Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonbase
Oct 3, 2007
Another forum member told me about this manga but this thread finally pushed me to start it.

I'll be damned if I didn't just spend 4 hours being completely engrossed with the story. Can't wait to get caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonbase
Oct 3, 2007
Yeah, waiting for new chapters of this is gonna suck. I'm really liking the story and Askeladd's plan in general. The Prince is a character that I think has a lot of promise and I'm warming up to him. Overall, though, my favourite character is Thorkell. Besides the fact that he can sink boats and spear entire ranks from a few hundred yards away, the writers have made great use of his character with all the plot development he provides/the way he provides it.

Moonbase
Oct 3, 2007

telcontar posted:

Yeah, Thorkell is my favorite too. He's always doing something hilarious or badass (or both).

The Prince is obviously Canute the Great. Should be interesting to see how that comes together.

Wow. If Wikipedia is a reliable source, this manga seems to be sticking to the facts quite nicely. Looking up Canute, it lists Thorkell as his teacher in matters soldiery. If nothing else, I'm learning more about this time period than I ever thought I would.

Moonbase
Oct 3, 2007

Forest Fuckery posted:

I'm really torn on this manga.
On the other hand there's the occasionally stupid loljapan stereotype fights, but on the other hand, gently caress YEAH VIKINGS.
And i seriously can't be angry after the horse uppercut scene.

Does anyone else have a feeling that we'll have some kind of a redemption scenario coming up for Thorkell? He was pretty interested with what happened to Thors to make him stop fighting. And all the "what makes a warrior" talk.
Canute finally found his testicles, and seems pretty pissed at all the killing stuff.

And i really, really hope Bjorn survives.
:black101:

I'm fine with the "stupid" fights (I don't think they are, but that's your opinion) because they have been used to explain character motivations/backgrounds. The fights allow for development of the story in a manner that is interesting to read. I don't think I'd really care about Thorfinn's past as much if it wasn't being told while a giant of a man was mercilessly mocking him and beating the living daylights out of him. The story Thorkell tells also has a direct bearing on the fight itself, so in all, I don't view anything about the situation as stupid or "loljapan".

As for Bjorn, I don't think the berserker will be brought down this early or that easily.