Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
edit: this isn't the naruto thread. :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ah man I hate when shows and manga drag on for years. We're already 7 volumes in how loving large will this get?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Ah man I hate when shows and manga drag on for years. We're already 7 volumes in how loving large will this get?

If it remains as satisfying as it is now, I could care less how long it was. Just as long as we don't get stuck with another Berserk. Miura!!! :argh:

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005
Your best friend objectifies children and you lied for him about it.

fuck you, you disgusting idiot.
Are those links broken for anyone else?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Nubian Robodin posted:

Are those links broken for anyone else?

Broken here too :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
http://www.mangatoshokan.com/read/vinlandsaga/494/53 this should work for you guys

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005

Zorak posted:

http://www.mangatoshokan.com/read/vinlandsaga/494/53 this should work for you guys

You rule, this manga rules.

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005

I think that Canute knows Askeladd is too valuable to be killed at this point. But who knows if he has that much control in this situation.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Goddamn I love the artwork. Next to BAA: Last Order, this is definitively the best series to follow for eye candy. I dont have much to add except that Thorfinn's take-face mirrored my own.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
God drat. This chapter.

Also, is that some fatherly feeling for Thorfinn I see from Askeladd?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Another one on the I made the same face as Thorsfinn bandwagon.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
Askeladd dying to save Wales, that's not a good trade to make and that's coming from someone who lives there.

Wow though, I didn't see that coming.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nubian Robodin posted:

I think that Canute knows Askeladd is too valuable to be killed at this point. But who knows if he has that much control in this situation.

This is pretty good for the prince. Askeladd may have been cunning, but we just traded him in for the Prince's greatest, most dangerous enemy, and gave an excellent chance for everyone to see just how in command the prince is these days. Remember that the last time anyone in court saw Canute, he was probably hiding behind his chair.

Eiba posted:

He was dressed for a party- I don't think he was wearing any armor to speak of...

That's no party, that's a war council. Thorkell's wearing his chain mail and twenty pounds of leather outfit, and Askeladd's roman breastplate (which stops blows from men much stronger than the prince) could conceivably be under that jacket + shirt + robe he's got layered up there. That means he's not dead one hundred percent! Hooray! :v:

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

This is pretty good for the prince. Askeladd may have been cunning, but we just traded him in for the Prince's greatest, most dangerous enemy, and gave an excellent chance for everyone to see just how in command the prince is these days. Remember that the last time anyone in court saw Canute, he was probably hiding behind his chair.

This is true but who is he going to rely on for advice, Thorkell?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nubian Robodin posted:

He's not known to history as Canute the Great just because he had a crafty adviser. He's no fool, something tells me he'll be fine on his own.

Askeladd was dead the moment he killed the king and started calling himself King Arthur in front of everybody- if Canute hasn't killed him with that stab, Askeladd should probably drive the sword further in himself, as that's certainly the best possible way for him to go.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nubian Robodin posted:

I'd do that. He seems reliable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nubian Robodin posted:

Nah, now Thorfinn has to come up with a brilliant strategy for Canute in order to get a duel with the man who killed the man who killed his father.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

Nah, now Thorfinn has to come up with a brilliant strategy for Canute in order to get a duel with the man who killed the man who killed his father.

Hey, it might work in the reader's favor - Thorfinn might have to develop a personality beyond "Hey, I want to Askeladd". When your (supposed) main character has more depth, everyone wins.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Hey, it might work in the reader's favor - Thorfinn might have to develop a personality beyond "Hey, I want to Askeladd". When your (supposed) main character has more depth, everyone wins.

Well, maybe Askeladd's dying words will be like, Hey, guess who paid me to kill your father? It was that guy, over there.

