ethical statements like "immoral" to directly rip sounds from other people's tunes, but think about what that says about you as an artist. In a way I think it is like saying "I want to sound like artist X, but I don't want to really be as knowledgeable about synthesis/sampling/mixing, or actually have the musical wherewithal of artist X." The eternal truth of all music is that nothing comes easy. Especially electronic music, despite that nearly everyone who has never made it thinks it is easy to make. You say the synths are good but the samples suck. What are the samples of? Can they be synthesized? If they are drum sounds, especially the kind in mstrkrft or deadmau5 style music, the answer is yes, they can be synthesized. The question you have to ask yourself is what is preventing you from synthesizing them? If it's a general lack of knowledge, then go and read one of the zillions of tutorials on the web or watch some youtubes about synthesizing drums.

The beauty of computer based electronic music is that it is in many ways the first true 'blank page' for music in terms of sound creation. So, do you want to fill your page up with an amalgamation deadmau5 and mstrkrft or do you want to fill it up with haximus prime?

Short answer: make your own sounds. the people who make electronic music history have done so because of their innovative sounds, not from copying other people.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

cubicle gangster posted:

I done a new one!

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/an-objection-to-conceptual-analysis

I'm trying to focus my sound more these days. I'm going very slow, very dark, and heavily textured.
This is just the first draft, it's a little sparse and some sounds need altering. Feedback on it as is would be excellent though :)

yo this is legit

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Gibberish posted:

People that actually buy DAWs these days are as rare as Unicorns.

Way to out yourself for some :filez: You'll probably find that most people on this forum aren't using cracked DAWs.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Rkelly posted:

I was once a big time pirate but all it did for me was get me a folder full of vsts and no actual knowledge of my tools.

I could preset for weeks but couldn't make poo poo.

Rkelly posted:

I was once a big time pirate but all it did for me was get me a folder full of vsts and no actual knowledge of my tools.

Rkelly posted:

Quoted thrice for truth. This is always the tendency with people who pirate heir software, they are so focused on getting all of the big shiny tools that the pros use or whatever, so they can be an instapro, yet they fall on their rear end when it comes to actually making music because they only are using presets, or its hard to make music because cracked software tends to hog cpu. It just makes you look super new jack and easy to forget.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Horrido posted:

This thread is going down like a dubstep bass.

Where do you guys get your vsts? I was looking for something that can slice samples and assign them to midi notes.

And, what vsts do you guys use?

Ableton can do that. Ableton and Native Instruments stuff

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

I and Frau posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why would a pirated copy of an otherwise identical program take up more computing power?

The reason for this might be obvious to someone with more knowledge of how computing works in general but as I'm not too tech-savvy it seems counterintuitive to me...

Well, it's not so much the software being cracked as much as that people who can't dedicate their resources to their craft in terms of buying plugins, also tend to have really lovely computers in the first place. However, cracked software is usually several versions behind and tends to lack some of the polishing that software gets in later versions.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Xeno posted:

Been working on a little choppy electro house. It's vaguely Wolfgang Gartner-esque, I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along! You miiiight recognise the sample ;)

Please let me know what you think!

The actual words of the sample are cheesy, but I will say I think the sample is mixed and effected well throughout the piece. It all kind of depends on how you want to label this track, electro house and such. Personally, this does sound like a psychedelic sort of track, specifically "progressive psy" (look up Iboga records), which has lots of electro house elements. More than the sample I think that the thin lead thing sounds kind of archaic and boring. However, it's a pretty good track and you should be proud! Give it some time to rest and then take another look.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Das Butterbrot posted:

I recently finished my first brostep/clubstep track (other than one I made for my friends as a joke).

So without further ado, here it is, I hope someone likes it :)

http://tindeck.com/listen/pxwz

Constructive criticism is always welcome of course. The track was made entirely in Reason 4 (no presets used, I made all the sounds except for the drum samples myself, making this an exercise in synth programming aswell :)) and isn't mastered yet. I'll give my ears some time to "relax" and will probably try mastering it in a week or two.

More like Clubfootstep! Just kidding, the track sounded ok, but the mixing needs to be better. That snare is just too dry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Look up "Ableton User MIDI Remote Script" and I think you will find the answers you want

• Locked thread