Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Finally caught up reading this. I need to stop reading seinen series that release on an inconsistent schedule or are taking forever to get translated. Berserk, Akumetsu, Shamo, now this :sigh:

That's a cruel as gently caress cliffhanger to toss us into. I wonder if Thorfinn will even recognize him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cytokinesis posted:

This has been releasing every month around the 20th as far as I remember, how has the schedule been inconsistent, besides being off by a few days (which as its not one of the big three is pretty good)?

Okay, sparsely released series. :sigh: All of the good seinen series take forever.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

GentlemanLoser posted:

Some dudes just released the 24th volume of Shamo, so now there's only one more to go before we get stuck with a huge cliffhanger forever.

That cliffhanger is going to last forever, since the two creators of Shamo are suing each other for money.

On the bright side of Shamo, though, the Shamo Live Action Hong Kong movie came out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkpV850y0Ws

E: Is there going to be no Vinland Saga this month due to the mag taking a break? Or is it just on a different day/ unaffected?

Zorak fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 20, 2008

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Raws for both Vinland Saga 49 and 50 are scanned now. Now to wait for AnonymousSpore to scanalate them.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 15, 2009

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Sort of weird that chapters 49 + 50 came out fairly concurrently and were basically half chapters anyway. Thorfinn is REALLY starting to go off the deep-end, holy crap.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
http://www.mangatoshokan.com/read/vinlandsaga/494/53 this should work for you guys

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Shouldn't the next chapter be out by now? I wish people translated this and kept track of it more frequently.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Death Cube K posted:

Don't worry guys, Yukimura is just taking a short break to play a little idolmaster. I'm sure he'll be back on track in no time.

:mad: Also Miura finally came back and has been releasing every month so hooray!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Demtor posted:

Wow, JerseyMonkey, thanks for the thread! I've never even heard of Vinland Saga before but so far I'm loving it. I'm only on episode 11, but I am enjoying it immensely.

.. episode?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Any bets as to whether thors is thorfinns real father/who his real father is?

Uhhh why wouldn't he be his real father?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Just a guess but Thorfinn doesn't look anything like Thors and it's mentioned at least a couple of different times by different characters, when he's fighting Thorkell the second time it shows a direct comparison between the two and Thorkell says they don't have the same "look in their eye", it shows his sister being born but we never see Thorfinns birth we just know he was with Thors as a kid around 2-4, Thors shows a soft spot for adopting thralls. His fighting to live up to his father reputation and avenge him has also been a pretty big plot point and it wouldn't surprise me to see the writers turn that on its head. Could be totally wrong of course.

You are retarded. By look in the eye they mean that "realization of the truth of the world" that the Prince got.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 27, 2009

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

That's a bit harsh calling him a retard. He's just over analysing things.

No, he missed the entire point of like 20 chapters of exposition. That's dumb.

Brannock posted:

Everyone I've gotten to read Vinland Saga has pointed out that Thorfinn looks nothing like his father. I don't think this is an uncommon interpretation.

Especially with "father issues" being a major theme in the prologue and all.

He's like what, 14? And he looks more like his mother so :ssh: Besides, he looks quite a bit like Thors now!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's pretty obvious the kid is going to try killing either the guy or Thorfinn, and then Thorfinn will school him and then the guy will want Thorfinn to teach him or something.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So has Canute lost his philosophy to greed or is it a front...?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Somehow I get the feeling that Thorfinn is going to hulk out to save those kids, even though they're thieves, and that'll be the thing that gets him moving out of the farm.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Well that was pretty depressing!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I agree that is possibly where it's going, but let's not forget the nature of the enlightenments we've seen thus far: we've seen it result in both ultra pacifism (Thorfinn's dad), but also an acceptance that if one really needs to change the world, war IS necessary (Canute). So it's hard to tell where it will go.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So, I'm thinking about fixing the OP with better images and links/ information. Anyone have suggested replacement pics for both Vinland Saga/ Historie for the missing images and any new information to add?

I am also considering changing the thread title to be a bit more general, since this thread has been from the get go not just Vinland Saga but also "manga about western history" or whatever. So, should the thread be diversified to be just... that, or should it be HISTORICAL MANGAS in general (which would get us Asian history too, which is less unique and possibly historical/ realistic)?

Want to expand the thread at the very least to be about Otoyomegatari, which is fantastic.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 25, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Eiba posted:

I was going to object to expanding the scope too much, as that would end up leaving us open to the millions of samurai manga that exist, but drat if I'm not in love with Otoyomegatari pretty much at first sight. I think we could somehow distinguish manga that are really a good showcase for their unique setting from manga that just put their story in generic historical context, as the feudal setting is so familiar and generic to a Japanese audience.

Also seconding Cesare as a really great historical manga that a new OP could stand to put a spotlight on.

Yea, I can specialize it to be about non-Japan or something.

Also, if people want Cesare in, please submit a good summary/ some pics for it. Also, again, if people want to suggest pics for Historie/ Vinland Saga, I'm all ears!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
No real need for a new OP, I was just going to edit it in. Of course, if you're around, you can always do it yourself and save me the effort too!

