Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally, a new chapter!

It seems promising, looking forward to seeing how the story progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shamwow posted:

New chapter out!

Looks like this farming arc could take a whiiiiiile. Potential love interest for Thorfinn?

Given how dark and grim Vinland Saga is, she'll probably fall in love with Thorfinn and then shortly later be raped & murdered by raiders or the freed slaves, which will spark a thirst for revenge in Thorfinn and revive his fighting spirit.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
EDIT: Quote is not edit.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nubian Robodin posted:

I waited two months for Viking murder and all I got was farming manga.

You just wait, it will slowly evolve into Harvest Moon - The Manga (Viking Edition).

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meningism posted:

Sowing the fields with salt and choosing one of the local girls to rape?

And destroying houses instead of building them.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hell yeah. Awesome chapter.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 60.

http://www.onemanga.com/Vinland_Saga/60/01/

Oh god this better not turn into a yaoi series.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 22, 2009

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress yeah, Canute is awesome.

EDIT: Out on Onemanga.

http://www.onemanga.com/Vinland_Saga/62/01/

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 22, 2010

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

bondster posted:

Chapter 63

Watch the thrilling slave adventures as they try and acquire a horse :suicide:

That was quite an... interesting transition from Chapter 62. I will say no more.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was a great chapter. So calming and soothing. The horse's expression on the first panel here is just hilarious - http://www.onemanga.com/Vinland_Saga/64/12/.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tala e fonua posted:

Makes me surprised that anyone can do a weekly chapter with the kind of detail in Vinland Saga, even with assistants

Vinland Saga is a monthly and not a weekly, though.

Not that it in any way diminishes the mangaka and his assistants' achievements, of course.

Just give me more Farmville Saga already, drat it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

I sort of hope that the next 10 chapters are also entitled "Need a Horse". They will be probably still be about Thorfinn getting hosed by life.

They already have the horse.

Next chapter is going to be "Need a Plow".

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man Dancer posted:

Hate to bump with no update, but today's AICN Anime column is claiming that Vinland Saga is going on hiatus and being replaced with the returning Historie.

Did the mangaka discover Idolmaster too? :ohdear:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guyver posted:

Well, we'll know at the end of the month if it's just a break or if interest is waning because volume nine is coming out on the 23rd and will be nothing but farming chapters.

It'd be awesome / hilarious if it's farming from now on all the way till the very last chapter.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JerseyMonkey posted:

FARMLAND: http://hox.fluffypress.com/archives/1395

Farmland Moe is the best moe. :3:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eiba posted:

Wait, who's being ironic? This farming interlude is fantastic. It's a whole different perspective on the era really fleshing things out, and the grueling daily struggle for mundane accomplishments makes for a fascinating change of pace.

It's just as great as a historical manga as it's always been at its heart, just the surface has changed appearance.

Seconded. I unironically love the farming chapters and I wouldn't mind if the foreshadowing of an attack on the farm by an organised army / bandit force turned out to be a red herring.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

Nuh-uh, the best part was the faces Einar made while chatting with slave girl and after she left. The little spin and the goofy faces make the chapter, though the fistbump and praying were hilarious too.

I really hope Einar comes along on the voyage to the Americas after he becomes a free man. I really hope he brings his wife too, because even the bitchy mother seems in favor of them getting hitched which seems to set the marriage in stone barring her being killed. Please don't let slave girl die :ohdear:

Her inevitable death will be the spark that sets Einar down the path of stone-cold warrior bad-assness and spur him to follow Thorfinn to the Americas.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Emo Rodeo posted:

Whats this? Oh it's just the latest installment of Farms and Fields:

http://mangastream.com/read/vinland_saga/92780160/1

Oh yes, oh gently caress yes. Violence returns to one of the best series ever

YESSSSSS.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't like hyperbole, but that was probably the best chapter subtitle in ALL OF RECORDED HISTORY

Yeah, the chapter subtitle (and the first two pages) had me laughing for a good five minutes.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rakugoon posted:

Thorfinn converts to Christianity and joins a monastery. He and Einar spend the rest of their lives doing housechores and observing vows of silence.

