Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Forest Fuckery posted:

VVV wait what where

It wasn't the talk about his father, it was the king implying that his mother was a slave. I don't recall the specific details, but it was back when they were arranging secret passage for the prince and he mentioned who his parents were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah, if you told someone that a character in a work of historical fiction is the descendant of King Arthur and his name is basically the male version of Cinderella, they probably wouldn't expect someone like Askeladd.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sellanraa Six posted:

FATHER FROST!!! :argh:
Pretty sure that was actually the guys earlier in the chapter who trampled their wheat or something, the stalks are actually broken.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Eiba posted:

I'm not actually sure about this development, even though I loved Farming Saga. Pacifism like this, not motivated by religion, kind of strikes me as one of those feel-good anachronisms that I was so happy didn't exist in this manga of brutal Vikings. Giving a protagonist in a historical context sympathetic modern values that are entirely inappropriate for their culture just so they don't alienate the reader really bothers me, and Vinland Saga was one of the few works that didn't.
It's not necessarily anachronistic, I mean we've really only seen two characters who believe in pacifism and Thorfinn can't exactly lead a life killing and pillaging in Vinnland. It's sort of like atheists during various periods of history, they were rare, but it's not exactly some sort of formalized belief system that people couldn't come up with on their own.