Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Zorak posted:

Raws for both Vinland Saga 49 and 50 are scanned now. Not to wait for AnonymousSpore to scanalate them.

FINALLLY, YES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rghayati
Dec 29, 2007

That is awesome news. Vinland Saga is easily my favorite manga, but the waits kill me.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

v07ch49 is now out.

http://read.mangashare.com/Vinland-Saga/chapter-049/page001.html

And now that I post this, 50 is now out!

http://read.mangashare.com/Vinland-Saga/chapter-050/page001.html

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Shorter than I expected, but still, releases of Vinland Saga are always a good thing. Not surprised that Thorfinn didn't react at all to Leif. And, as always, Askeladd is awesome.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Brawling is not the only form of warfare indeed. Love all this intrigue.

I will say, for half a second I was preparing a "well that's not historical" post in my mind after they revealed Canute was a woman... but then I remembered they still hadn't shown the person's face and it all made sense. I did like how that one random guy shouted that he'd always suspected the prince was a woman within earshot of the actual prince. Heh.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Sort of weird that chapters 49 + 50 came out fairly concurrently and were basically half chapters anyway. Thorfinn is REALLY starting to go off the deep-end, holy crap.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I feel pretty sure that Askeladd's gonna be killed by Thorfinn eventually at this point.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Motorball posted:

I feel pretty sure that Askeladd's gonna be killed by Thorfinn eventually at this point.

Uh well yeah. Did you need to spoiler that?

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
It's been many chapters now since his transformation, but the prince turning from an autistic pussy into the badass motherfucker that he is now is probably one of the most impressive character development I've ever seen.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MegaCharger posted:

It's been many chapters now since his transformation, but the prince turning from an autistic pussy into the badass motherfucker that he is now is probably one of the most impressive character development I've ever seen.

It's major character development but I don't really know if it was pulled off that well. The change seemed fairly arbitrary and an asspull - the explanation for it, anyway. The development was foreshadowed, the actions are impressive, and it fits well in the story, but I'm still bothered by it because it was so sudden and caused by a really dumb thing.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Brannock posted:

It's major character development but I don't really know if it was pulled off that well. The change seemed fairly arbitrary and an asspull - the explanation for it, anyway. The development was foreshadowed, the actions are impressive, and it fits well in the story, but I'm still bothered by it because it was so sudden and caused by a really dumb thing.

The Roman Emperor Constantine converted to Christianity after seeing a burning cross during a battle or something. So it isn't that bad really...

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Uh well yeah. Did you need to spoiler that?
Losing precious seconds mousing over it?

I think the change of character could have been given more time but in the end it doesn't really matter. The plot started to really move because of it and it's a monthly release so I dont wanna wait and wait for poo poo to happen.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If this is still the general historical manga topic, quite a few new chapters of Historie are out, though it looks like they're using the sketchy (literally) magazine version.

We also finally learn what anyone who had enough historical knowledge to know how many eyes King Phillip of Macedon had already guessed- that one fellow from the first scene of the manga was in fact King Phillip, conqueror of Greece, father of Alexander the Great. It looks like Eumenes' real adventures are about to begin.

(It just blows me away- if there was any one person in history I'd want to see a manga about, it'd probably be Eumenes of Cardia... and drat, someone is making a manga about him.)

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Eiba posted:

:words:

Heh, I was just about to post the update for those chapters. Glad to see others showing interest in Historie. Such a grand manga.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

If this is still the general historical manga topic, quite a few new chapters of Historie are out, though it looks like they're using the sketchy (literally) magazine version.

We also finally learn what anyone who had enough historical knowledge to know how many eyes King Phillip of Macedon had already guessed- that one fellow from the first scene of the manga was in fact King Phillip, conqueror of Greece, father of Alexander the Great. It looks like Eumenes' real adventures are about to begin.

(It just blows me away- if there was any one person in history I'd want to see a manga about, it'd probably be Eumenes of Cardia... and drat, someone is making a manga about him.)
You cost me a good night's sleep but it was worth it. It was really only chapter 43 that had sketchy art but at least it didn't drop to anywhere near Hunter X Hunter levels.

It alternates a lot between "wow that's awesome" and "wow that's sad".

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

cooldude2.0 posted:

You cost me a good night's sleep but it was worth it. It was really only chapter 43 that had sketchy art but at least it didn't drop to anywhere near Hunter X Hunter levels.

It alternates a lot between "wow that's awesome" and "wow that's sad".

43 was sketchy because they translated the "magazine release" version. The ones that were scanned before were volume releases that were redone.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well wouldn't you know- they guy who's translating Historie is also doing Vinland Saga now.

You can find chapters 51 and 52 of Vinland Saga here.

As for comment on the chapters, I don't think I can say any more than... holy crap this is awesome!

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate

Eiba posted:

Well wouldn't you know- they guy who's translating Historie is also doing Vinland Saga now.

As for comment on the chapters, I don't think I can say any more than... holy crap this is awesome!

Holy gently caress I did not see that coming.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Holy poo poo!

Is this how Thorfinn ends up going with Leif?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MegaCharger posted:

Holy gently caress I did not see that coming.
Neither did I and I'm passingly familiar with the history! I can't find anything on how Sweyn Forkbeard died, though I knew he was King of England for only a couple months...

Of course, that makes some sense. As far as I can tell, Askeladd is a fictional character... "Lucius Artorius Castus" is thought to be the basis of the King Arthur legends, but he lived in the second century AD... (For the record, the latest chapter took place on February 3, 1014 AD.)

Actually... considering what happened historically after this (check Wikipedia if you want to be spoiled), and Askeladd's goals... I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen.

This is going to be fun.

Edit:
Wait... (Historical spoilers) Thorfinn Karlsefni lead his expedition to Vinland in 1010... four years before Sweyn's death. Oh well. They still got Canute's story right, so I still think they'll do what I think. They just pushed Thorfinn's expedition back so he can take part in these events.

I really should have realized that a while ago...

Eiba fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 28, 2009

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Eiba posted:

Link isn't working. Seems really short for a mediafire link too.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

51 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?oddwdqxjzzl
52 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hkmjjt2ih35

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Boy, almost every manga I read has had some absolutely awesome chapters released this week.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Ah, I love this manga more and more. What a lovely way to dethrone a King.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Re chapter 52:
Holy poo poo Askeladd never ceases to be awesome.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Why does this manga have to be so good? The wait is excruciating.

kantarell
Jun 14, 2008

Brannock posted:

Why does this manga have to be so good? The wait is excruciating.

Agreed, the irregularity is killing me!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Is this a monthly manga or has everything been released and we're just waiting on the translators to get this poo poo out?

I'm willing to become a cleaner for whatever group is doing this just so we can get more of this.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh baby, you can behead my king any time.

GreenFuz
Aug 30, 2000

by Peatpot

Suspicious Lump posted:

Is this a monthly manga or has everything been released and we're just waiting on the translators to get this poo poo out?

I'm willing to become a cleaner for whatever group is doing this just so we can get more of this.

It's monthly, and the scanlations are current.

I'm really nervous about how Yukimura is going to handle the resolution of the Thorfinn/Askeladd conflict, simply because I don't give a toss about Thorfinn, while Askeladd's crafty old bastard act is just too much fun.

varo
Jan 2, 2009

New chapter's out on mangatraders.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

varo posted:

New chapter's out on mangatraders.

HOLY FUCKKKKKK. I wish I could get this series a volume at a time :c

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I haven't gotten this link specifically to work, but it should be the latest chapter.

Thorfinn's face on the final panel neatly mirrored my own at that point.

Holy poo poo indeed!

Needless to say... I completely did not see that coming!

Historical spoilers and speculation: In case anyone was wondering, the English king (Ethelred the Unready) is going to take this opportunity to return from Normandy, and Canute will leave without contesting England- he'll be back with Thorkell the Tall by his side a few years later to kick rear end and build an empire.

With Askeladd out of the way, Thorfinn has no reason to stick around (unless his grudge shifts to Canute by the transitive property), so I'm not sure if we'll be be seeing all that in this manga, but I guess we could as Thorfinn is much to young yet to lead an expidition to Vinland.

The other possibility is that we'll be seeing a time skip before he heads off to Vinland, where a lot more asskicking awaits (though it'll be hard to match Askeladd's story). Either a time skip or he has mostly unrelated adventures for a while... though I can't think of any notable wars going on at the time off the top of my head.

Of course, I had it pegged that Askeladd would run off and join Ethelred's faction, and Thorfinn would stick with Canute as they fought to reconquer England and kill Askeladd... we all know how that turned out, so perhaps I'm not good at predicting these things.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

So apparently in this series it takes a "king" to kill a "king".

Yeah, except that sounds stupid. You know what I meant.
vvvvvvvvv

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 24, 2009

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Jackard posted:

So apparently in this series it takes a royalty to kill a royalty.
Fixed for you.

Did not see that coming. You guys remember Bjorn and how he died? I hope the same thing happens here.

edit: Holy poo poo I just realised something, Askeladd saw the prince coming and just took it.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 24, 2009

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Suspicious Lump posted:

Fixed for you.

Did not see that coming. You guys remember Bjorn and how he died? I hope the same thing happens here.

edit: Holy poo poo I just realised something, Askeladd saw the prince coming and just took it.

What else was he going to do? There's no way he's walking away from this with what ammounts to the entire English army kicking in the door. Getting stabbed by the prince was a best case scenerio.

I sure hope he isn't dead. C'mon, breastplate and pig's bladder fulla blood! Askeladd needs a new pair of story lines!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

I sure hope he isn't dead. C'mon, breastplate and pig's bladder fulla blood! Askeladd needs a new pair of story lines!
He was dressed for a party- I don't think he was wearing any armor to speak of...

Also, I just noticed something incredible about the chapter: the small words on the final page say: "The prologue has reached it's climax." This whole manga so far has all been the prologue for the real story!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 24, 2009

bondster
May 6, 2007

Eiba posted:

Also, I just noticed something incredible about the chapter: the small words on the final page say: "The prologue has reached it's climax." This whole manga so far has all been the prologue for the real story!

:aaaaa: I just now noticed this, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I noticed but paid it no mind since it'll take years to get into the proper story. :mmmhmm:

Maybe we'll have a short time skip.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 24, 2009