Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh man these chapters are awesome. Canute + Thorkell + Askeladd. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Canute, you magnificent bastard...

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

- Bjorn :denmark:

Why are you guys drooling all over Thorkell when it's quite obvious that Askeladd is the manliest man in all of Denmark? I mean the guy killed the previous champ by being a complete bastard, that has to count for something, right?

I wonder what's up on the homefront. Haven't heard a thing about how the island is doing and I'm starting to get worried despite knowing the entire thing didn't spontaneously explode during this timeperiod. :tinfoil:

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
These last two chapters were awesome, the story is advancing fast at the moment. And Prince Canute is loving awesome now! But the wait for the next chapter(s) is killing me :(

Svampson fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 21, 2008

Hentaikid
May 18, 2005

by Peatpot

Hentaikid posted:

He has been run through with a sword. If it got a lung or his guts he's done for. No antibiotics...

I guess I called it right for ole Bjorn

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
Holy poo poo the prince turns from an autistic girl into a badass motherfucker who dare to taunt the king in his face. Now this is what I call character development.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Floki's face in chapter 43 made the chapter for me...among other things.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Man, I hope Thorfinn disappears for a while. Canute and Askeladd and Thorkell are awesome.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yes Thorfinn has been completely upstaged at this point. I never really cared for him except as a device to get Thorkell/Askeladd/Canute to do awesome poo poo.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure, at least as long as they're following Canute around, that Thorfinn will mostly just be hanging around, almost as much a spectator as us. The reason I think this is that Thorfinn is actually a historical figure, and he's not notable for his relationship to Canute or the wars in England.

He'll probobly be more awesome once we get to what this manga is really about, judging by the title.

(Incidentally, Thorkell is also a historical figure (known to history as Thorkell the Tall), as is Canute obviously. I couldn't find anything on Askeladd, though.)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Eiba posted:

I'm pretty sure, at least as long as they're following Canute around, that Thorfinn will mostly just be hanging around, almost as much a spectator as us. The reason I think this is that Thorfinn is actually a historical figure, and he's not notable for his relationship to Canute or the wars in England.

He'll probobly be more awesome once we get to what this manga is really about, judging by the title.

(Incidentally, Thorkell is also a historical figure (known to history as Thorkell the Tall), as is Canute obviously. I couldn't find anything on Askeladd, though.)
Which other characters are historical figures as well? Was Thorfinn's father real?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Which other characters are historical figures as well? Was Thorfinn's father real?
Well, there's Lief Erickson (at least, I think that's who the Lief in the flashback was) but I imagine you already knew about him. King Sweyn (or Sweyn Forkbeard, as history calls him) should be another no-brainer.

The only thing I can find about Thorfinn's father is that Thorfinn is sometimes called Thorfinnr Thordarson (but he's usually known as Thorfinn Karlsefni). As for his status as a legendary Jomsviking... some consider the group to be entirely mythical (and consider Thorkell's past to be fictionalized as well). I imagine it was possible that there was a legend of a Troll of Jom, but I can't find anything on it.

And far be it from me to destroy an illusion of learnedness, but my source for all this has just been Wikipedia. For Major plot spoilers pertaining to where the manga is going, check out this.

For something more funny, the figure on the left of this picture is actually supposed to be our protagonist. There's also supposedly a statue of him in Philadelphia.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
For what it's worth, Askelad is probably taken from a prominent figure in Norwegian folktales, Askeladden, who is the young hero of several stories. It's hard to see any real resemblance to the character in Vinland saga however. More interesting is perhaps the term askeladd, likely originating from the tales, which means "someone who experiences an unexpected and fantastic career".

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Are we going to see a, for the lack of a better word, "sensitivie" side to Askeladd?
He let Atli go, and seemed to have a sore spot when the king asked about his father?
"I have been always called Askeladd. My father did not give me a name"

Oh god bjorn :gonk:

VVV wait what where

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 27, 2008

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Forest Fuckery posted:

and seemed to have a sore spot when the king asked about his father?
"I have been always called Askeladd. My father did not give me a name"
Unless my memory is failing we already learned the reasons behind this many chapters ago.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Forest Fuckery posted:

VVV wait what where

It wasn't the talk about his father, it was the king implying that his mother was a slave. I don't recall the specific details, but it was back when they were arranging secret passage for the prince and he mentioned who his parents were.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I haven't read previous chapters since march, but I think it was around the time they had just escaped thorkell's guys by getting across the river, and askeladd's troops were all marching along in a line.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Just started on the second chapter of v1, and I must say the artist has some pretty strange conceptions of the topology of Jutland. The hills around that village look more like they belong in southern Norway.

