Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
Asekaladd is the best, no questions asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonbase
Oct 3, 2007

Forest Fuckery posted:

I'm really torn on this manga.
On the other hand there's the occasionally stupid loljapan stereotype fights, but on the other hand, gently caress YEAH VIKINGS.
And i seriously can't be angry after the horse uppercut scene.

Does anyone else have a feeling that we'll have some kind of a redemption scenario coming up for Thorkell? He was pretty interested with what happened to Thors to make him stop fighting. And all the "what makes a warrior" talk.
Canute finally found his testicles, and seems pretty pissed at all the killing stuff.

And i really, really hope Bjorn survives.
:black101:

I'm fine with the "stupid" fights (I don't think they are, but that's your opinion) because they have been used to explain character motivations/backgrounds. The fights allow for development of the story in a manner that is interesting to read. I don't think I'd really care about Thorfinn's past as much if it wasn't being told while a giant of a man was mercilessly mocking him and beating the living daylights out of him. The story Thorkell tells also has a direct bearing on the fight itself, so in all, I don't view anything about the situation as stupid or "loljapan".

As for Bjorn, I don't think the berserker will be brought down this early or that easily.

Hentaikid
May 18, 2005

by Peatpot
He has been run through with a sword. If it got a lung or his guts he's done for. No antibiotics...

VV - You mean the first time he takes the mushroom? They take him out immediately.

Hentaikid fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 19, 2008

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Hentaikid posted:

He has been run through with a sword. If it got a lung or his guts he's done for. No antibiotics...

He was also knocked underwater in Norway temperatures for a few minutes without resurfacing, so I don't think we can look at his (or any character's) injuries with a realistic eye.

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

This ain't no foolin' around.
I'm not used to following manga scanlations. Does it take like a month for a new one or what?

Not being sarcastic I really don't know so I'm going by US comic book logic.

SimHuman
Jan 1, 2004

It's either real or it's a dream
There's nothing that is in between

STOP MAKING SENSE posted:

I'm not used to following manga scanlations. Does it take like a month for a new one or what?

Not being sarcastic I really don't know so I'm going by US comic book logic.
Most manga run in large "anthologies" along with a lot of other titles. Some manga are published weekly, some are published monthly. Vinland Saga is in a monthly anthology. Then, of course, there's the lag time before the raw gets scanlated. Happy waiting!

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
This was a good read, it's like prince valiant but vikings rip people's eyes out every so often. And the fact that even Canute's wised up just makes the upcoming chapters all the more interesting.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Where's the scanlations? Is Spore taking a break or something? :(

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Motorball posted:

Where's the scanlations? Is Spore taking a break or something? :(

It's probably because Vinland Saga is released monthly :smith:

chocojosh
Jun 9, 2007

D00D.
Berserk is my absolutely favourite anime/manga EVER. That being said, will I also love Vinland Saga?

Am I allowed to ask for a link to the scanlations?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

chocojosh posted:

Berserk is my absolutely favourite anime/manga EVER. That being said, will I also love Vinland Saga?
Did you not see the picture of a dude punching a horse to death?

GentlemanLoser
Aug 22, 2007

IT WAS NANOMACHINES, I SWEAR, NANOMACHINES!
stupid plot theories go here -------->

chocojosh posted:

I guess it depends on why you like Berserk, but Vinland Saga's just a great manga regardless.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

chocojosh posted:

Vinland Saga is an awesome manga.

I posted a link to the downloads in the first post. You can either go straight to Mangascreen for first four volumes, or you can check out mangatraders for all the current volumes for easy downloading.

(BTW Happy to see thread not dead, even though manga hasn't been scanlated in a wihle. Anyone know why its taking so long for 42 to come out?)

Related: Historie has had a few more chapters released.

New historie out today. Hoorah!

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 23, 2008

chocojosh
Jun 9, 2007

D00D.

GentlemanLoser posted:

I guess it depends on why you like Berserk, but Vinland Saga's just a great manga regardless.

70% because it's so loving brutal. 10% because Guts is badass (I'm not gay for him, I just think he's awesome). 20% because I like medieval/fantasy stuff.

Anyways, I'll be off at anime north.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well that's at least a 90% match then.

I suspect the other 10% will become "Thorkell is badass."

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

JerseyMonkey posted:

New historie out today. Hoorah!
Historie doesn't get enough respect. I suspect it's because most people in this topic like Vinland Saga as a Berserk-type rather than as a historical manga. (Personally I couldn't stand Berserk, and absolutely love Vinland Saga.) Also not much has happened in Historie yet. 70% of my love for that Manga comes from the fact that I'm familiar with the history and know where Eumenes is going to end up.

I just wish it was translated faster than once every two months or so...

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Seems we got three new chapters for Historie chapters 36 to 38. (Check out mangatrader's link to grab it. Sorry for not direct link, not sure where source is.)

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
I haven't been to ADTRW for roughly a year, and now I see that there is far more of Vinland Saga than what mangascreener released. I guess I should check here more often, this really made my day.

The thing that gets me about Vinland Saga is that its setting, story and - obviously - action scenes are completely different from Planetes, but somehow the "atmosphere" is very similar. Must be the great characters, I guess.

coefficient v2.0
Jul 16, 2004

We did not have a revolution in order to have democracy.
God drat, Historie is incredible. Do magazine scans get released or does the group only do tankobon scans?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

coefficient v2.0 posted:

God drat, Historie is incredible. Do magazine scans get released or does the group only do tankobon scans?
Apparently the magazine scans often feature rough sketches and unfinished artwork, for whatever reason, so it seems the group's not using them.

