Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
New chapter out!

Looks like this farming arc could take a whiiiiiile. Potential love interest for Thorfinn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
If you don't plan to already, then it would be tip top if you were to include Cesare. It's about a naive university student in Renaissance Italy who runs in the same circle as Cesare Borgia and comes to be friends with him amongst Cesare's PLOTTING and INTRIGUE. It's fantastic.

edit:

Oh and here is a good Vinland Saga image:

Here is a bigger version if you want.

If you use that, you might wanna rehost it. Waffleimages was being a dick.

edit again:
By the way, for anyone who just discovered Otoyomegatari, consider reading Emma. Same author and also pretty great.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 25, 2011

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
It doesn't fit the definitions of this thread, but Vagabond is also kind of close. You've probably already read that, though.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Here are some Cesare pictures. I dunnnoooooooooo if they are good.

As for other manga... There is Joan, which I read a loooooong time ago and now I can't find a good version of online, but I think it fits in. It's the story of this girl who sort of relives the journey or Joan of Arc ten years after the fact. Memory is a bit hazy. I think the same guy also made a manga about Jesus, but I can't find that, either. :(

The only other things I can think of don't really seem to match in tone. Like The Ravages of Time, or The Rose of Versailles. There's like a billion god drat things if you start including three kingdoms stuff and shojo, but most of it is kind of bad. (those two are ok)

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 2, 2011

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Nope, it's just called Joan. It's by Yasuhiko Yoshikazu, the guy who made Dirty Pair. It's only three volumes and its fullcolour. The only version I can find online has the worrrrrrst scans everrrrrrrrrrr.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 3, 2011

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
As someone who has been up to date with it for years I will confirm that yes, it's loving torturously slow. Particularly the current arc.

I think the only reason we don't discuss it in here is because it's based on Japanese history, which is precisely the history that this thread isn't about.

I absolutely agree that it's Inoue's masterpiece, though. And he already HAS a masterpiece in Slam Dunk.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I can really recommend buying a hard copy of Vagabond, by the way. The translation is much better than what you'll find online, making all the philosophising MUCH easier to follow. The VIZ Big editions are good value and have really cool spine art. The cover art is a bit lovely, but at least they'll look great on your bookshelf. The spines combine!

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Chapter 96 is out, and it's a doozy.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Considering all of her prior works, I don't think she has much experience with action scenes, unfortunately. I still really enjoyed the chapter, but I agree that it's far from her best. I don't think it's particularly bad, though.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Wow, not the stance I expected someone with that user title to take.

[edit]

I guess the point being made is that adulthood is a partially socially constructed concept that has varied throughout the ages. No one is defending children being married, or proposing that we lower the age of consent or emulate the things in this manga or whatever the heck, nor is any of that suggested by the manga itself.

Anyway, the age difference between Karluk and Amir is presented as being a barrier in their relationship, and definitely a negative thing, and while the two characters seem to accept their situation, I don't think Mori is trying to portray it as ideal or desirable at all.

There is a lot of creepy loving poo poo in this subforum and more power to you as far as calling that stuff out goes, but I am pretty sure you could find a better example with your eyes closed.

VVVV

yeah what these guys said

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 28, 2014

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
That's nobody's business but the Turks'.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
There are some really pretty pages involving The Crystal Palace.

The pacing is similar to A Bride's Story, but it jumps between characters far less.

The art improves drastically over time, though it's not bad in the first place.

Mori's definitely put a lot of research in, but there are still certain things that don't ring true to history every now and then. I feel like it doesn't quite hold up to A Bride's Story on that front, but that might just be because I'm a lot more familiar with Victorian London than central Asia during the same period.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I’m enjoying Issak, too, but it definitely has its flaws. The characterisation of Issak (obsession with honour, avenging his master etc) is pretty inaccurate, too. There’s a really good article about how the myth of bushido was formed (PR to make Japan seem more compliant with Christian/western ideals, which was then adopted as “the truth” by the jingositic government) and it’s consequences (fascism!) here: https://www.tofugu.com/japan/bushido/

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Sharkopath posted:

Honor and Loyalty are not sentiments invented whole cloth by revisionist proto-fascists, they are virtues present in almost all cultures through all time and like all virtues are not universally followed or adhered to, serving as cultural ideals and instructive examples that are strived for. Some of the most dramatic moments of the sengoku were decided by actors who were torn between several cultural loyalties at the same time, the clans obligations vs your family for instance.

Suggesting a character is anachronistic because they are defined by obligation and loyalty, exceptionally human driving forces, is hella lol.

I think that dude is not denying that these concepts were part of Japanese culture, but more that there’s a mythologised/idealised mix of traits that are definitely revisionism, along with more indisputable stuff like the archery/swords thing. I’m definitely not well-read enough to say whether his motive (revenge) and his statements about it (ideas about debt/vengeance/honour) are accurate representations of 17th century Japanese attitudes, but he does feel kind of tropey. One-dimensional? A kind of boring embodiment of loyalty? And some of the other characters not understanding his motive is really jarring to me. A blood debt is just not that complicated or unique a concept. That said, I guess the merc captain not getting it might be more a characterisation of him not understanding loyalty, which is reasonable for a merc.

I’m definitely enjoying it, though. And we’re like two chapters in, so maybe he’ll get some character development that takes him beyond being Inigo Montoya the blacksmith.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 4, 2018