Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Your post got me to finally use Danbooru for once, and sadly, you posted all pictures already. :( Awesome images though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I found several of them here: http://www.pixiv.net/tags.php?tag=%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B7%E3%82%A7%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%83%89

Click here for the full 744x903 image.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hentaikid posted:

He certainly was a cool character but I still remember him putting a whole village to death for a temporary tactical advantage. Fucker was cold blooded as hell.
I actually really liked that. Err, well, "liked" probably isn't the right word, but all to often in this type of thing the historical sense morality is completely forgotten in characters we're supposed to like and replaced with more modern sensibilities. Not here, Askeladd and the rest of the vikings are amoral as hell.

In fact, that kind of uncomfortable amorality of theoretically sympathetic main characters is the one similarity that's really struck me between this and Planetes (this author's previous work, if anyone didn't know). Locksmith's cold assertion to the press that, "the next one won't fail" after causing an engine to explode during testing killing hundreds of people (and the fact that Hachimaki's father signed up because of that attitude), evokes the same kind of uncomfortable but not necessarily unsympathetic feeling as Askeladd casually having a village massacred because they were inconvenient. I thought it was pretty cool in both works. I guess I just like being made to sympathize with characters I vehemently disagree with.

Hentaikid
May 18, 2005

by Peatpot
Oh yeah I agree completely, excellent character and excellent storytelling that makes us admire and respect him despite what he did.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah, if you told someone that a character in a work of historical fiction is the descendant of King Arthur and his name is basically the male version of Cinderella, they probably wouldn't expect someone like Askeladd.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Shouldn't the next chapter be out by now? I wish people translated this and kept track of it more frequently.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder if we're going to see a timeskip and a slightly older Thorfinn, or if it's just going to continue with Thorfinn in prison and somehow breaking out... or something.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If it is coming out it should be today or tomorrow I would think. It's driving me nuts because I really want to see a timeskip thorfinn.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
Don't worry guys, Yukimura is just taking a short break to play a little idolmaster. I'm sure he'll be back on track in no time.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

While we wait for Vinland Saga, Historie Chapter 54 has been released.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?55zmqyiz2wu

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Death Cube K posted:

Don't worry guys, Yukimura is just taking a short break to play a little idolmaster. I'm sure he'll be back on track in no time.

:mad: Also Miura finally came back and has been releasing every month so hooray!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
You're looking pretty cool, Thorsfinn! :downs:

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.
e: oh wow beaten

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Was planning on posting in this thread asking where the hell the update was, and finally. What a bizarre chapter.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hahaha he looks totally stoned out.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally, a new chapter!

It seems promising, looking forward to seeing how the story progresses.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Awesome, how much time do you think has passed?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kingtheninja posted:

Awesome, how much time do you think has passed?

Probably 4 to 6 years. I have a feeling Thorfinn was roughly around the age of 12-14 when we last saw him.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hahaha oh man I was all ready to see some buff superman looking mother loving thorrfin lumberjackin trees. He looks like a loving hippy with an axe haha.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Thorfinnlooks goony as gently caress.

bondster
May 6, 2007

So can one guess that the main story will be about Thorfinn getting out of slavery and wants revenge on the king he helped to the throne?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Given the name of the series, I'm gonna go with no.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is this Willibald in the top panel here?

rghayati
Dec 29, 2007

gently caress yes new chapter. I need this WAY more often.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

bondster posted:

So can one guess that the main story will be about Thorfinn getting out of slavery and wants revenge on the king he helped to the throne?

more like about him and the new dude smoking nordic weed everyday in the woods.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Brannock posted:

Is this Willibald in the top panel here?

It does look like the friar.

YouTuber posted:

Probably 4 to 6 years. I have a feeling Thorfinn was roughly around the age of 12-14 when we last saw him.

If it is like any anime, Thorfinn was 5 years old, and now he is maybe 10. Seriously, anime/manga has the loving weirdest 'ages', I just ignore em.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

George Broussard posted:

more like about him and the new dude smoking nordic weed everyday in the woods.

This would be perfectly acceptable.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
It's hard to track down but Vinland Saga has some awesome fanart.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Wow, JerseyMonkey, thanks for the thread! I've never even heard of Vinland Saga before but so far I'm loving it. I'm only on episode 11, but I am enjoying it immensely.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Demtor posted:

Wow, JerseyMonkey, thanks for the thread! I've never even heard of Vinland Saga before but so far I'm loving it. I'm only on episode 11, but I am enjoying it immensely.

.. episode?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you click through the pages really fast...

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
Any bets as to whether thors is thorfinns real father/who his real father is?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Any bets as to whether thors is thorfinns real father/who his real father is?

Uhhh why wouldn't he be his real father?

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Zorak posted:

Uhhh why wouldn't he be his real father?

Just a guess but Thorfinn doesn't look anything like Thors and it's mentioned at least a couple of different times by different characters, when he's fighting Thorkell the second time it shows a direct comparison between the two and Thorkell says they don't have the same "look in their eye", it shows his sister being born but we never see Thorfinns birth we just know he was with Thors as a kid around 2-4, Thors shows a soft spot for adopting thralls. His fighting to live up to his father reputation and avenge him has also been a pretty big plot point and it wouldn't surprise me to see the writers turn that on its head. Could be totally wrong of course.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Just a guess but Thorfinn doesn't look anything like Thors and it's mentioned at least a couple of different times by different characters, when he's fighting Thorkell the second time it shows a direct comparison between the two and Thorkell says they don't have the same "look in their eye", it shows his sister being born but we never see Thorfinns birth we just know he was with Thors as a kid around 2-4, Thors shows a soft spot for adopting thralls. His fighting to live up to his father reputation and avenge him has also been a pretty big plot point and it wouldn't surprise me to see the writers turn that on its head. Could be totally wrong of course.

You are retarded. By look in the eye they mean that "realization of the truth of the world" that the Prince got.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 27, 2009

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Zorak posted:

.. episode?

Er, my bad? I'm used to Berserk where chapters are called episodes according to an interview with the author Miura. Of course, he's a little special so... I dunno.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Zorak posted:

You are retarded. By look in the eye they mean that "realization of the truth of the world" that the Prince got.

That's a bit harsh calling him a retard. He's just over analysing things.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Everyone I've gotten to read Vinland Saga has pointed out that Thorfinn looks nothing like his father. I don't think this is an uncommon interpretation.

Especially with "father issues" being a major theme in the prologue and all.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

It's frustrating this series keeps killing off my favorite characters. Thors was first and Bjorn was second followed shortly by Askeladd. Now we get left with an emo lumberjack... what the? Can't say I saw that one coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

That's a bit harsh calling him a retard. He's just over analysing things.

No, he missed the entire point of like 20 chapters of exposition. That's dumb.

Brannock posted:

Everyone I've gotten to read Vinland Saga has pointed out that Thorfinn looks nothing like his father. I don't think this is an uncommon interpretation.

Especially with "father issues" being a major theme in the prologue and all.

He's like what, 14? And he looks more like his mother so :ssh: Besides, he looks quite a bit like Thors now!