For reference, here's a typical Jutlandish landscape:

Never mind that, though, this series is kick-rear end!

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

46 is out on mangatraders. Awesomeness.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nice, Askeladd is pretty scary moments after he kills his best friend. Looks like we'll be getting some back story next chapter, too.

But why is it only 24 pages? Looking back I see it's pretty variable, but that's the shortest one we've had in months. Oh well.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Given the recent rash of non-update bumps in the Berserk thread and otherwise, I wasn't expecting much when I checked the thread this time. Glad I was wrong. Man, I am having the best day in my loving life today.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Overwhelming amounts of rapeface this week.

edit holy poo poo Askeladd. holy poo poo.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 27, 2008

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Guess what's back?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

My day always gets better when I see this thread on the first page.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fantastic. "Next chapter: The plot thickens," indeed.

Light historical spoilers: It's way to early for Thorfinn to have his historical relation with Lief... I really do wonder how he's going to be involved in the story now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Askeladd just delivered about the most thorough beatdown, both physically and psychologically, I've ever seen in any story.

And Thorfinn was like "drat."

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Hopefully this will shut the brat up for a while.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Vinland Saga is not only great because of the awesome art but in big parts for the very believable characters, even though some of them uppercuts horses. :D

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
loving hell, I really liked Bjorn.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 3, 2008

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

New chapter out on One Manga.

I have to say, as a general comment, that I'm so unused to Japanese media being historically accurate that I get a little thrill each time they do something right. This manga does so much right.

As for the specific events: what a way to meet again... I kind of saw it coming once we got the basic scenario down. And I don't think anyone's been fooled into thinking Canute actually got shot, what with the suspicious separate reaction and arrow impact shots.

Unfortunately this chapter is mostly leading up to the next one... Oh, monthly manga...

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

ARRRRRRRRRRRR that was so freaking cool!

I need the next chapter, god I love this series.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Oh man, next chapter is going to be great.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

That was fantastic, as usual. :D

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Finally caught up reading this. I need to stop reading seinen series that release on an inconsistent schedule or are taking forever to get translated. Berserk, Akumetsu, Shamo, now this :sigh:

That's a cruel as gently caress cliffhanger to toss us into. I wonder if Thorfinn will even recognize him?

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

Zorak posted:

Finally caught up reading this. I need to stop reading seinen series that release on an inconsistent schedule or are taking forever to get translated. Berserk, Akumetsu, Shamo, now this :sigh:

That's a cruel as gently caress cliffhanger to toss us into. I wonder if Thorfinn will even recognize him?

This has been releasing every month around the 20th as far as I remember, how has the schedule been inconsistent, besides being off by a few days (which as its not one of the big three is pretty good)?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cytokinesis posted:

This has been releasing every month around the 20th as far as I remember, how has the schedule been inconsistent, besides being off by a few days (which as its not one of the big three is pretty good)?

Okay, sparsely released series. :sigh: All of the good seinen series take forever.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Well there was that period from march to august or so. But I totally agree, I've found a lot of great series that are either fairly new, inconsistent, or (usually)both.

One of them I'd like to point out to people in this thread. It's called mercenary pierre, onemanga has it. It's set in the hundred years war period, deals with a mercenary leader and his run ins with joan of arc. Very awesome action and humor, and it's about 18 chapters (vinland saga length chapters).

GentlemanLoser
Aug 22, 2007

IT WAS NANOMACHINES, I SWEAR, NANOMACHINES!
stupid plot theories go here -------->

Zorak posted:

Okay, sparsely released series. :sigh: All of the good seinen series take forever.

Some dudes just released the 24th volume of Shamo, so now there's only one more to go before we get stuck with a huge cliffhanger forever.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

GentlemanLoser posted:

Some dudes just released the 24th volume of Shamo, so now there's only one more to go before we get stuck with a huge cliffhanger forever.

That cliffhanger is going to last forever, since the two creators of Shamo are suing each other for money.

On the bright side of Shamo, though, the Shamo Live Action Hong Kong movie came out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkpV850y0Ws

E: Is there going to be no Vinland Saga this month due to the mag taking a break? Or is it just on a different day/ unaffected?

Zorak fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Raws for both Vinland Saga 49 and 50 are scanned now. Now to wait for AnonymousSpore to scanalate them.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 15, 2009