Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
S2 of the anime is really good, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

I really like the change from the manga that Einar actually does try to kill Thorfinn instead of immediately thinking better of it, and has his calling Thorfinn his friend delayed a bit until after they've worked together a longer. I think it sells their respective traumas a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/DanKantori/status/1620469838866173952

Seriously the anime is good.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think Einar actually does.

The whole sequence where Einar straddles Thorfinn while he's sleeping and briefly tries to choke him to death is anime original. Likewise the part where he sounds off on Thorfinn as selfish for saying nothing good has ever happened in his life when he's alive and Einar's family is dead doesn't happen in the manga: there he just wakes Thorfinn up after the nightmare and then when Thorfinn asks why says it's because they're friends. A declaration which was also moved to the last scene of the most recent anime episode, where I think it fits better since it comes after Einar has spent months working alongside Thorfinn. As Lt. Lizard said all this along with the increased focus on Einar's backstory I think makes him a much stronger character than he is in the manga, and also fits in better with the overarching story themes that healing and change are possible even after experiencing the absolute lowest of possible lows.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 15, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you haven't seen it yet they brought back Survive Said the Prophet to do S2 OP 2 and it's an absolute goddamn banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkTj2Hk6nEc

Aoi posted:

So, chapter 200 of Vinland Saga has been out for about a week.

Things are coming to a head, and it's not looking good (in-setting, the manga looks amazing). Apparently Yukimura has been glued to his writing desk, and that's why it's taking so long, as he's trying *really hard* to get it right.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/9bd64c40-057a-467d-aec2-b422e78ad8a5

I'm very curious to see how Yukimura approaches the ending. Considering his personal views on violence I can't imagine he's going to go with a totally downer ending about conflict being unavoidable, but unless he plans to completely veer away from the Sagas this story is going to end with Thorfinn ultimately failing and having to go back to Iceland with his tail between his legs, and then dying shortly after. I certainly don't envy having to navigate such a tricky narrative situation.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eiba posted:

He's quite neatly given us a 2nd Thorfinn who can go back to Iceland and get mistaken in the historical record for the leader of the expedition. Though even that ending is tragic as Thorfinn 2.0 is a good translator and has a good relationship with the natives.

On the one hand that would be kind of a neat way to do it and also a nice callback to the whole Ketil situation, but also yeah that's a lovely ending for Bug Eyes who's a good boy, and it's still not super clean because in the Sagas Gudrid and Snorri go back to Iceland with him and Snorri goes on to be kinda important to Iceland's early medieval history.

I don't think we're getting full on alt-history, but I do expect the vagueness of the Sagas to be taken advantage of to make the landing of the ultimate fate of the settlement a bit softer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's been fan speculation for awhile but the most recent episode of the anime confirms that Snake is a former member of the Varangian Guard.

Also man, the expanded scenes with Gardar are absolutely heartbreaking. This season of the anime has done a phenomenal job of balancing delivering the audience compelling action while also ruminating on how abhorrent war and the consequences of systemic violence truly are.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I am kind of sad that they seemingly skipped over Einar and Thorfinn's vow to build Vinland as a land of peace in Arnheid's memory over her grave, but maybe they're just moving it back towards the end of the season for dramatic effect. And I did like the anime original stuff they added in its place at the end of the episode, particularly Thorfinn echoing some of Canute's past ruminations on God's attitude to human suffering before deciding to go meet with him. Also just the absolute flex of "Canute only brought a hundred guys, no matter how this goes down I should be fine." :allears:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 24, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin posted:

I am kind of sad that they seemingly skipped over Einar and Thorfinn's vow to build Vinland as a land of peace in Arnheid's memory over her grave, but maybe they're just moving it back towards the end of the season for dramatic effect.

Aaaand that's exactly what happened. Fair enough :toot:

Still one more episode left despite this one wrapping up the farm arc, so it looks like we might be getting at least the very start of the return to Iceland which I think would be a nice touch and an uplifting way to end the second season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Season 2 ends exactly at the end of chapter 100, so chapter 101.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arc Hammer posted:

While he might not have been forced into it it doesn't seem like a decision that will go over easily with everyone. You cross the ocean to settle a new land and then the one who led you says its time to leave. You lead several war bands to drive off the Nords only for them to voluntarily withdraw. The challenge I can see coming from this is the momentum of either side's motivations for stayong/fighting being a lot to overcome without bloodshed.

Yep even Einar, who I don't think has disagreed with Thorfinn over anything even remotely significant since the end of the farm arc, had the initial reaction of no I'm not just giving up my whole new life here I've spent all this time and effort to establish. The Lnu warrior also pointed out that they've just pulled a ton of warriors together promising a big battle, and it's not easy to just turn all those boys around and send them home after whipping them into a frenzy. There's going to be a lot of resistance from both sides and I think it would take a minor miracle for everybody to actually get to the end of Spring and have everybody evacuate without any blood getting spilled.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This all kinda feels like the last nail in the coffin for Thorfinn's desire to avoid an open conflict. Even if the Lnu raiders get driven off the settlers are going to be pissed enough about the unprovoked attack that they'll want revenge. :(

It also definitely feels like we're barrelling towards a Einar disavowing Thorfinn's pacifism and siding with the war faction.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I see it as less sneering colonist and more ignorant idealism on Thorfinn's part. He wanted to flee the systems of power and violence that defined his society and all other societies he knew of, and clung to Leif's flowery descriptions of Vinland as a new world where he could "start fresh" so to speak, without having to tackle the baggage of systems of like war, slavery, and state-sanctioned violence. Yeah he probably could have just stuck around in Iceland and tried to eradicate war and slavery there, but then you're always living in fear that one day a couple viking ships roll up and burn it all down unless you disavow non-violence and pick up a sword to fight back. In Thorfinn's mind, Vinland was far enough away that he could escape that possibility.

As for his preconceptions of the natives, again it just comes of more as naive that he assumed all he had to do was approach them non-violently and they in turn would reciprocate. Also critically, when the Lnu indicate they're not going to be willing to peacefully co-exist with the Norse, Thorfinn's response is not to try and force his views and ideals on the Lnu, but rather to go "okay fine we'll leave then" and pack it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ivar kicked off a lot of the initial animosity by cutting off the Lnu shaman's arm, and now a Lnu warrior cut his arm off, with the very same sword.