Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nubian Robodin posted:

This is true but who is he going to rely on for advice, Thorkell?

Nah, now Thorfinn has to come up with a brilliant strategy for Canute in order to get a duel with the man who killed the man who killed his father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eiba posted:

And personally I never heard the theory that King Arthur was an actual figure... who lived in the 11th century.

He wasn't a figure of the 11th century, that's when the story is happening now. However there are several possible Arthurs, most likely all of whom were amalgamated into the Arthur of legend. The Arturos mentioned by Askeladd's mother is one of the possible candidates.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't know whether to feel more sorry for Thorfinn or the guards on that ending. I mean, he apparently had suppressed the memory of his years of adventure, or something. And them actually swinging at him isn't going to do anything but ignite the most horrific PTSD episode in history.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just assumed it was supposed to show how smitten he was with the girl, the ol' say the wrong name/thing to the hot girl gag.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JerseyMonkey posted:

So, I went to reread some of the old chapters because that old man looks familiar. God drat is this series awesome, I loving love the old chapters. We need to get off this farm and back to the madness.

It's going to be hilarious when it turns out all the fighting took place in the prologue. From here on out it's just farming, followed by sailing, followed by some more farming.

Thrill as Thorfinn learns the advantages of rotating crops. Laugh as the sailors refuse to lend Einar a sextant. Cry as corn smut(no really, its an actual disease) ravages the Vineland crops.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nerdz posted:

i dont think even yokohama kaidashi kikko managed to make such an anticlimactic last page.

Someone doesn't get the inate suspense of ancient seed sowing, nor the implicit biblical allegory.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Luke Johnson posted:

The best part of this chapter was the fistbump near the end and I will punch the horse of whoever disagrees. :colbert:

I have no horse for you to punch, but you are incorect. The best part was that the fist bump made a star sound.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brannock posted:

I think some of you are reading this manga for the wrong reasons. It isn't a shonen battling manga, we're going to see an actual plot and development.

Given the whole prologue thing, it's not exactly like anyone waiting for farmstory to turn back into warstory got that idea from nowhere. Besides, it has to turn into an exploration thing at some point.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MoaM posted:

He should've at least played a more effective diplomat, y'know, rather than just half-assedly telling Einar to "stop". Granted he's obviously matured/developped -- as said above -- but the reference to the crevice in Chapter 68 has me thinking he has learn something more important than pacifism.

I think the vision of his father is the key to the lesson. Remember that his father became a peaceful man, but when needed he was fully prepared to go sickhouse on some bitches. Thorffin is learning the balance between his past of violence and his recent phase of passiveness.

Out of curiosity, who was the woman he saw? I know I should know her, but I can't remember for some reason.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zorak posted:

I'm guessing the key issue here going out is that Canute is vastly underestimating his opponents. He's sending a 104 men, including Jomsvikings which are loving tough, true, but all it needs is a certain tall rear end viking who likes murdering people as much as Thorgill to show up and decide he likes Thorgill for everything to get craaazy.

Given their destination, it doesn't even need that. Thorffin gets to have his new found pacifism tested. Will he be able to bluff/run his way out of the fight, or will the appearance of Lief at the battleground increase the number of people he'd be willing to go nuts to protect sufficiently to cause him to fight?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 26, 2011

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brannock posted:

She's not gonna do it is she :smith:

I feel like horrible things are in store for us. Horrible, terrible things. Poor Enir.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mo_Steel posted:

Cruelty is a word that is too kind. Waiting for the next chapter after this one ended with Thorfinn deciding to fight Snake despite his desire to be peaceful is an appalling concept.

Going to echo the love for Askeladd though. :buddy:

I disagree. In the ultraviolent world that Thorfinn lives in his original pacifism epiphany doesn't really work. However his new synthesis of ideas, as aided by the ghost of Askeladd, retains his desire to not fight while acknowledging that when a dude with a sword wants to do something you think is wrong there's not much other option. Further he's not fighting to kill Snake, but rather fighting to temporarily incapacitate him.

As long as he retains his reluctance to fight, and when forced to do so utilizes the least violence and damage necessary to get away, this is a good balance between his training and his desire for peace. Especially given the idea that he's leaving this violent world behind when he finally goes to Vinland.

