Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I started a rewatch of Vinland Saga now that Season 2 is over. Needed a refresh of everything before I dive into it. Once I get to the end of Season 2, what chapter would I be looking at to pick up the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perfect, thanks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm just about at the halfway point of season 2 and oh man that reunion with Askeladd was wonderful. For all the hatred that prick had within him, he's still looking out for Thorfinn I was actually tearing up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eiba posted:

I have to say, this wasn't how I saw this going down. From everything we've seen of Thorfinn, just leaving is the path he'd take, but I'd always assumed they'd be forced into that situation rather than Thorfinn seeing the writing on the walls and just giving up preemptively.

It's really sad that even just giving up is something Thorfinn is likely going to have to overcome a lot of challenges to accomplish.

While he might not have been forced into it it doesn't seem like a decision that will go over easily with everyone. You cross the ocean to settle a new land and then the one who led you says its time to leave. You lead several war bands to drive off the Nords only for them to voluntarily withdraw. The challenge I can see coming from this is the momentum of either side's motivations for staying/fighting being a lot to overcome without bloodshed.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 28, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am curious to see how the story will play with history and if it'll decide to give a firm reason why the Norse never returned to Vinland after they abandoned their first settlement. There's plenty of likely reasons and disease and climate are the big ones but because we don't know the specifics it gives the manga a chance to write up its own equally plausible reason that once Thorfinn and crew leave, it's a permanent end for settlement efforts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Well that escalated much quicker than expected.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1726218982951125354?t=wrShoy064ZQswTGXbPUbnQ&s=19

Interesting, another addition to the cottage industry of contemporary viking revenge tales. When do we get the crossover with Vinland Saga and The Northman?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress... Cordelia

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean that's kinda true to history though. It ultimately failed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I went back and finished season 2 of Vinland Saga. I was binging hard months ago but once it got to the Gardar episodes everything just kinda grinds to a halt losing the momentum that was built up. Thankfully once Ketil and Leif made it back to the farm and their story linked back to Thorfinn and company it got much better. The last two episodes of the show were particularly great, and if they never get back to do a Season 3 while Mappa burns itself to the ground overworking its staff its as good a place to end as someone could ask for. Some much needed funny moments after the emotional hammer and anvil of the season. Just... kind of perfect closure.

I still think I like Season 1 better overall. It certainly moves quicker whereas Season 2 can be slow and contemplative to a fault, especially with those Gardar episodes. But aside from the pacing and the general stiffness of some of the animation compared to Season 1 it still delivered with the complex character, performances and the truly unpleasant/downright horrific portrayal of violence and its consequences. It's a rare anime to be this brutal and not indulge in the carnage but to instead lay it bare and make you sick.

If only crunchyroll's player wasn't so garbage and they actually subtitled untranslated text on their dubbed episodes. You either get full closed captioning on the subbed episodes or you get nothing at all on the dub track.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know but I was sticking with CR since I think the Sentai/CR dub cast is generally a lot stronger than the Netflix cast. David Wald just oozes as Askeladd in a way Kirk Thornton doesn't. Kirk is still great but he's more gruff than charismatic, imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Vinland Saga Chapter

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Big Knife

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most people aren't built for war sorry to say.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not that relevant to the current chapters but I really like that Bug Eyes is an actual character and not just a joke that Leif found the wrong lookalike to Thorfinn

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1779132189537443933?t=2b4DeAN3ujpaSdEPDnGZWg&s=19

Not far now. But what the end will look like only history knows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe not quite missing all those vital organs if you've got a punctured lung, Thorfinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think in Thorfinn's case it will be the next step upon realizing that he cannot run from human conflict, even to a supposed Promised Land like Vinland. Christianity isn't necessarily shown to be the solution to the world's problems, but it offers an avenue for personal salvation and peace of mind that Thorfinn's philosophy can't provide so long as human conflict exists.