Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

One of the fun things about manga is the fact that it's produced by a culture that is quite foreign to our own. It's alien in a way, and that gives rise to some interesting takes and insight. Sometimes mangaka focus on topics quite peculiar to both their culture and our own though, such as the ones here: stories about foreign history. There's quite a few good ones, including the ones below.

-----------------------------------------------

Vinland Saga
Thorfinn is son to one of the Viking's greatest warriors, but when his father is killed in battle by the mercenary leader Askeladd, he swears his intent to have revenge. Young Thorfinn joins Askeladd's group in order to challenge him to a duel, and ends up caught in the middle of a war for the crown of England.

Vinland Saga is a history manga by Makoto Yukimura (Planetes) set place around the 11th century. Its mostly about the fighting between the English and the Norse, as well as period society and agriculture.

Read the series online at Mangareader
Hox is scanlating the series, grab their latest releases from Hox's Website

Historie: A historical manga by Hitoshi Iwaaki (Parasyte) that tells the life story of Eumenes of Cardia, the classic scholar and secretary/ general to Alexander the Great.

It is a very enjoyable manga which has a lot of historical content and interesting tid-bits, telling a (relatively accurate) portrayal of the life of Eumenes and Alexander. It's extremely good at capturing the period, with all it violence and ideals, beliefs and culture.

Read the series online: Historie on Mangareader
Hox is scanlating the series, grab their latest releases from Hox's Website

Otoyomegatari / THE BRIDE'S STORIES

Set on the Silk Road that connected Asia with Europe before the modern times. Amira, a woman skilled in archery and horsemanship, is sent to marry Karluk, a boy from another village who is 8 years younger than her. But all is not well, as her village decides to take her back...

It's a very interesting and well written about a period and area you don't see much about in fiction, let alone in manga. It's fairly realistic for the time/ area with its depiction of the culture and practices (which can often seem dissonant to our own, but that's just how it rolls!), and is often quite adorable.

Buy the volumes from YenPress! They're very well done, rather large volumes in hardback.

Read the rest online: Otoyomegatari on TenManga

Victorian Romance Emma
Set in Victorian London at the end of the 19th century, Emma is the story of a maid who falls in love with a member of the gentry. However, the young man's family disapproves of him associating with people of the lower classes.
Read the series online: Emma on MangaFox

Cesare
Cesare is about the life of one of history's most enigmatic figures, Cesare Borgia, an aristocrat during the Renaissance Italy. The manga takes an intimate look at Cesare's life during his matriculation at the University of Pisa, at the tender age of 15, in the years preceding his appointment as a cardinal of the Holy See.
Read the series online: Cesare on Mangareader

The Rose of Versailles & Eikou no Napoleon – Eroica
Blurb coming soon.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

That is all.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Just found this website:

http://www.austevoll.kommune.no/vinnes/engbib/eventyr/perpaul/page1.html

Gives the story of Espen Askeladd. Interesting little tale.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Thanx for heads up. Seems like we're getting this issues pretty quickly. This is a monthly manga right?

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

chocojosh posted:

Berserk is my absolutely favourite anime/manga EVER. That being said, will I also love Vinland Saga?

Am I allowed to ask for a link to the scanlations?

Vinland Saga is an awesome manga.

I posted a link to the downloads in the first post. You can either go straight to Mangascreen for first four volumes, or you can check out mangatraders for all the current volumes for easy downloading.

(BTW Happy to see thread not dead, even though manga hasn't been scanlated in a wihle. Anyone know why its taking so long for 42 to come out?)

Related: Historie has had a few more chapters released.

New historie out today. Hoorah!

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 23, 2008

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Seems we got three new chapters for Historie chapters 36 to 38. (Check out mangatrader's link to grab it. Sorry for not direct link, not sure where source is.)

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Remo posted:

Just saw another interesting historical manga which showed up on onemanga

Cesare

Summary

"Bookish and naive, Angelo da Canossa is unprepared for life as a student in a university that hums with tension and intrigue in Renaissance Italy. Will his innocence remain intact when a chance encounter with the charismatic Cesare draws him ever deeper into the darker side of the Renaissance?"

Its like Historie, but focuses more on the political intrigue and plotting amongst the different factions in the city of Pisa in the 15th century. Only up to 10 chapters at the moment, but its been great so far.