The Manga lasts 500 chapters.

Given the way Farmville Saga has turned out, I'd read every chapter of Monastery Saga with relish and anticipation. It'd be the best slice of life manga set in a religious institution ever.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zorak posted:

Want to expand the thread at the very least to be about Otoyomegatari, which is fantastic.

Thanks Zorak. It is indeed fantastic.

EDIT: The level of detail in the art is absolutely astounding. Great story-telling too. Just... beautiful.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 25, 2011

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sellanraa Six posted:

Otoyomegatari was so relaxing to read. Going to have to start following that too.

God, why can't I get introduced to a COMPLETED, amazing monthly manga for once? :smith:

Never thought I'd be totally engrossed in a chapter about embroidery.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pacifist Saga is the best Saga.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc Hawkins posted:

Also, because reversals and paradoxes in expected power dynamics can be dramatic, interesting, and comedic, by turns. depending on the tone adopted by a competent author. He's the man of the house...but he's only a kid! She's uncertain in her new home...but she has a hundred amazing talents!

He's only a kid... But he laid a righteous smack-down on an adult warrior!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jsun posted:

Latest chapter of Otoyomegatari is out. http://somemangas.com/manga/Otoyome_gatari/16/

drat it. I just had dinner and I'm hungry again.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apotheosis posted:

Just started reading Vinland Saga. So far ('bout halfway through Ch.1? The kid and Hordaland have just met) it seems like the standard seinen "go on globe-trekking quest for vengeance" plotline, just with a crispy crunchy Viking exterior. But I like Vikings and Norse mythos, so I'll keep on it. Pretty badass imagery, too. Goes down great with some Tyr or Amon Amarth in the background.

If you are finding it badss now, I can't wait for your reaction when you get to the current arc. Absolutely stunning action scenes, and visceral, brutal violence to wheat far exceeding the early chapters when the mangaka was just finding his feet.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah, unless he plans to play with it a little to subvert the trope, that guy is fuckin dead. Not to mention, the old man and the master are both going to be gone it looks like, so maybe a less kind slave owner will take over..?

The master's cruel elder son who just came back from the war, most likely. The one who wanted to cut off the kid's arm for stealing food from their farm.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yup, the new guy is awesome.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I fear for any character in this story who talks about being happy and isn't also busy killing things. Especially if there is an unstable guy with a sword introduced at the same time.

That has to include Thorfinn and Einar as well, you realise. They too were smiling and laughing throughout this chapter. But I agree with you that Arneis is the one most likely to end up dead by the end of the arc.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Pebbler posted:

As much as I love farm saga, I'm getting really anxious for some rear end kicking.

I'm sure there are plenty of asses on the farm for them to kick, together with other common farm animals like horses, sheep and cows.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 19 was amazing.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Munin posted:

I like farming saga but I like Canute's scheming as well.

Seriouspost - I hope these two are combined and we get an arc on Canute organising / reforming Denmark and England's agricultural systems.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Whoops I did a thing (Otoyome chap 20)
I'm not real proud, this one's quick and dirty, but hopefully it's readable. Anyone who feels like it can try and touch it up.

Thanks very much!

Pierson posted:

edit; Hahaha that was loving great.

Indeed! The twins are amazing.

EDIT: Everyone's amazing. What a fantastic chapter.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 9, 2011

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, Thorgill. :aaa:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

poo poo is about to get so real. :suspense:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
:drat: I really hope Snake fights Thorfinn at some point in the future.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was utterly adorable. :3:

ANIME AKBAR posted:

LAMB & RICE

But this was the best part.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc Hawkins posted:

OH gently caress

(new Vinland Saga)

I think we all kind of expected that, but still. Holy poo poo. That was METAL AS gently caress.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

:suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

furiouskoala posted:

So what do you guys think will happen with this escape? I am guessing they will manage to work it out without killing anyone, then Knut's men will show up and wreck everybody's poo poo!

I think the arrival of Canute's soldiers will force Snake to withdraw from his fight with Thorfinn, giving Thorfinn the chance to escape from the farm.