Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

JerseyMonkey posted:

New historie out today. Hoorah!
Historie doesn't get enough respect. I suspect it's because most people in this topic like Vinland Saga as a Berserk-type rather than as a historical manga. (Personally I couldn't stand Berserk, and absolutely love Vinland Saga.) Also not much has happened in Historie yet. 70% of my love for that Manga comes from the fact that I'm familiar with the history and know where Eumenes is going to end up.

I just wish it was translated faster than once every two months or so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

coefficient v2.0 posted:

God drat, Historie is incredible. Do magazine scans get released or does the group only do tankobon scans?
Apparently the magazine scans often feature rough sketches and unfinished artwork, for whatever reason, so it seems the group's not using them.

Though from what I understand there's a good chance volume 5 will be released sometime this summer.
(To think a couple posts ago I was complaining about once every couple of months, and now I'm hoping for a season- and that's just for the raws.)

And honestly, I can't wait. It seems we've finally gotten back to the very beginning of the manga where Eumenes has just met Phillip II. In other words, the story is about to really begin.

Though really, the most interesting parts of Eumenes' life occur after the death of Alexander. If every part of Eumenes' life is treated with as much detail as his (undocumented) youth has been, this will be quite an epic manga indeed. In a decade or two.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Remo posted:

Its like Historie, but focuses more on the political intrigue and plotting amongst the different factions in the city of Pisa in the 15th century. Only up to 10 chapters at the moment, but its been great so far.

I read that a bit ago and thought it was pretty good, and quite a bit like Historie. However I like competent intelligent Eumenes a lot more than bumbling naive Angelo, and though Alexander hasn't shown up in Historie, the man who conquered the known world set against... Cesare Borgia...

Well heck, there's no reason to set them against each other, they're both pretty good. If you liked Historie you'll probobly get something out of this.

And the wait for the next Historie is so very long.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Now, seeing as we've gotten two at once, can we expect more in the near future?

I'm really loving this whole competent leader thing Canute suddenly developed.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Eiba posted:

Now, seeing as we've gotten two at once, can we expect more in the near future?
The answer appears to be yes.

Anyone have an idea as to how many chapters might end up in this little batch?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure, at least as long as they're following Canute around, that Thorfinn will mostly just be hanging around, almost as much a spectator as us. The reason I think this is that Thorfinn is actually a historical figure, and he's not notable for his relationship to Canute or the wars in England.

He'll probobly be more awesome once we get to what this manga is really about, judging by the title.

(Incidentally, Thorkell is also a historical figure (known to history as Thorkell the Tall), as is Canute obviously. I couldn't find anything on Askeladd, though.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Which other characters are historical figures as well? Was Thorfinn's father real?
Well, there's Lief Erickson (at least, I think that's who the Lief in the flashback was) but I imagine you already knew about him. King Sweyn (or Sweyn Forkbeard, as history calls him) should be another no-brainer.

The only thing I can find about Thorfinn's father is that Thorfinn is sometimes called Thorfinnr Thordarson (but he's usually known as Thorfinn Karlsefni). As for his status as a legendary Jomsviking... some consider the group to be entirely mythical (and consider Thorkell's past to be fictionalized as well). I imagine it was possible that there was a legend of a Troll of Jom, but I can't find anything on it.

And far be it from me to destroy an illusion of learnedness, but my source for all this has just been Wikipedia. For Major plot spoilers pertaining to where the manga is going, check out this.

For something more funny, the figure on the left of this picture is actually supposed to be our protagonist. There's also supposedly a statue of him in Philadelphia.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nice, Askeladd is pretty scary moments after he kills his best friend. Looks like we'll be getting some back story next chapter, too.

But why is it only 24 pages? Looking back I see it's pretty variable, but that's the shortest one we've had in months. Oh well.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fantastic. "Next chapter: The plot thickens," indeed.

Light historical spoilers: It's way to early for Thorfinn to have his historical relation with Lief... I really do wonder how he's going to be involved in the story now.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

New chapter out on One Manga.

