Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The season has been absolutely cooking ever since Gardar showed up. They took some stuff that was harrowing and dramatic enough already on the manga page and amped it way up. Extremely well done adaptation.

Edit: I think the passion of the anime team for this story shines through in stuff like this trailer they put out for the last few episodes of the season. I love that they tie it all back to the first episode where a young Thorfinn couldn't believe his ancestors ran away to Iceland and show the journey he has gone on over the course of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBetoIlnDIM

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

having caught up to the manga again, I believe in a happy ending

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

S2 is nailing every high point in farmland saga - it’s an absolute delight.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I am kind of sad that they seemingly skipped over Einar and Thorfinn's vow to build Vinland as a land of peace in Arnheid's memory over her grave, but maybe they're just moving it back towards the end of the season for dramatic effect. And I did like the anime original stuff they added in its place at the end of the episode, particularly Thorfinn echoing some of Canute's past ruminations on God's attitude to human suffering before deciding to go meet with him. Also just the absolute flex of "Canute only brought a hundred guys, no matter how this goes down I should be fine." :allears:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 24, 2023

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the anime exclusive additions make me sad because it's looking less and less likely we'll get the fettered tern mini-arc that follows farmland saga. i was really hoping to see gudrid and hild before the next break

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
After 10,000 years it's time for a new chapter of Otoyomegatari
It's a Smith & Talas chapter but more importantly a cat

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin posted:

I am kind of sad that they seemingly skipped over Einar and Thorfinn's vow to build Vinland as a land of peace in Arnheid's memory over her grave, but maybe they're just moving it back towards the end of the season for dramatic effect.

Aaaand that's exactly what happened. Fair enough :toot:

Still one more episode left despite this one wrapping up the farm arc, so it looks like we might be getting at least the very start of the return to Iceland which I think would be a nice touch and an uplifting way to end the second season.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/a60f8217-08f3-4f7b-87f3-3d414f6911a6

Welp

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That’s not good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah as soon as I saw smallpox blankets handkerchiefs, the only thing that came to mind was also "welp". no alt history happy ending here

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
lmao can we even salvage a bittersweet ending at this point or is Thorfinn just doomed to be miserable his entire life?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I guess in terms of alt-history endings they could just agree to stay separated from the tribe, though obviously that wouldn't work in the longer term.

Alternatively, Bug-eyes awakens to the fact that he is a reincarnated 21st century immunologist and invents the smallpox vaccine.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

avoiding all of the black bars as an anime-only, but i'm just about finished with vinland saga s2 and wow it has been excellent

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I think Season 2 was like, an episode and maybe a quarter too long. 2 episodes long at the outset. A few things felt like they got stretched out a bit, but on the whole it was a fantastic adaptation and made some excellent directorial decisions otherwise compared to the original (namely Einar taking much longer to call Thorfinn a friend.) Pretty easy to recommend.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

lmao can we even salvage a bittersweet ending at this point or is Thorfinn just doomed to be miserable his entire life?

It kind of does feel like the entire saga is going to have been for nothing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like it's going to really gently caress Thorfinn up realizing that he basically caused all these people to die. Which he basically did, even though he obviously didn't intend to - they wouldn't have come if not for his actions.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Seems fine

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I started a rewatch of Vinland Saga now that Season 2 is over. Needed a refresh of everything before I dive into it. Once I get to the end of Season 2, what chapter would I be looking at to pick up the story?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Season 2 ends exactly at the end of chapter 100, so chapter 101.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perfect, thanks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm just about at the halfway point of season 2 and oh man that reunion with Askeladd was wonderful. For all the hatred that prick had within him, he's still looking out for Thorfinn I was actually tearing up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new vinland saga

and so, history comes to pass. sad, but inevitable.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

new vinland saga

and so, history comes to pass. sad, but inevitable.
I have to say, this wasn't how I saw this going down. From everything we've seen of Thorfinn, just leaving is the path he'd take, but I'd always assumed they'd be forced into that situation rather than Thorfinn seeing the writing on the walls and just giving up preemptively.

It's really sad that even just giving up is something Thorfinn is likely going to have to overcome a lot of challenges to accomplish.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eiba posted:

I have to say, this wasn't how I saw this going down. From everything we've seen of Thorfinn, just leaving is the path he'd take, but I'd always assumed they'd be forced into that situation rather than Thorfinn seeing the writing on the walls and just giving up preemptively.