Looks interesting, thanx for recommendation. (And thanx for keeping thread alive.) When the hell are we getting an update to Vinland Saga or Historie? :(

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Remo posted:

Cesare

Finally got a chance to read this manga. The first couple pages gave me the impression of a manga I would dislike, but after the first volume I am addicted. Thank you grealty for the recommendation. Another for me to read. (Adding it to OP.)

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 1, 2008

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

New chapters!
42: http://www.mediafire.com/?fk4wfwfiqtu
43: http://www.mediafire.com/?kfbbznxua1h

Plot is advancing really quickly it seems.

Holy poo poo yes! I was going through my bookmarks going "eh...couple new posts in some threads...VINLAND SAGA NEW CHAPTERS?! YES!!!!!!" Time to read and ENJOY.

*edit*

Just read it, adn holy crap I just had a stupid grin on my face enjoying those chapters. God drat am I excited for next chapters. (And I am dreading how painful it will be waiting.)

FUCKKKKKK PIZZA BURNING, BAD DISTRACTION!

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 21, 2008

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Eiba posted:

The answer appears to be yes.

Anyone have an idea as to how many chapters might end up in this little batch?

Ah, this keeps making my days. My guess is this'll end once this volume is complete, then another 6 months of pain of sorts. I remember hearing they were waiting for the next volume to be released, so this is probably that.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

46 is out on mangatraders. Awesomeness.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Zorak posted:

Raws for both Vinland Saga 49 and 50 are scanned now. Not to wait for AnonymousSpore to scanalate them.

FINALLLY, YES!

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

v07ch49 is now out.

http://read.mangashare.com/Vinland-Saga/chapter-049/page001.html

And now that I post this, 50 is now out!

http://read.mangashare.com/Vinland-Saga/chapter-050/page001.html

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Eiba posted:

:words:

Heh, I was just about to post the update for those chapters. Glad to see others showing interest in Historie. Such a grand manga.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Ah, I love this manga more and more. What a lovely way to dethrone a King.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Your post got me to finally use Danbooru for once, and sadly, you posted all pictures already. :( Awesome images though.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

While we wait for Vinland Saga, Historie Chapter 54 has been released.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?55zmqyiz2wu

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Was planning on posting in this thread asking where the hell the update was, and finally. What a bizarre chapter.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Brannock posted:

Is this Willibald in the top panel here?

It does look like the friar.

YouTuber posted:

Probably 4 to 6 years. I have a feeling Thorfinn was roughly around the age of 12-14 when we last saw him.

If it is like any anime, Thorfinn was 5 years old, and now he is maybe 10. Seriously, anime/manga has the loving weirdest 'ages', I just ignore em.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

For those waiting for Vinland Saga, there has been a few updates for Historie and Cesare. Cesare is up to chapter 16 and Historie is up to chapter 56.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

New Chapter out! Sadly, my net is downloading at 7kb and it will take me 30 min. So it is now time to drool as each page slowly loads on OneManga.

This manga surprises me. So many entertaining pages from this short chapter, and god drat why must we wait so long for this quality?

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 2, 2009

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

^^^ gently caress you

:siren:Chapter 60:siren:

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

latency posted:

I realize this isn't BSS and this may have already been suggested, but if anyone's looking for more viking stories to read while waiting for the next chapter, check out the Northlander comics. Brian Wood rocks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northlanders

Looks pretty kickass. Gonna go pick up a copy after Christmas.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Guyver posted:

Edit: Mistook Vagabond for Vinland Saga; ignore this please.

How dare you excite me for a new chapter.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

bondster posted:

Chapter 63

Watch the thrilling slave adventures as they try and acquire a horse :suicide:

So, I went to reread some of the old chapters because that old man looks familiar. God drat is this series awesome, I loving love the old chapters. We need to get off this farm and back to the madness.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

FARMLAND: http://hox.fluffypress.com/archives/1395

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

New Vinland Saga & Historie chapter: http://hox.fluffypress.com/archives/1592

Hoooray! Time for quality FARMING material.