I have to say, as a general comment, that I'm so unused to Japanese media being historically accurate that I get a little thrill each time they do something right. This manga does so much right.

As for the specific events: what a way to meet again... I kind of saw it coming once we got the basic scenario down. And I don't think anyone's been fooled into thinking Canute actually got shot, what with the suspicious separate reaction and arrow impact shots.

Unfortunately this chapter is mostly leading up to the next one... Oh, monthly manga...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Brawling is not the only form of warfare indeed. Love all this intrigue.

I will say, for half a second I was preparing a "well that's not historical" post in my mind after they revealed Canute was a woman... but then I remembered they still hadn't shown the person's face and it all made sense. I did like how that one random guy shouted that he'd always suspected the prince was a woman within earshot of the actual prince. Heh.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If this is still the general historical manga topic, quite a few new chapters of Historie are out, though it looks like they're using the sketchy (literally) magazine version.

We also finally learn what anyone who had enough historical knowledge to know how many eyes King Phillip of Macedon had already guessed- that one fellow from the first scene of the manga was in fact King Phillip, conqueror of Greece, father of Alexander the Great. It looks like Eumenes' real adventures are about to begin.

(It just blows me away- if there was any one person in history I'd want to see a manga about, it'd probably be Eumenes of Cardia... and drat, someone is making a manga about him.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well wouldn't you know- they guy who's translating Historie is also doing Vinland Saga now.

You can find chapters 51 and 52 of Vinland Saga here.

As for comment on the chapters, I don't think I can say any more than... holy crap this is awesome!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MegaCharger posted:

Holy gently caress I did not see that coming.
Neither did I and I'm passingly familiar with the history! I can't find anything on how Sweyn Forkbeard died, though I knew he was King of England for only a couple months...

Of course, that makes some sense. As far as I can tell, Askeladd is a fictional character... "Lucius Artorius Castus" is thought to be the basis of the King Arthur legends, but he lived in the second century AD... (For the record, the latest chapter took place on February 3, 1014 AD.)

Actually... considering what happened historically after this (check Wikipedia if you want to be spoiled), and Askeladd's goals... I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen.

This is going to be fun.

Edit:
Wait... (Historical spoilers) Thorfinn Karlsefni lead his expedition to Vinland in 1010... four years before Sweyn's death. Oh well. They still got Canute's story right, so I still think they'll do what I think. They just pushed Thorfinn's expedition back so he can take part in these events.

I really should have realized that a while ago...

Eiba fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 28, 2009

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I haven't gotten this link specifically to work, but it should be the latest chapter.

Thorfinn's face on the final panel neatly mirrored my own at that point.

Holy poo poo indeed!

Needless to say... I completely did not see that coming!

Historical spoilers and speculation: In case anyone was wondering, the English king (Ethelred the Unready) is going to take this opportunity to return from Normandy, and Canute will leave without contesting England- he'll be back with Thorkell the Tall by his side a few years later to kick rear end and build an empire.

With Askeladd out of the way, Thorfinn has no reason to stick around (unless his grudge shifts to Canute by the transitive property), so I'm not sure if we'll be be seeing all that in this manga, but I guess we could as Thorfinn is much to young yet to lead an expidition to Vinland.

The other possibility is that we'll be seeing a time skip before he heads off to Vinland, where a lot more asskicking awaits (though it'll be hard to match Askeladd's story). Either a time skip or he has mostly unrelated adventures for a while... though I can't think of any notable wars going on at the time off the top of my head.

Of course, I had it pegged that Askeladd would run off and join Ethelred's faction, and Thorfinn would stick with Canute as they fought to reconquer England and kill Askeladd... we all know how that turned out, so perhaps I'm not good at predicting these things.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

I sure hope he isn't dead. C'mon, breastplate and pig's bladder fulla blood! Askeladd needs a new pair of story lines!
He was dressed for a party- I don't think he was wearing any armor to speak of...

Also, I just noticed something incredible about the chapter: the small words on the final page say: "The prologue has reached it's climax." This whole manga so far has all been the prologue for the real story!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 24, 2009

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nubian Robodin posted:

This is true but who is he going to rely on for advice, Thorkell?
He's not known to history as Canute the Great just because he had a crafty adviser. He's no fool, something tells me he'll be fine on his own.

