Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007
Hey systematically marginalized groups, stop acting like victims!
A few details annoy me though since it put so much effort into historical facts. Lief wasn't called Leif the Lucky but Leif the Happy (Leif den Lykkelige) and the cause of berserk is still unknowen. The fly agaric mushroom is just one among many theories. Similar to it toadskin and specific bogplants have been mentioned. Also spiritual rituals and booze. The latter might be more likely since produsing berserk far from home on command could be difficult at times otherwise.

Anyway. I better stop now.

Askeladd. RIP you bastard. Went out fighting for the dream even when the glory was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007

Eiba posted:

And personally I never heard the theory that King Arthur was an actual figure... who lived in the 11th century.

But in all fairness it was a name given to him by a women who was on the brink of insanity even if her 'royal' line might justify it politically.

Eiba posted:

And the biggest historical liberty is undoubtedly the fact that in reality King Sweyn died after Thorsfinn (minor history spoilers) led an expedition to Vinland. The ages don't match up at all.

Sure you're not thinking of Erik Thorvaldsson (Erik the Red), Father of Lief? Bah. I'm really bad with the names. Tried to google it but it was a mess.

Anyway. What annoy me about it is that the factor of 'lies hidden in truth' will set in. People who read this comic will years from now start to get the facts confused and I might have to be around and listen to them.

Edit:

Eiba posted:

Think about it, you couldn't exactly have the berserkers themselves unsure of how to go berserk.

Nah. You think about it, that would be really funny. :D

badOrigo fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 28, 2009

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007

Eiba posted:

Anyway, I'm assuming that our Thorfinn is the same as this Thorfinn, and I imagine that our story will eventually encompass these events, which took place around 1010 AD. (It should go without saying that these links might contain significant plot spoilers if he's our Thorfinn.)

In comparison, Sweyn Forkbeard died in 1014.

It's quite possible that the name is a coincidence, but considering what he did and what this manga is called... I'm going to assume the author just fudged the dates a bit so Thorfinn could hang out with Canute and Thorkell and other cool historical people.

Looks like you're right. I must have misspelled his name.

Eiba posted:

Yeah, that kind of thing is pretty annoying, but I'd say it's more the fault of someone who gets their historical knowledge from comic books than it is the author's.

In any case, most people think Vikings wore horned helmets and such- from that baseline any knowledge gained from Vinland Saga is quite a step up.

Can't be helped. Just felt like making the forum aware of it for some reason. I'm really not suggesting sacrificing Vinland Saga for the sake of common education. Let them suffer for the art.