They also did a good job of building Snake up just with his internal dialogue. We knew he was pretty good, but determining what weapons Thorfinn is most comfortable with after just one pass is a nice little addition to the implied legend of Snake. It's too bad that I don't think things will end well for Snake.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Guess I'm the odd one out for not caring about that psychotic son of a bitch at all. Nothing but trouble that guy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zorak posted:

What is especially horrifying about this situation is that if they don't flee, if they stick around, even if they don't fight, chances are they'll all be killed. Even Arneis. Just because Canute is cognizant of the horrors of the world doesn't mean he is definitively isn't willing to absolutely be a complete beast. I expect he aims to kill everyone present at the farm to cover up what he's done. Every single one.

I do like how Yukimura had Thorfinn come to a pacifistic epiphany only to have the story force him to question that as well. Now it's exploring the morality of non-violence, and whether it's a justifiable position for a guy like Thorfinn living in the viking world. I'll admit that at first I was rather irked that Thorfinn suddenly decided to go full pacifist, but his forced questioning of the stance has certainly gotten me to change my mind.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I have a terrible habit of derailing ongoing discussions so forgive this silly me..but since my knowlege of Nord/early Britain is laughable, is the author doing a historical-almost accurate work?

I'm not an expert but it seems pretty accurate. Then again outside a small slice of the conquest of England by Canute the manga has been staying outside the realm of written record. Nobody would have chronicled the life on a somewhat prosperous farm that got taken over by Canute, nor would Canute have kept a journal about his adventures with an angry Icelandic boy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GodFish posted:

I maybe be misremembering, but I think the reason why Canute wanted the farm was because it was so productive. So killing all of the farmers would defeat the point on that.

Most of the actual farmers aren't taking up arms though. It's the freemen who owe Kettle money who are currently rallying. No need to kill the slaves, serfs or mercenaries. Just make sure Kettle is gone and sufficient example has been made of the guys who took up arms with Kettle and let those still standing get back to tilling the fields and bringing in your harvest.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Canute's war crown is pretty sweet. I hope Snake makes it out of this ok.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, knowing that ultimately Vinland fails due to man's inhospitably to man is really buming me out right now. After this chapter I'm really hoping for an alt-history ending.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd like Snake to come with, but I don't think he'll leave Ketil behind and that dude's not coming.

I think Snake's in a pretty good place for Vinland, he doesn't seem to much like violence. Just doesn't see any other way to pay his debts at the moment.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Goddamn, this chapter. What the hell could Thorfinn possibly do at this point, except maybe meet up with Canute again briefly?

Snake still need an evac.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There's a trick to taking a punch. Manage to survive a Thorkell punch and no other punch will ever be of consequence again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

trucutru posted:

Yeah, it is indeed pretty pointless. Even if Thorfinn is stoic as hell right now what he's doing is dumb. He's supposed to be smart and there are much better ways achieve what he wants without fighting or telling straight-up lies.

I'm kind of worried that Young Kettle's surrender is going to interrupt the whole thing, making it even more pointless.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JosephWongKS posted:

I want to see Thorfinn surviving 100 punches from Thorkell.

It's a historic manga, not a fantasy manga, dude.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've come to this negotiation with you to say, "Dude. I mean, really?" Those are my terms.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Thorfinn's developing his harem I see.

Would it be so much to ask that instead of "I am son of Thors" they just did Thorsson?

Edit: Going back and reading chapter 4, Halfdan is a super dick. Is Thorfinn going to stage a pacifist slave revolt?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 29, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Sandman posted:

Vinland Saga is pretty amazing. Admittedly, certain elements are kind of obvious if you've read the source material.

Yes, Gudrid is going to end up marrying Thorfinn. She's his wife in the actual Vinland Saga. Kind of wonder how the manga's going to handle some of the later bits of the adaptation, though, seeing as how the Vinland colony didn't exactly have a long or peaceful history

Everyone moves south and it becomes Sleepy Hollowland Saga as the descendants team up with the lost colony of Roanoke to save the world from the supernatural through hardcore pacifism.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zorak posted:

Hahahaha Thorfinn 2 pointing to his face at the end "WHAT ABOUT ME, ALSO THORFIN??"

Nah, that's his nose picking pinky. He was startled out of booger wrangling powered daydreaming by suddenly being called into a one on one negotiation.

So is Halfdan's plan to link up the Thors clan with his via marriage or just to get their sweet, sweet land?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is Thorffin's sister married or not?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

wid posted:

The only scenario where it follows historical accuracy where the colonization failed while also keeping it a happy ending is to have Thorfinn and family be absorbed into the indigenous culture and abandoned their own. So colony failed, but Thorfinn lived on happily until he dies of old age or from tuberculosis.