Though from what I understand there's a good chance volume 5 will be released sometime this summer.
(To think a couple posts ago I was complaining about once every couple of months, and now I'm hoping for a season- and that's just for the raws.)

And honestly, I can't wait. It seems we've finally gotten back to the very beginning of the manga where Eumenes has just met Phillip II. In other words, the story is about to really begin.

Though really, the most interesting parts of Eumenes' life occur after the death of Alexander. If every part of Eumenes' life is treated with as much detail as his (undocumented) youth has been, this will be quite an epic manga indeed. In a decade or two.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

coefficient v2.0 posted:

God drat, Historie is incredible.
Yes. I just read the whole loving thing in one go :psyduck:

I left to make coffee just before Thrax had his chains removed and I remembered it only after chapter 38.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

JerseyMonkey posted:

That is all.

Oh poo poo, don't let PETA see that.

Looks interesting. I loved Plantes (well the anime at least), am currently reading Claymore, and love historically accurate stories from that time period.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Just saw another interesting historical manga which showed up on onemanga

Cesare

Summary

"Bookish and naive, Angelo da Canossa is unprepared for life as a student in a university that hums with tension and intrigue in Renaissance Italy. Will his innocence remain intact when a chance encounter with the charismatic Cesare draws him ever deeper into the darker side of the Renaissance?"

Its like Historie, but focuses more on the political intrigue and plotting amongst the different factions in the city of Pisa in the 15th century. Only up to 10 chapters at the moment, but its been great so far.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Remo posted:

Just saw another interesting historical manga which showed up on onemanga

Cesare

Summary

"Bookish and naive, Angelo da Canossa is unprepared for life as a student in a university that hums with tension and intrigue in Renaissance Italy. Will his innocence remain intact when a chance encounter with the charismatic Cesare draws him ever deeper into the darker side of the Renaissance?"

Its like Historie, but focuses more on the political intrigue and plotting amongst the different factions in the city of Pisa in the 15th century. Only up to 10 chapters at the moment, but its been great so far.

Looks interesting, thanx for recommendation. (And thanx for keeping thread alive.) When the hell are we getting an update to Vinland Saga or Historie? :(

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Remo posted:

I read that a bit ago and thought it was pretty good, and quite a bit like Historie. However I like competent intelligent Eumenes a lot more than bumbling naive Angelo, and though Alexander hasn't shown up in Historie, the man who conquered the known world set against... Cesare Borgia...

Well heck, there's no reason to set them against each other, they're both pretty good. If you liked Historie you'll probobly get something out of this.

And the wait for the next Historie is so very long.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Remo posted:

Cesare

Finally got a chance to read this manga. The first couple pages gave me the impression of a manga I would dislike, but after the first volume I am addicted. Thank you grealty for the recommendation. Another for me to read. (Adding it to OP.)

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 1, 2008

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it me or is there some kind of upsurge of non-Japanese historical/political comics going on lately (by which I mean late 2007)? Between Vinland Saga, Historie and Cesare we've got uniformly excellent manga about European history on one hand, and on the other things like Akamatsu and Team Medical Dragon which are openly critising Japanese society (the economy and medical practises respectively).

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

It's a great trend, if you ask me.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh yes. I'm anticipating Cesare getting even better if it gets as far as Cesare's government career, since it seems they're taking some historical liberties by introducing Niccolò motherfucking Machiavelli to his early years.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
Read through all of Vinland in one go.. This is the best manga I've read in a long time (Not that I read much manga, but still :v: )
Really like the characters (Especially Thorkell, since he's so loving badass)

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
Still no updates from scanlaters on Vinland Saga, or was it on hiatus and I just totally missed the post? Seems like a lack of updates since like, March?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
I believe I read somewhere that the scanners are waiting for volume 5.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
New chapters!
42: http://www.mediafire.com/?fk4wfwfiqtu
43: http://www.mediafire.com/?kfbbznxua1h

Plot is advancing really quickly it seems.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
About drat time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Now, seeing as we've gotten two at once, can we expect more in the near future?

I'm really loving this whole competent leader thing Canute suddenly developed.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

New chapters!
42: http://www.mediafire.com/?fk4wfwfiqtu
43: http://www.mediafire.com/?kfbbznxua1h

Plot is advancing really quickly it seems.

Holy poo poo yes! I was going through my bookmarks going "eh...couple new posts in some threads...VINLAND SAGA NEW CHAPTERS?! YES!!!!!!" Time to read and ENJOY.

*edit*

Just read it, adn holy crap I just had a stupid grin on my face enjoying those chapters. God drat am I excited for next chapters. (And I am dreading how painful it will be waiting.)

FUCKKKKKK PIZZA BURNING, BAD DISTRACTION!

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 21, 2008

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Great chapters, the story continues to get better. And goddamn I hate monthly series as the wait seems so long.

Still nowhere as bad as berserk though, so can't complain.

edit: Son of a bitch, I was expecting to wait for another 3 months or so. Joy!

Remo fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 21, 2008

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
More chapters!
44: http://www.mediafire.com/?g1vl2dxym2g
45: http://rapidshare.com/files/138972152/vinland_saga_45.zip.html

Filesizes are pretty huge though, kind of annoying. At least it means high-res manliness!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Eiba posted:

Now, seeing as we've gotten two at once, can we expect more in the near future?
The answer appears to be yes.

Anyone have an idea as to how many chapters might end up in this little batch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Eiba posted:

The answer appears to be yes.

Anyone have an idea as to how many chapters might end up in this little batch?

Ah, this keeps making my days. My guess is this'll end once this volume is complete, then another 6 months of pain of sorts. I remember hearing they were waiting for the next volume to be released, so this is probably that.