Especially if you have the original (and now) broken images that you had in the OP because those were pretty good!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I can change titles and stuff.

And the thing with waffleimages is that occasionally some of the hosts cease to exist. It's not a single uniform host, it uses donated space.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So I started reading Historie to get some images from it for the OP and holy poo poo it really does loving own. Vinland Saga people: read dis.

Like... it starts really slow for volume 1, but then Volume 2 talking about Eumenes' childhood is where it ramps the gently caress up, what with a Scythian slave basically fighting off the entirety of Cardia at once through sheer brutality and badassitude.

It's historical as gently caress and yet badass as gently caress.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Here's something a neat: walkthrough of how the Otoyomegatari artist draws her stuff

http://natalie.mu/comic/pp/otoyomegatari

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
thread stickied for Women's History Month

dohohohoho

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Eiba posted:

On that note, I just saw Rose of Versailles recently, and I learned there was a sequel manga, Glory of Napoleon, and I was wondering if it had ever been translated in any form. The idea of a manga about Napoleon is intriguing enough that I'd quite like to read it, even if it evidently doesn't have the popular appeal of Rose of Versailles.

Sadly no. I bloody wish.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Jose posted:

Is there anything more like Vinland Saga? I guess something that is between Ares and Vinland Saga in terms of story and combat etc would be perfect. Ideally with art closer to Vinland Saga. I'm kind of weird about art, Ares I think is terrible but I don't have any issue reading while some stories have sounded good and I just can't handle the art.

Closest you get really is Berserk, which is quiiiite a bit different plot wise.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Well that was creepy as poo poo. And it looks like Canute has already lost track of his goal.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Eiba posted:

Has he? His goal was never that simple or clean. I think this is the natural result of his goal rather than something else. As he said, you can't have a stable system with two kings. No matter how well they got along personally, political forces would have pit them against each other in the long run. Killing his brother was the much more sensible option than war... and the much less human option.

It's certainly unsettling to watch it happen, though.

Honestly that kind of ugly progress is one of my favorite things about this manga, and the plot thread that most resembles the themes of Planetes. In that manga a morally ambiguous businessman did terrible things with real human costs while perusing his goal, but ultimately that inspired and drove on the main character and the goal of the whole project was achieved.

You know it's bad, but it works, so you can't really be sure it's wrong... all you know is success is bittersweet when its foundation is so rotten.

I love it.

IDK, like the King said way back when, he too used to have high-minded ideals, but power gives rise to desiring more power. It becomes its own goal after time.

Also, on the Otoyomegatari front: it's been almost a month since the last chapter, so I suppose it's worth asking now... is the release schedule gonna be affected by the Tsunami/ Earthquake situation? :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's licensed and very available so you should buy it and not encourage people to pirate it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That guy rules, whoever he is. Wanna see that dude keep living.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So we're once again having image breaking issues in the OP. I rehosted what was left on my own hosting and replaced other pics from their source, but some I forget what the images were. You should see that there's a missing Vinland Saga pic and I have no idea. Also, could use some images for Cesare and Emma, as well as additional manga for it.

Trying to round out this OP since it tends to be one of my fave threads to link to people since it's so quality packed.

Also, didn't see anyone mention that a new Historie dropped

http://www.mangareader.net/historie/69

Eumenes be TROLLIN

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I dunno, I think we're trying to keep this thread as disconnected from fantasy as possible.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They tend to be all very strict dramas set in historical settings without veneer of fantasy or science fiction.

Definitely check them out though! Otoyomegatari + Vinland Saga are my favorite out of the bunch, but they're all fantastic.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Potentially a man's name. I think we need to get Al-Saqr weighting in on this because I have no idea if the "amir" vs "amira" thing is as cut and dry and they just gave her an entirely dude name.

Though I definitely think Amira definitely sounds more like a woman's name to my Western ear, so way to screw up YenPress??

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ANIME AKBAR posted:

New Vinland saga

I really like where this is going

but I had no idea Leif had a son?

Leif's son was one of the ones bugging him on his boat in London about his guilt.

e: re this chapter, Canute sure is turning into his dad!!

Zorak fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 26, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The wolf imagery backing the entire chapter was really interesting.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Vinland Saga 76: W E L P god that kid is retarded

Otoyomegatari 19: Somehow I get the feeling that Smith isn't going to be in practice very long given he has no medical knowledge :ohdear:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Otoyomegatari 19 is very depressing if you know the current state of the Aral sea they're at.

Almost all the fish are dead, there's no fishing at all, and everyone in the areas around it are starving to death.

Blame Russian irrigation projects.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The stupid thing is, the issue isn't the projects themselves and more that they were lazy with the channels and they lose like 70-80% of the water irrigated off. If they just built them more efficiently :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Optimistically with modified irrigation canals and modifying the how the rivers move to said canals, you could probably restore much of the water there within ten years, though the lake ecology probably wouldn't recover as fast.