Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

I want to put some short + and -'s for the software suites linked in the top, just to give an idea, I was thinking two of each for pro's and con's, or three and two or whatever, just as long as it's the same for all of them.

EG

Pro Tools
+ Most "standard" software suite around
+ Comes with an audio interface
+ Higher end models include an excellent plugin suite (T-Racks)
- Requires proprietary hardware to run, which can cause problems with laptops
- "LE" version has limited tracks, the next up version is very expensive

Live
+ Excellent workflow and ease of use
+ Can play Live performances
+ Midi to keyboard (Believe me it's a definite pro)
- No included synths (available for purchase as extras)
- Included Effect Plugins could be improved immensely

Reason
+ Incredibly flexible routing options
+ Ability to make great tracks right out of the box.
- No plugin support
- No (standard) multitrack for recording audio

FL Studio
+ Incredibly Easy workflow (Easier than Live in most regards)
+ Midi to Keyboard
+ Easiest Multi-Channel Midi routing available
- Included plugins and samples leave something to be desired
- Windows based only

Something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Cyne posted:

Huh, that's funny, I like Live's effects so much I barely use anything else for signal processing except some Sonalksis plug-ins (love that TBK filter), so I will have to heavily disagree with this.

I was raised on Waves, so my expectations might be way too high.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Cyne posted:

Ah, heh, that might explain it.

For me a big part of the appeal in Live is definitely a function of the specific kind of music I produce. I make techno with an ambient/dub edge and basically creamed myself at seeing not less than four delay units. Basically I think for most kinds of electronic music they're perfectly functional and if you don't like them can still at least make decent stand-ins until you get some new plug-ins. For me they're perfect though.

I was a bit harsh I finally played around with them tonight they are serviceable and good for being included considering Live's price. Beats the poo poo out of M-Class I must say.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006
So this is my first attempt at making something with samples that isn't Premo inspired boom bap and my first post in this thread...

Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006
every sample is from the track in the title.

The JBs - Things & Do off the album Hustle With Speed.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Mannex posted:

How do you tune drum samples? Do you just twist the transpose knob until they sound right, or is there a more precise way?

In Battery I just have the pitch wheel and play with it up or down until I hit it.

I was just lazy while doing this and slapped some drums on (hence why there's really no fills or change ups).

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

You can ReWire Logic into Live, letting you use the devices of Logic with the interface of Live.

Launch Live then launch Logic.

This is good, just remember to save the Logic and Live set in the same folder.

BUT I did just read you don't have the cash flow to pull this off.

So I'd go with Logic. Learning new sequencing can be done with a book purchase. Getting the quality of instruments and synths included in Logic with Live will be a whole other purchase entirely.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

I don't know if it's different with Logic, but I ReWired Reason into Live, and they were only sharing the /Applications folder.

OH I just meant when working on a project with rewire when you save it, save both program files (the .als and .rns files if you were using Live and Reason) into the same folder.

(ala Save the Live set into a folder, then save the Logic set into the same folder).

When I worked with Reason and Live it's how I kept it all neat and organized.

Also, I will agree with Kai, if you're working with Live, stick with it, it's sequencing is so much more intuitive to me. That's Coming from someone who's used every major software DAW/Sequencer but Cubase and Sonar to make music. BUT be prepared if you want the same quality of instruments and effects as Logic to drop some additional money.

Mannie Fresh fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 16, 2009

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Stux posted:

Logic is all one window as well though :crossarms:

I'm one of the biggest logic fanboys you'll meet and even I can't admit this. I cycle through windows like crazy.

Also, something I've been playing around with on my day off in Logic, I don't have a specific genre I just know it's in Em at 118 BPM...

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Stux posted:

Why bro, you dont even need to bring the mixer up anymore, its all there in the arrange page.

I'm insane and need to see all the faders in front while I mix.

BUT it is very streamlined compared to other DAWs in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

Let me get this straight: You've used Fruityloops for 9 years and you've just now decided it's too limiting?

Refer to the original post. Use whatever software you feel like you can get the job done more effectively. If you feel Fruity was limiting you, all you should have to do is ask yourself if those limitations are removed by another software suite you've tried.

Not to be a dick here, but if you've been at this for 9 years, you should already know what you're looking for.

WAIT, Fruity Loops has been out 9 years?

drat.

• Locked thread