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007
Hey systematically marginalized groups, stop acting like victims!
A few details annoy me though since it put so much effort into historical facts. Lief wasn't called Leif the Lucky but Leif the Happy (Leif den Lykkelige) and the cause of berserk is still unknowen. The fly agaric mushroom is just one among many theories. Similar to it toadskin and specific bogplants have been mentioned. Also spiritual rituals and booze. The latter might be more likely since produsing berserk far from home on command could be difficult at times otherwise.

Anyway. I better stop now.

Askeladd. RIP you bastard. Went out fighting for the dream even when the glory was gone.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

badOrigo posted:

A few details annoy me though since it put so much effort into historical facts. Lief wasn't called Leif the Lucky but Leif the Happy (Leif den Lykkelige) and the cause of berserk is still unknowen. The fly agaric mushroom is just one among many theories. Similar to it toadskin and specific bogplants have been mentioned. Also spiritual rituals and booze. The latter might be more likely since produsing berserk far from home on command could be difficult at times otherwise.
Keep in mind this isn't a history book, it's historical fiction- The author is perfectly allowed to take one of several competing theories and say, "it was this." Think about it, you couldn't exactly have the berserkers themselves unsure of how to go berserk.

And the biggest historical liberty is undoubtedly the fact that in reality King Sweyn died after Thorsfinn (minor history spoilers) led an expedition to Vinland. The ages don't match up at all.

And personally I never heard the theory that King Arthur was an actual figure... who lived in the 11th century.

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007

Eiba posted:

And personally I never heard the theory that King Arthur was an actual figure... who lived in the 11th century.

But in all fairness it was a name given to him by a women who was on the brink of insanity even if her 'royal' line might justify it politically.

Eiba posted:

And the biggest historical liberty is undoubtedly the fact that in reality King Sweyn died after Thorsfinn (minor history spoilers) led an expedition to Vinland. The ages don't match up at all.

Sure you're not thinking of Erik Thorvaldsson (Erik the Red), Father of Lief? Bah. I'm really bad with the names. Tried to google it but it was a mess.

Anyway. What annoy me about it is that the factor of 'lies hidden in truth' will set in. People who read this comic will years from now start to get the facts confused and I might have to be around and listen to them.

Edit:

Eiba posted:

Think about it, you couldn't exactly have the berserkers themselves unsure of how to go berserk.

Nah. You think about it, that would be really funny. :D

badOrigo fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 28, 2009

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eiba posted:

He wasn't a figure of the 11th century, that's when the story is happening now. However there are several possible Arthurs, most likely all of whom were amalgamated into the Arthur of legend. The Arturos mentioned by Askeladd's mother is one of the possible candidates.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

badOrigo posted:

But in all fairness it was a name given to him by a women who was on the brink of insanity even if her 'royal' line might justify it
Actually, I slightly misremembered things. You're right, he was probably named after Lucius Artorius Castus the "true" King Arthur, rather than being the original himself- that makes a lot more sense.

Anyway, I'm assuming that our Thorfinn is the same as this Thorfinn, and I imagine that our story will eventually encompass these events, which took place around 1010 AD. (It should go without saying that these links might contain significant plot spoilers if he's our Thorfinn.)

In comparison, Sweyn Forkbeard died in 1014.

It's quite possible that the name is a coincidence, but considering what he did and what this manga is called... I'm going to assume the author just fudged the dates a bit so Thorfinn could hang out with Canute and Thorkell and other cool historical people.

quote:

Anyway. What annoy me about it is that the factor of 'lies hidden in truth' will set in. People who read this comic will years from now start to get the facts confused and I might have to be around and listen to them.
Yeah, that kind of thing is pretty annoying, but I'd say it's more the fault of someone who gets their historical knowledge from comic books than it is the author's.

In any case, most people think Vikings wore horned helmets and such- from that baseline any knowledge gained from Vinland Saga is quite a step up.

Fake Edit:

Gyges posted:

He wasn't a figure of the 11th century, that's when the story is happening now. However there are several possible Arthurs, most likely all of whom were amalgamated into the Arthur of legend. The Arturos mentioned by Askeladd's mother is one of the possible candidates.
The name given in the manga matches the name of a certain Roman commander who lived in the 2nd century. As badOrigo mentioned, it's likely Askeladd was named after this guy specifically, and I was being dumb.