Askeladd was dead the moment he killed the king and started calling himself King Arthur in front of everybody- if Canute hasn't killed him with that stab, Askeladd should probably drive the sword further in himself, as that's certainly the best possible way for him to go.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

badOrigo posted:

A few details annoy me though since it put so much effort into historical facts. Lief wasn't called Leif the Lucky but Leif the Happy (Leif den Lykkelige) and the cause of berserk is still unknowen. The fly agaric mushroom is just one among many theories. Similar to it toadskin and specific bogplants have been mentioned. Also spiritual rituals and booze. The latter might be more likely since produsing berserk far from home on command could be difficult at times otherwise.
Keep in mind this isn't a history book, it's historical fiction- The author is perfectly allowed to take one of several competing theories and say, "it was this." Think about it, you couldn't exactly have the berserkers themselves unsure of how to go berserk.

And the biggest historical liberty is undoubtedly the fact that in reality King Sweyn died after Thorsfinn (minor history spoilers) led an expedition to Vinland. The ages don't match up at all.

And personally I never heard the theory that King Arthur was an actual figure... who lived in the 11th century.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

badOrigo posted:

But in all fairness it was a name given to him by a women who was on the brink of insanity even if her 'royal' line might justify it
Actually, I slightly misremembered things. You're right, he was probably named after Lucius Artorius Castus the "true" King Arthur, rather than being the original himself- that makes a lot more sense.

Anyway, I'm assuming that our Thorfinn is the same as this Thorfinn, and I imagine that our story will eventually encompass these events, which took place around 1010 AD. (It should go without saying that these links might contain significant plot spoilers if he's our Thorfinn.)

In comparison, Sweyn Forkbeard died in 1014.

It's quite possible that the name is a coincidence, but considering what he did and what this manga is called... I'm going to assume the author just fudged the dates a bit so Thorfinn could hang out with Canute and Thorkell and other cool historical people.

quote:

Anyway. What annoy me about it is that the factor of 'lies hidden in truth' will set in. People who read this comic will years from now start to get the facts confused and I might have to be around and listen to them.
Yeah, that kind of thing is pretty annoying, but I'd say it's more the fault of someone who gets their historical knowledge from comic books than it is the author's.

In any case, most people think Vikings wore horned helmets and such- from that baseline any knowledge gained from Vinland Saga is quite a step up.

Fake Edit:

Gyges posted:

He wasn't a figure of the 11th century, that's when the story is happening now. However there are several possible Arthurs, most likely all of whom were amalgamated into the Arthur of legend. The Arturos mentioned by Askeladd's mother is one of the possible candidates.
The name given in the manga matches the name of a certain Roman commander who lived in the 2nd century. As badOrigo mentioned, it's likely Askeladd was named after this guy specifically, and I was being dumb.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh man, there have been so many great expressions recently, but Thorfinn's face on page 21... I think that's the first time we've seen him that way. Not even when his father died was he at such a loss...

And he's left his father's blade behind. Looks like the real story is about to begin.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hentaikid posted:

He certainly was a cool character but I still remember him putting a whole village to death for a temporary tactical advantage. Fucker was cold blooded as hell.
I actually really liked that. Err, well, "liked" probably isn't the right word, but all to often in this type of thing the historical sense morality is completely forgotten in characters we're supposed to like and replaced with more modern sensibilities. Not here, Askeladd and the rest of the vikings are amoral as hell.

In fact, that kind of uncomfortable amorality of theoretically sympathetic main characters is the one similarity that's really struck me between this and Planetes (this author's previous work, if anyone didn't know). Locksmith's cold assertion to the press that, "the next one won't fail" after causing an engine to explode during testing killing hundreds of people (and the fact that Hachimaki's father signed up because of that attitude), evokes the same kind of uncomfortable but not necessarily unsympathetic feeling as Askeladd casually having a village massacred because they were inconvenient. I thought it was pretty cool in both works. I guess I just like being made to sympathize with characters I vehemently disagree with.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Squidgee Moot posted:

I've got a pretty good feeling about this.
I disagree- I think that arrogant son guy is way too dumb and annoying to be offed casually, to the contrary, he's being set up as a prime candidate for character development. My prediction: something will happen that will result in Thorfinn, New Guy, and Arrogant Son Guy going off on an adventure together.

