Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Is Otoyomegatari still being scanned? The latest chapter I can find is 17. Though of course, seeing as I know nothing of the publishing schedule that could easily just be because that IS the latest chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Otoyomegatari 19 was a good chapter but I'm still depressed over Smith's storyline all the same.

Vinland Saga is good, news at 11.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rakugoon posted:

Oh yeah the Canute sections are the best by far I gotta say. Especially now that they've developed a bit of a cast beyond Canute/his dad's head.

Honestly I found the latter character to be by far the goofiest thing the series has ever put forth.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's been awhile since we got a death flag for Einar, I was wondering what was taking so long.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And as always it's over in an instant. Why is this a monthly manga :smith:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

GodFish posted:

New Vinland Saga Chapter Out
This chapter seems like mostly setup, but boy is poo poo going to go down soon.

You know I understand what the author is trying to do with the disembodied head but by god every time it shows up it just makes me laugh, it's way too goofy looking.

Huh, can't say I expected Not-Russia to be involved.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 28, 2012

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

More like Not-Austria. Basically we have Not-Prussia and Not-Austria fighting over Not-Bavaria.

Oh yes that makes sense. I went for Russia since that's where my mind goes when I think of European Empresses, but that works much better.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That entire arc was way too cute.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As far as we've come, I refuse to believe Yukimura would waste our time like that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

How can a manga so adorable be so :smith:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've started reading Vagabond. I actually didn't know what it was about besides "samurai doing samurai things" at first, so the revelation of who the MC is actually surprised me since I don't know anything about the historical figures besides his fight with Kojriou. Though of course it's still historical FICTION since Kojirou's identity in this contradicts what little I DO know about the situation. Anyway, it's pretty loving good so far! I don't like it as much as say, Vinland Saga or Otoyomegatari due to simple genre preferences but I can't say I'm not hooked. Still only 57 chapters in, but the art's been consistently awesome and the writing is all that cool Kurosawa style samurai poo poo that's always interesting to see.

e: holy poo poo

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 10, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So as of this post I'm at chapter 252 of Vagabond, and am rapidly finding myself putting it on par with Vinland Saga for historical action. I'd still say the latter edges out, but again that might be purely a genre thing (i.e. I think Vikings are cooler than samurai). Inoue is clearly the superior artist (not that Yukimura isn't excellent, Inoue is just that good). Which has stronger writing is up for debate but whatever. Inoue's handled the characters very well. I think my favorite is his portrayal of Kojiro, who somehow comes out incredibly interesting even though the entire story is literally building up to him getting beaten with a loving paddle. One thing I will say though is that while it reads great in a continuous fashion (which is all that matters historically), I can see parts of it being absolutely torturous if you follow the weekly scans like the 70 man Yoshioka slaughter that goes on for chapter after chapter with not much in the way of interesting dialogue.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well I'm all caught up with Vagabond now... and my Vinland Saga comparisons become rather hilarious in hindsight what with the farming and all.

I do think that stylistically they aren't all that comparable when you get down to it, but thematically they seem to, interestingly, come to draw from much the same well. Both Thorfinn and Musashi spend so long consumed by nothing but violence, aiming for a goal the story itself constantly mocks (vengeance/becoming the strongest), are forced to stop and consider the point of it all as a result of some shocking event (Askellad's death/the Yoshioka fight and fallout thereof, and take up a more sedentary existence where they are forced to consider the value of life... in both cases from agriculture. There are of course differences, since their goals are so different (although Vagabond certainly has a fair bit to say about vengeance, its not Musashi who seeks it) and of course their temporary change in lifestyle is taken under different circumstances (Thorfinn is put there in bondage, while Musashi chooses it as an attempt at self-refleciton).

My original comparison was just because they were both historical fiction/action series, but I do think the comparison is rather interesting.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I can really recommend buying a hard copy of Vagabond, by the way. The translation is much better than what you'll find online, making all the philosophising MUCH easier to follow.
Would that I could afford to actually buy all cool the anime and manga I've seen online over the years.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 20, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Let's learn about horses with Otoyomegatari: Chapter 29 Read Online / DDL

This chapter of Otoyomegatari brought to you buy the covers of every Harlequin romance novel ever.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Goddamn, this chapter. What the hell could Thorfinn possibly do at this point, except maybe meet up with Canute again briefly?