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 29, 2010

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

ToiletDuckie posted:

I think this chapter put and end to any dreams of a return to horse-punching in the future. Thorfinn's brief outburst, followed by the "Uh, whoops!" expression and the following events, especially the vision of his father, seems to symbolize that the violent approach isn't going to work anymore and that Thorfinn's going to spend the rest of the series reaching that same "powered by conviction / clear eyes" state his father existed in.

That awesome image then followed by that face was great. Just badass then comedy.

drat eager for next chapter.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Zorak posted:

So, I'm thinking about fixing the OP with better images and links/ information. Anyone have suggested replacement pics for both Vinland Saga/ Historie for the missing images and any new information to add?

I am also considering changing the thread title to be a bit more general, since this thread has been from the get go not just Vinland Saga but also "manga about western history" or whatever. So, should the thread be diversified to be just... that, or should it be HISTORICAL MANGAS in general (which would get us Asian history too, which is less unique and possibly historical/ realistic)?

Want to expand the thread at the very least to be about Otoyomegatari, which is fantastic.

OP here. Firstly, you made me sad as I thought a new issue of Vinland came out.

Cesare is an awesome manga and I plan to check out Otoyomegatari & Emma this evening.

Feel free to make a new thread. I started it off with general background on Vinland and desired to highlight some historical manga but there didn't seem to be much interest. I'd love to see a thread helping discover similar manga, so go for it. I love the image I used in the OP of the viking boat charge, and I assume the horse-punching image is another popular one. Depends on your focus.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Zorak posted:

No real need for a new OP, I was just going to edit it in. Of course, if you're around, you can always do it yourself and save me the effort too!

Especially if you have the original (and now) broken images that you had in the OP because those were pretty good!

I'll try revamping the OP soon, though if we want to highlight a select group of awesome historical manga, it might be difficult for people to discover them with the current header.

Didn't realize some of my images died, any idea what the policy is with Waffleimages and deletion of images? (And why some survived?) Curious if Waffle offers method to discover what the images once were, like a thumbnail.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Ah, good timing on new issue. Was disappointed earlier today to be surprised by the release.

Also, I love the strange faces in this manga.

Working on the OP. If anyone has images/descriptions to recommmend, feel free to post them. I'll try to mold it into something more mature tomorrow.

Also, Zorak didn't realize it was you. (Work internet blocks special coloring/avatars.) I like your new avatar. :P

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Updated the OP. Thanks for the topic change and improved layout of images in the OP Zorak.

I read the three volumes of Otoyomegatari and it is an awesome series. Haven't had chance to explore Emma yet.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an image to use for Cesare? I found lots of neat images such as these: http://sakkaku.splinder.com/post/16710528/cesare-borgia-di-fuyumi-souryo

But nothing seems befitting to describe the manga.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Historie c67

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

SPACE DAD posted:

As for other manga... There is Joan, which I read a loooooong time ago and now I can't find a good version of online, but I think it fits in. It's the story of this girl who sort of relives the journey or Joan of Arc ten years after the fact. Memory is a bit hazy. I think the same guy also made a manga about Jesus, but I can't find that, either. :(

The only other things I can think of don't really seem to match in tone. Like The Ravages of Time, or The Rose of Versailles. There's like a billion god drat things if you start including three kingdoms stuff and shojo, but most of it is kind of bad. (those two are ok)

For Joan of Arc, do you mean Mercenary Pierre?

Didn't realize I didn't put any images for Cesare. Your suggestions are nice, i'll consider them.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Been two months since last chapter was uploaded, which looked to be near end of Volume 3. Wikipedia says Volume 3 is latest work. Can't find anything mentioning a hiatus so I have no idea.

For those following Historie, we are now up to chapter 70.

I recently just read through all of Vagabond, really awesome manga based on the story of Miyamoto Musashi. I'm tempted to try to recreate a similar thread focused on releases like Vagabond and past series like Shigurui which offer a really neat view of samurai life.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Those interested in Cesare, all of Volume 5 has been translated: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/cesare/

Story has a quicker pace for this volume with a bit of action.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Update, it seems I was mistaken in my last post. Only half of Volume 5 was translated. Today, the rest of the chapters for Volume 5 were released which features the mock battle. Lots of action, pretty fun read.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Historie c74

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

New Vinland Saga & Historie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Vinland Saga c90: http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2013/01/price-of-meal.html