Yeah, that's a terrible prediction, but the obvious route is a bit too obvious.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Haha, what? Does One Manga introduce errors into what they upload or something? It's fine here. And this one too.

It's like the folks who run One Manga don't even want you to use it over Manga Fox.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Still one of my favorite manga. I do like that they've cut back to Canute- his story promises to be quite interesting still.

Zorak posted:

So has Canute lost his philosophy to greed or is it a front...?
Nah, as the whole 'Oh yeah, kill all those looters as an example' bit showed, he's still got his Christian idealism firmly in mind, but he's no longer afraid to do whatever it takes to reach his goal. His reaction at the end of this chapter is doubtlessly because no amount would make him withdraw his forces- he's there to take Mercia, not some petty bribe.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

History time! The English king who died off screen this chapter was known as Ethelred the Unready, which is a hilariously insulting epithet, but is actually a mistranslation of an Old English pun. He was really called Ĉŝelrĉd Unrĉd, his name Ĉŝelrĉd literally meaning 'good advice,' and his epithet Unrĉd litereally meaning 'bad advice.' This probably refers to the bad advice he had been given throughout his life, rather than any personal failing on his part (though certainly the fact that he took the bad advice says something).

As for the chapter: drat, Canute. He has come a long way from the quiet kid in the cart who looked like a girl.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Volume posted:

I guess if you had read all the way through the kick rear end prologue this might be a nice change of pace but at the rate that it comes out is just so slow that it feels like nothing is happening.
I agree insomuch as I want more awesome farming inaction, but I've been following this on a monthly basis for ages and I don't feel any less dissatisfied with a bit of monthly farming action than I did with a bit of monthly viking action.

That said I hate monthly manga in general (even the awesome ones like this one) for being so drat slow.

Farms are awesome, though. Einar's really growing on me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Volume posted:

At first I thought "Suck Harder" was referring to all the work they did. Now I just see that it refers to jack poo poo happening!
Jack poo poo happening? Are you kidding? Did you see how many stumps they pulled up with that horse? They might even be able to plant crops by fall! Bad. rear end.

I hope Farming Saga never ends.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

OneMinusOne posted:

I am enjoying farmville saga, however I think in less than ten chapters it will end. I belive EITHER thorfinn will be found by Canute's men and re-drafted in service, or else he will become free and go on an ocean adventure, thus starting Vinland Saga for real.

edit: seriously though I am waiting for Thorfinn to have trading and framing adventures in North America.
Slight historical spoilers: in North America... the warfare doesn't stop. Thorfinn is going to fight at least one battle with the Skraelings after a trade deal goes awry.

tala e fonua posted:

Found it. Here's a proper comparison.

Click here for the full 823x1199 image.

Thanks, this will help me study for my Greek Archaeology final... Though there are a few notable differences between this and the remains of the actual Pella. It demonstrates typical Macedonian domestic architecture fairly well, however.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh hey, a bunch of posts! This is more than Farming Saga had been getting in a similar period of time! It must be an awesome chapter!

Oh. :smith:

But that's a pretty odd announcement considering Historie hadn't really gone anywhere. It just skipped a month... so with luck it's just an odd way of saying Vinland Saga won't be out this month... which still sucks, but isn't quite what I first thought when I heard 'haitus.'

Speaking of Historie the latest chapter came out a few days ago. It's criminally short, though... and pretty drat weird too. For anyone who didn't know that man having sex with Alexander's mother is Alexander- or at least his face is taken from an actual mosaic of Alexander found in Pompeii... which is kind of weird. I love the manga dearly... in fact when it was just about Eumenes it was my favorite manga ever, but all this bizarre supernatural dicking around with Alexander... could be gotten out of the way faster.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wait, who's being ironic? This farming interlude is fantastic. It's a whole different perspective on the era really fleshing things out, and the grueling daily struggle for mundane accomplishments makes for a fascinating change of pace.