I'd like to see that actually.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Speaking of Baltzar, I started reading Stratocracy of Altair recently, and they are pretty similar, although with the Ottoman Empire instead of Germany. It's a really cool manga too, and I recommend people to read it!

I like this a lot, though it's not quite as good as Baltzar because it's even further divorced from history (Spiritism based on the Chinese elements, what the gently caress) but as an original narrative it's cool.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah google's not helping out here.

V
oh right, Hox. To /a/ then!

e2: Oh god it's beautiful, Canute, savior of the viking hordes, and Lucifer-In-Training

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 27, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man, looking at this reminds me how much I miss Askeladd. He was such an rear end in a top hat, it was great.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New Vinland chapter is out, Hox threw it up on /a/ as usual.

"Next time, Thorfinn finally gets on the loving boat." I love you too Hox.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They're going to get to Iceland to find everyone dead, I just know it :negative:

This was a pretty cool chapter though.

Eiba posted:

Nah. I mean, I haven't heard anything, but it's barely beginning if the name "Vinland Saga" is to be believed. This is probably the end of Canute's story though. Very much wrapping up the last arc before moving on.
I dunno, I could see the stories running in parallel. Thorfinn tramps around Vinland while Canute increases his power.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"WAIT, HOW OLD AM I NOW?"

I love this manga.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

It's very very good. I'm both proud and loving sad I started it when it had like 3 chapters out cuz gently caress it'd be nice to have a monsterous complete series to read instead of chapter by chapter for 5 + years

I recently found the first volume at the library (hardcover, it's really nice), because apparently VS actually got licensed at some point, and read a bit of that. MAN you forget after years and years of serialization how some of that early stuff really comes around, like how the whole "a true warrior needs no swords" thing was something Thors said.

Or this little gem.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh Snapalope posted:

Also would anyone suggest Wolfsmund?

Reading Wolfsmund is technically possible, but highly inadvisable.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not that I've read it myself, but isn't Joe sort of hurt by everyone and their dog knowing its ending (because it seems like that's the only part that's ever talked about)?

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 9, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mori's author's commentary sections in Bride's Story are hilarious. "CARPETS, CARPETS, AND MORE CARPETS!"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I still miss Thorkell though. Actually I miss all those horrible monsters from part 1 if I'm being honest but Thorkell most of all.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That'll have to wait for the spinoff.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

10/10 Baltzar, you're fantastic.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So here's a question: Vinland Saga is no stranger to ditching historical fact in its narrative, how do ya'll want this to end? Do you demand that Thorfinn's dreams come to nothing and he be forced to flee back to Iceland, or would you be okay if Yukimura decided to actually make the Vinland colony successful? Also, do you want to continue getting checkups on Canute and company back in Europe?

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 26, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Watermelons. What manga is this again?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

To be fair this is the same series in which one of the first chapters was just a boy watching an old man make a door. It's always been weird.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gyre posted:

It's pretty obvious that the watermelons are a metaphor for lesbian sex. Anis and Shirin are obviously attracted to each other, but they can't express it explicitly because they probably have no idea that what they're feeling even constitutes attraction.
Oh the metaphor was not subtle in any fashion, it just feels like it's from a different series.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

trucutru posted:

Basically, it has gone from "Wives being virgins back then was a big deal" to "Waifus being virgins right now is a big deal". Which I find pretty drat silly.

I sincerely doubt this would be the motive for a writer of Yukimura's quality.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zorak posted:

I've never actually read Emma despite digging Bride's Story a lot; is it worth picking up? I do love me some hardcovers...

Do you enjoy cross-class romances between commoners and the genteel in Victorian England? Because Emma is pretty much a standard example of that by design with really pretty art etc. It's enjoyable but you won't be terribly surprised by anything.

It's basically the straight version of Johnathan and Speedwagon's relationship really.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alder posted:

I got bored of the anime but the manga series itself is entertaining. It's a calming SoL vs say FMA where everyone is trying to kill everyone else.

I dropped it early on because it wasn't as funny as FMA even though FMA features genocide as a central theme. Does it get better?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This arc lacks both comedy and drama. Please break Mr Smith's heart again or something.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blhue posted:

We're probably gonna have drama next time given things I vaguely remember about old Indian customs regarding what happens to widowed women.

Aren't we in Persia right now?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Thorfinn's face when Leif goes "I'm a dad what are babies rah rah rah" is also great

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 25, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A Communist Greater German Solution holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Just started reading Historie and Uh...

Hesphaeston huh... :psyduck: