Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
At least Thorfinn held up better than Chuck Norris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9zBLcmprdY

Nice that Leif's map shows they successfully avoided both the sea serpent and the happy angry Killer Whale so far. Hope they don't run into too many bigfoot cavemen in Russia though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Punc posted:

New Vinland Saga
Wonder how he'll fight her when he doesn't want to fight

He's going to invent Judo. Only it'll include a shitload of acrobatics that won't transfer over to Japan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really love that with Vikings you can just add "son" to the end of a word and have a new insult or praise.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man Hild had a nice house. So well built they couldn't even hear the rest of the town being pillaged.

I will admit that I forgot angry crossbow hunter's name was Hild and was trying to figure out why we suddenly transitioned to Steampunkland Saga.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Metal Meltdown posted:

From what I recall of my history classes, Christianity gained popular following with the common folk because of it's tenants regarding equal and merciful treatment for all. A religion that cared about it's poor and that a person born in any walk of life could rise in the ranks of was extremely progressive and likable at the time. Most other religions were discriminatory or required a great degree of wealth to get anywhere in their systems.

It didn't hurt that Norse beliefs were big on good things for warriors in the afterlife and meh things for those who didn't die in glorious combat. In contrast anyone can get a sweet afterlife deal with Christianity, the only catch is you have to ask Jesus. And that guy just can't say no.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Oh no, Hild didn't take momentum into account.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sharkopath posted:

It would be bad to do that, so it ain't happening.

The whole flashback is her remembering all the times people told her to forgive.

It seems to be more about letting the rage go. All the forgiving talk is couched in not letting hate and anger take over.

5 chapters from some Jomsvikings showing up with lightsabers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I like to think that's all Einer's got.

You can't kill him, because I don't want you to.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Motherfucker posted:

Did the manga ever get back to the killing and stuff?

No. We've moved beyond both War Saga and Farm Saga. Now we are on Badass Pacifism Saga.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I don't know why Other Thorfinn would include awesome dog in the list of questionable people they've picked up on their journey.

I kind of hope "Oh yeah, we're in some deep poo poo aren't we? I forgot" becomes a running gag.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Isn't Thorffin supposed to be a somewhat common name? Seems kind of weird the equivalent of yelling "Steve" in a crowd got those guys' attention.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Tangentially related to Thorkell punching a bear, this week's Vikings on History apparently is going to have a character also attack a bear. Since Vinland Saga's been brought up a couple times in the Vikings thread I figured I'd do the reverse promotion for those who need more huge Scandinavians showing bears who rules the food chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sc1dAV9p48

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AnonSpore posted:

You can't reverse promo a thread without linking it!

Whoops.

It takes place quite awhile before Vinland Saga does and covers the beginnings of the Viking raiding of England and Western Europe.

Also History streams it on their site. Regional locking may apply.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 26, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I just saw and somehow yesterday I mistook someone posting a link to History channel to "the latest historie". It's his fault for leading me to error though because Vikings is a lovely rear end series who shouldn't be linked on the anime forum.

That's just hurtfull.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think I'm most looking forward to seeing Thorkell destroy Floki. Now that we know Floki's goal, it's probable that the real reason he had Asklad attack Thors was Thors superior claim to succeeding the Chieftain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pewdiepie posted:

Askeladd was a better dad than Thors so Floki was basically doing Thorfinn a favor.

Dude, don't be talking poo poo about Thors. It's not his fault his dumb kid happened to stow away at exactly the wrong time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My guess is he uses the same tactics as Thors did when he fought Askeladd's group. Lots of knock outs and pressure point strikes.

Then when he faces the hostage crisis like Thors, Hild will save him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Poor Thorfinn just wants to live in peace, why can't you assholes let him continue Merchant Saga?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope he goes way off historical script and has Vinland be a successful utopia. Don't want to see the dream crushed in the end.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

i flunked out posted:

Looking forward to see how this pans out. I found it quite interesting to see Thorfinn in pain, but also clearly trying to be the new version of himself. Personally I'm hoping that Thorfinn just tells Thorkell whats up and then lets him deal with Floki.

Thorfinn is going to stick with his new beliefs and try and stop any violence. Hild will be the one to tell Thorkell, and then she'll kick her self over it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Law Cheetah posted:

Vinland Saga Side Story (Canine Saga)

i hope karli grows into a splendid dog

Man, that is one smug rear end goat. Gonna smug itself right into a throat rip.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JosephWongKS posted:

Farmland Saga is great, but (new chapter of) Thorkell Saga is even better - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Vol-019-Ch-133--Baltic-Sea-War--009-?id=330035

All Floki's carefully laid plans are going to be for naught after Thorkell finds out who robbed him of a sweet fight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

Just like how "Thorkell the Tall" doesn't mean he was actually 8 feet tall.

It's a reverse Ivar the Boneless.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That's a good point at the end there. What is Floki's game? He isn't dumb enough to think Thorkell would be down with this plan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rodyle posted:

Floki being unable to understand the motives of others is literally core to his character, it's a big reason why he hated Thors, because Thors didn't see everything in terms of pure cost/benefit like he does. Thorkell isn't as bad as Thors (who Floki couldn't read at all) but is just as much the irrational wild card in his own, single minded way.

A decent part of that was that Thors whole outlook was, for lack of a better term, un-Viking. Floki is a Viking dude living in a Viking world and suddenly the guy he knew as the Platonic Ideal of Vikings disappeared and when he popped back up was a pacifist with no desire for things that really turn normal Vikings' cranks.

Thorkell on the other hand is still the same ol' G. Not only that, Thorkell is very vocal and in fact famous for being driven 100% by fighting. Several times he has notoriously switched sides in wars and battles because his side was winning too easily. At the point where we are in the story Thorkell is getting a real jonesing for battle and is fairly loudly complaining about not having any fights to fight.

The attack on Thors was dumb and pointless, but at least fit within some sort of logical reasoning for dealing with a Viking warrior. Kill stealing Thorkel makes no sense at all unless Thorkel was expected to somehow lose the fight anyway or some other poor bastard was sent to assassinate Thorkel in order to totally wipe out any challengers to Floki's plan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love the idea that Canute and his right hand man just travel the world to places with a problem, which Canute uses to give orders in code for no goddamn reason other than it's more fun.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

That's gonna be hard after Thorkell chops him vertically in half.

Thorkell will be fine with it. The whole thing was that dumb dice head's fault, and I don't see much future for ol' Floki past this arc. Dude's scheming against too many power players.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

I really liked this chapter. Garm's whole plan is kinda contrived, but it's a good way to challenge Thorfinn's pacifism. I hope he beats up Garm and leaves him tied up for Thorkell like Batman.

Leaving someone who Thorkell hates tied up for Thorkell isn't any better than killing them yourself. Hopefully Thorkell will have already wrapped things up by the time Thorfinn gets there. Either that or Thorfinn walks freely through the battlefield as Hild crossbow snipes anyone who tries to attack him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Why did Floki even try and negotiate with the big guy? Surely he's heard the empty barrel of Saxon beer theory of conflict before.