And while it's not strictly a good thing, there's a certain smug superior kind of schadenfreude to be derived from the boredom of the folks who only follow this manga for the 'he punched a loving horse!' scenes.

It's just as great as a historical manga as it's always been at its heart, just the surface has changed appearance.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zorak posted:

Somehow I get the feeling that Thorfinn is going to hulk out to save those kids, even though they're thieves, and that'll be the thing that gets him moving out of the farm.
Nah. Thorfinn is definitely learning new things, but he's still far too emotionally dead to do something like that out of the blue. You can't just assume he'll act like a Good Person if push comes to shove. He's not just some shonen protagonist in a slump who just needs a touching story to bounce back, he's got incredibly deep emotional wounds that will take more than something superficial to deal with.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I strongly suspect that Einar will die. Nothing less is going to make Thorfinn hulk out at this point. Having his only friend, the man who taught him how to be human again bite it would certainly get the plot moving. The old man is probably also a goner.
Oh god I hope not. :ohdear:
Einar is my favorite character in this whole manga and I hope he sticks at Thorfinn's side as his buddy all the way to Vinland.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

... Well poo poo. :smith:
That's what I like most about Vinland Saga though... It doesn't candy coat history... or even bother to pick the maggots out.

On the bright side there were three pages with Eumenes in the latest Historie. 14 pages for a monthly consisting of two brief scenes... Vinland Saga moves like lightning in comparison.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

After all their hard work... Chopping down the trees, clearing the stumps, Need a Horse Parts One and Two... all for nothing.
:smith: Farming saga can be brutal.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

I will take the opposite bet: Einar becomes the Thorfinn to Thorfinn's Askeladd.
Nah, Einar isn't going to be a warrior or anything like that (if that's what you're implying), but I do think he'll stick around for Thorfinn's continued farming adventures in Vinland.

tsob posted:

I'll thread the happy middle ground and say he survives and he and his wife go on the cruise to America with Thorfinn. They need some people over there to shoot out some babies and stack 'em high like cordwood.
Interesting historical trivia/spoiler: Thorfinn's son is the first recorded person of European decent to be born in the Americas.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Volume posted:

"Revenge will bring nothing good." What a bunch of bull! Just look at what happened when they took revenge out. The comic became a bigger bore then watching some one playing The Sims. Now that revenge is back though shits getting good again. Yay for revenge!
Do you have the slightest inkling of why that punch was so satisfying to everyone else? Do you even begin to get what's going on in this manga at all?

For months and months we've been following the pitiful lives of two slaves, who've been working their hardest on a field of wheat. And we've been there, every painful difficult step of the way, we've been seeing what exactly they have to go through, how they have to sweat to grow their little plot of grain.

If you just hated all that, how are you even mad right now? Are you even mad, or do you just like seeing people punch each other?

This manga isn't, and no matter what you thought never was, about people punching each other. It's Vinland Saga, not Violence Saga. Ultimately it was always going to be about settling new lands, and that's why we're getting to know the Old World so well, both through war, and through slavery.

Of course you're free to enjoy whatever you want, but it's frustrating to see someone completely unable to appreciate what this manga does best.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

It doesn't have it's own thread, so I'm going to post the new chapter of Historie here, and suffer through people coming in to post "i thought there was more farming :smith:"
Well I'm happy at least. Historie has been in its own rather... slow digression about Hephaestion (which I didn't much like), and it looks like it's at least getting back to school life at Mieza, and it might even return focus to Eumenes now!

I really loved that manga before it was months of reaction shots of Alexander without text.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zorak posted:

I am also considering changing the thread title to be a bit more general, since this thread has been from the get go not just Vinland Saga but also "manga about western history" or whatever. So, should the thread be diversified to be just... that, or should it be HISTORICAL MANGAS in general (which would get us Asian history too, which is less unique and possibly historical/ realistic)?