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007

Eiba posted:

Anyway, I'm assuming that our Thorfinn is the same as this Thorfinn, and I imagine that our story will eventually encompass these events, which took place around 1010 AD. (It should go without saying that these links might contain significant plot spoilers if he's our Thorfinn.)

In comparison, Sweyn Forkbeard died in 1014.

It's quite possible that the name is a coincidence, but considering what he did and what this manga is called... I'm going to assume the author just fudged the dates a bit so Thorfinn could hang out with Canute and Thorkell and other cool historical people.

Looks like you're right. I must have misspelled his name.

Eiba posted:

Yeah, that kind of thing is pretty annoying, but I'd say it's more the fault of someone who gets their historical knowledge from comic books than it is the author's.

In any case, most people think Vikings wore horned helmets and such- from that baseline any knowledge gained from Vinland Saga is quite a step up.

Can't be helped. Just felt like making the forum aware of it for some reason. I'm really not suggesting sacrificing Vinland Saga for the sake of common education. Let them suffer for the art.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Methane posted:

Well, maybe Askeladd's dying words will be like, Hey, guess who paid me to kill your father? It was that guy, over there.

This would be so ironic.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
...how so?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
54 is out, and it's loving awesome. Also, end of proloogue apparently. :haw:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh man, there have been so many great expressions recently, but Thorfinn's face on page 21... I think that's the first time we've seen him that way. Not even when his father died was he at such a loss...

And he's left his father's blade behind. Looks like the real story is about to begin.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
With this chapter I feel I can say that this series is better than Berserk.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh my God if that was the prologue I can't wait to see what the real story is going to be.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Edge Zero posted:

With this chapter I feel I can say that this series is better than Berserk.

What, you don't like Griffith spreads :D?

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
Killing one of the most awesome character in the whole drat manga in just the prologue, holy poo poo.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Eiba posted:

Oh man, there have been so many great expressions recently, but Thorfinn's face on page 21... I think that's the first time we've seen him that way. Not even when his father died was he at such a loss...

And he's left his father's blade behind. Looks like the real story is about to begin.

He looked so...so...upset :cry:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Did Thorfinn just go stark raving madbecause he was robbed of his revenge?

There's just no way the actual story will ever be better than the prologue.
No way

GreenFuz
Aug 30, 2000

by Peatpot

Forest Fuckery posted:

Did Thorfinn just go stark raving madbecause he was robbed of his revenge?

There's just no way the actual story will ever be better than the prologue.
No way

It was because Thorfinn was robbed of his father, again. That's why his memories were shown as a massive jumbled mess. Thors, his desire for revenge for Thors' death, and Askeladd had all become wrapped up in a single "father" entity, which was reenforced by the conflation of his biological family and his foster family in his memories. His confusion was probably why he had turned into a sociopath, and after the severe trauma he's been through in this issue, I expect his personality to shift a great deal.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Goddamn this owns. I love how he wrapped it all up, going to be exciting to see how this goes.

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005

How do they expect me to wait a whole god drat month after that?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://wi.somethingawful.com/18/1860d61eed96d06276b1537f16a78da418634347.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/b9/b913cb265f67c535c7dbc5573353984cc3f7b7c2.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/b1/b1ca4a6d1225837807eb5ff098d9df115a704f6f.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/31/3169836a3edca7e38daf913f78352181890fc5cc.gif
https://wi.somethingawful.com/f8/f8ccc7717d4aefb8e91a32f29e7d63b85f32a408.jpg

so long askeladd

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hentaikid
May 18, 2005

by Peatpot
He certainly was a cool character but I still remember him putting a whole village to death for a temporary tactical advantage. Fucker was cold blooded as hell.