This is pretty much what I expect to happen. That or he comes back and begins his search for Shangri-La

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Nope, boy with a woman is still creepy no matter how many high fives you give him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, I'll admit that I have admired guys like Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great just for the sheer amount of genius they displayed in obtaining what they wanted. Caesar especially since he started pretty lowly and was able to reach the pinnacle of Roman authority before murdered by a corrupt senate that was upset that their false republic was falling apart. That and Caesar was also smart enough to get the common people on his side that it made him always look like the good guy.

Caesar was born into a semi-prominent Patrician family that traced it's line back to Aeneas, his father the Governor of one of the eastern provinces and his mother from an prominent family. Then his family ties kept him from getting killed in the Marius/Sulla fight. Which isn't to play down his rise to Totally Not King, but dude didn't start from the bottom.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mikl posted:

Miklagard is the viking name for Istanbul.

Nah, it won't be Istanbul until close to a millennia later.

Wouldn't it be faster just to go through the straits of Gibraltar? If the vikings have already made it to Constantinople they should know that they can just sail around Spain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pentyne posted:

Wives being virgins back then was a big deal, to the point to where if the husband thought she wasn't a virgin on the wedding night he could get the marriage nullified. Every woman of status back then usually had someone close to them, mother/aunt/handmaiden teach them how to fake the "virginal bleeding" with a pigs bladder filled with blood so when the moral arbiters would come in after and throw back to sheets to inspect for said blood, it'd be there.

Historically, marriage has been really hosed up in regards to woman's rights.

Gudrid's stabbing of that guy would also be really bad for her family. Not only would he beat the poo poo out of her (as was his right back then) but he could probably demand some recompense from her family as well. And not like "give me 2 sheep" but "give me your other daughter".

Seeing as she's already a widow, her maidenhood is irrelevant. Going :ese: on someone though, yeah, not so good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did Vikings even care about the maidenhood of their wives outside noble marriages?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Munin posted:

Also, love rival sneaked into the room and stabbed the guy, right? Gudrid certainly didn't seem to be thinking about anything like that.

Norse Johnny Cochran in the house.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love how this suddenly became a comedy as soon as they were picked up the baby and doggy.:3:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lt. Lizard posted:

I think thats pretty likely and even somewhat foreshadowed by the scene where he realizes that his father never gave up his sword and thus it is possible that he will have to use violence in the future. However I doubt that the story is setting his pacifism as something to be overcome - on the contrary, I think that when he is forced to use violence it will be seen as either a failure or a sacrifice.

Edit: ninja'ed hard.

I don't think it will be either failure or sacrifice. His near total pacifism is the result of the failure of his previous embracing of pure Viking Violence. The fact that he's thinking that maybe violence is sometimes an answer and that he realizes that violence may be required in this journey show that he's still refining his philosophy. I'm really loving the background story of philosopher Thorfinn.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lt. Lizard posted:

Eh, I guess that might be the crystallization of his path/philosophy, but I would be a little disappointed if Thorfinn would end as just another warrior-philosopher who only fights to protects his friend/innocent/subordinates, no matter how potentially cool the action scenes would be. I like the idea of a totally pacifist badass Viking leader too much for that.

It doesn't seem like that's necessarily where his end philosophy is heading. It's just that he's recognizing why there's violence, why pacifism might not be the total answer, and reexamining not only his father's path but potential deviations from his current path.

His ultimate resolution is going to be Vinland, the place where he can create a society not based on the old and outside it's feuds and rivalries. The question remains what level of non-violence he finally settles on during the journey.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DrSunshine posted:

It just shows that the libertarian ideal of NO GOVERNMENT ANYWHERE JUST MAH GUNS :bahgawd: is completely terrible to live in, because there would be nothing stopping you from avenging broken contracts with blood.

All you have to do is make a few examples of what happens when you get hosed over and it's all good. Sure it helps if you have a few giant killing machines or a crazy motherfucker or two on your side. But the History Channel has taught us that it was all worth it, because Earls get to play with the cutest loving baby goats and talk their ways into threesomes with princesses and shield maidens. Just make sure your best friend is a crazy son of a bitch like Floki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love how Vinland Saga just changes what it's doing on a dime. Ok, enough Viking fights, let's farm! Man, I'm bored now, Adventure Comedy!