Want to expand the thread at the very least to be about Otoyomegatari, which is fantastic.
I was going to object to expanding the scope too much, as that would end up leaving us open to the millions of samurai manga that exist, but drat if I'm not in love with Otoyomegatari pretty much at first sight. I think we could somehow distinguish manga that are really a good showcase for their unique setting from manga that just put their story in generic historical context, as the feudal setting is so familiar and generic to a Japanese audience.

Also seconding Cesare as a really great historical manga that a new OP could stand to put a spotlight on.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

L.E. Cheetah posted:

I think the TVtropes dudes call it "Technical Pacifism", where its ok to beat a dude within an inch of his life, as long as that inch is still there.
Except his epiphany was in part a result of punching (not killing) that guy last chapter. Still, it's important that he was upset because, "I hit someone, even though hitting him wouldn't solve anything"
I don't know where exactly this is going but it's possible he'll still be violent in self defense, or when it's obviously justified, at least.

I'm not actually sure about this development, even though I loved Farming Saga. Pacifism like this, not motivated by religion, kind of strikes me as one of those feel-good anachronisms that I was so happy didn't exist in this manga of brutal Vikings. Giving a protagonist in a historical context sympathetic modern values that are entirely inappropriate for their culture just so they don't alienate the reader really bothers me, and Vinland Saga was one of the few works that didn't.

Still, I do feel there is plenty of justification for Thorfinn's change in the story, and I am looking forward to future adventures not based on the appeal of superviolence,
so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

So apparently the only way to react to a life of violence is by enjoying it and then perpetually seeking out more violence. No one ever got tired of killing and wanted a peaceful life during that time period. To say otherwise is an anachronism. Sheesh, I love horse punching as much as the next guy, but while Vinland Saga has made violence seem cool, it has never made it seem glorious.
All that sarcasm seems a bit uncalled for. I'm not throwing a fit or anything, I just have reservations. I actually thought horse punching was kind of silly, to be honest.

I'm pretty sure this will push the manga in a much more interesting direction. I'm just a bit uncomfortable about how closely Thorfinn's new ideals are to, well, modern Japanese ones. I love pacifism- heck as a kid idealistic pacifism was my favorite part of things like Gundam Wing and Trigun- but it's sitting a bit uncomfortably for me in this context. You get warrior redemption stories in history quite often, but always associated with a religious epiphany. Thorfinn here seems to have discovered pacifism largely for himself, which is not inconceivable, but seems a little... indulgent, considering a modern Japanese audience. That's all. It really is just a mild reservation for me, not some attempt at a scathing critique hidden in cautious language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Munin posted:

Btw, I take it Otoyomegatari is set in the run up to the Crimean War? All this talk of tensions with the Russains rising makes me presume so.

I find it interesting how little Islam features. I thought that entire area was fairly solidly Muslim.
The Crimean War wasn't the only source of tension between Russia and Britain, there were tensions in Central Asia throughout the 19th Century- both before and after the Crimean War- as the British influence crept up from India and the Russians expanded south into the same area. It was an ongoing kind of regional cold war referred to as the Great Game, and it wasn't really resolved until the early 20th century. The actual point of conflict was more in Afghanistan than Central Asia, which was firmly in the Russian sphere, but there was certainly a simmering British ambition to drive the Russians from the region.

And considering there was a random guy with a bolt action rifle all the way out in the middle of nowhere, it's probably actually well after the Crimean War.

And as for Islam, nomadic people never took Islam as seriously as city people. On the edges of Islamic civilization, it's not something that would really manifest itself as a daily concern.

Edit:

Bro Dad posted:

Can you put Ravages of Time in the OP? Its basically Chinese Vinland Saga so it should be applicable.
Huh. That looks kind of interesting, but it's a Chinese work about Chinese history- extremely well known Romance of the Three Kingdoms period too. That's kind of the same thing as a Japanese samurai manga, in that works about one's own past doesn't really have the cosmopolitan feel a lot of these others do.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 30, 2011