It's really sad that even just giving up is something Thorfinn is likely going to have to overcome a lot of challenges to accomplish.

While he might not have been forced into it it doesn't seem like a decision that will go over easily with everyone. You cross the ocean to settle a new land and then the one who led you says its time to leave. You lead several war bands to drive off the Nords only for them to voluntarily withdraw. The challenge I can see coming from this is the momentum of either side's motivations for staying/fighting being a lot to overcome without bloodshed.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 28, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arc Hammer posted:

While he might not have been forced into it it doesn't seem like a decision that will go over easily with everyone. You cross the ocean to settle a new land and then the one who led you says its time to leave. You lead several war bands to drive off the Nords only for them to voluntarily withdraw. The challenge I can see coming from this is the momentum of either side's motivations for stayong/fighting being a lot to overcome without bloodshed.

Yep even Einar, who I don't think has disagreed with Thorfinn over anything even remotely significant since the end of the farm arc, had the initial reaction of no I'm not just giving up my whole new life here I've spent all this time and effort to establish. The Lnu warrior also pointed out that they've just pulled a ton of warriors together promising a big battle, and it's not easy to just turn all those boys around and send them home after whipping them into a frenzy. There's going to be a lot of resistance from both sides and I think it would take a minor miracle for everybody to actually get to the end of Spring and have everybody evacuate without any blood getting spilled.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

:(

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Had a sad chuckle at the warriors going: wait, they will agree to all our demands? What the hell are we going to do now?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
plus, there's always the suspicion that if you allow them to peacefully leave, the nords could always take the opportunity to return with more strength

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am curious to see how the story will play with history and if it'll decide to give a firm reason why the Norse never returned to Vinland after they abandoned their first settlement. There's plenty of likely reasons and disease and climate are the big ones but because we don't know the specifics it gives the manga a chance to write up its own equally plausible reason that once Thorfinn and crew leave, it's a permanent end for settlement efforts.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

While it won't make for a great story, honestly if they do go back after such a failure it will be very hard for Thorfinn or anyone else to get funding and settlers for another attempt. It was hard enough rhe first time, now that they know there are hostile people there and a "weak" leader?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While sad, this basically makes sense. It's an unsolvable problem, because the Nords literally can't safely coexist with the natives. The challenge at this point is how to even pull off the withdrawal without it devolving into violence (since both sides aren't going to want to accept this).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

As a side note, I've been reading a book, Indigenous Continent, about the history of North America concentrating more on indigenous agency than traditional histories. The native warriors getting together and going "we don't actually care about these people, but their metal axes are pretty sweet, so let's figure out how we get as many of those as possible" rings very true to history. The next step would be, "let's create an alliance with these strangers to fight our enemies," which would have been an interesting dilemma for Thorfinn to face, but it seems like things aren't going to get that far.

There were also definitely indigenous groups who figured out that all these new diseases were associated with the newcomers and took precautions, including violently keeping out outsiders, so to be honest this all tracks as historically plausible, even if it's happening on a far smaller scale and much quicker than how things went down when later Europeans showed up.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Finally a new chapter of Otoyomegatari. Smith finally made it home and things are about as expected :unsmith:

These kinds of lines hit differently when your dad is rocking the imperial beard.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
even in a series set in central asia, mori still finds a way to draw a bunch of victorian maids

i've been thinking through the last bit of this arc that smith is being to blase about the whole situation, i would love to find out he's actually put some thought into how to cushion talis from culture shock and victorian racism

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Brought To You By posted:

Finally a new chapter of Otoyomegatari. Smith finally made it home and things are about as expected :unsmith:

These kinds of lines hit differently when your dad is rocking the imperial beard.

As mentioned in the mangadex comments, this chapter was pretty light on backgrounds, probably due to Mori's recent health scare. Hope she can take it easy, but also eager to see how victorian maids save the day (again).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SexyBlindfold posted:

As mentioned in the mangadex comments, this chapter was pretty light on backgrounds, probably due to Mori's recent health scare. Hope she can take it easy, but also eager to see how victorian maids save the day (again).

I'm so happy to see in that post that she's still doing Shirley Madison.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Vinland Saga Chapter 206

It gets much worse.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just going to p[retend that the chapter was about a kid falling asleep waiting for their sibling to be born and nothing else happens la la la la la

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Well that escalated much quicker than expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh. :smith: