Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
If you want to earn major points, make sure not to use the Japanese-phoenetic versions of names for people.

In Japan they've "adapted" the names into the linguistics so that they're more typical in pronunciation. Don't call Cao Cao "Sou Sou" or anything please. Some of the adaptations get really odd (Dong Zhuo -> Tō Taku etc)

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I enjoy all that Vinland Saga offers, really. The entire thing is amazing in its own marvelous ways.

That being said: I do miss Thorkell a bit. Like Canute said, the guy is so honest that even though he's a murderous rear end in a top hat, he's very likable.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

Seriouspost - I hope these two are combined and we get an arc on Canute organising / reforming Denmark and England's agricultural systems.

I think it's safe to say that, given that:

1. Snake established that there's only twelve guards at Ketil's farm, and that a group of "40-50 vikings could easily take it over"

2. That their protection was entirely reliant on the good will and taxes they payed Canute's brother, and the fear of pissing him off

3. Canute has outright moved into action to seize that farm land and kill Ketil and probably everyone there

4. Slave Renegade Be A Lurking And Coming

... that this part of the farming saga will be rapidly coming to a close. I doubt we'll be going "FARM PART 2: NOW THEY WORK FOR CANUTE'S CHOSEN FARMING ADMINISTRATORS :> :> :>"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Has anyone seen any news on the latest chapters of Otoyomegatari at all? I've been looking for the raws and haven't found them, though I know it's been still appearing in magazines, and I presume people are scanning it and I'm just being bad at locating it.

While it's not those awesome Mori Kaoru drawing videos from before, here's her drawing things for fans at some event of some kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWBM5Th1uE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb5YtWxwBic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRnO8GzEImo

Here's her old drawing thing if you missed it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They're sort of twisting the history about Chares and Phocion here; in what we know, Chares was actually totally refused by Byzantium because he was a bit of an rear end. He was an effective commander, but he had a tendency to, well, plunder Athens' allies.

I am looking forward to what they do with Phocion though. Phocion is a really sort of interesting historical figure.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Also, while I think of it: has anyone picked up the Otoyomegatari/ Bride's Story volumes from Yen Press? Beyond the dubious translate of Amira/ Amir's name (supposedly Amir is fine anyway), are they fine/ good? How's the print quality?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rakugoon posted:

They're a good deal taller than most manga too. Plus the whole hardback thing makes it kind of a lovely release.

Ooh they're hardbacks? I like the sound of that. Definitely going to have to give that a buy.

In the meantime, here's some stuff for you all:

Pariya-san #1 I don't think I've ever seen this linked in here: It's a 4-panel style gag comic about Pariya from Otoyomegatari. I think Kaoru is doing it herself for the hell of it: she tends to end volumes with weird stuff like that.

Otoyomegatari Chapter 20 RAW. Here if you want it, or if you want to try to get someone else to scan/ translate it :v:

e: Also there's no Vinland Saga this month :negative:

Zorak fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 30, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Personally I'm not reading Vinland Saga just for YEAH RIP AND TEAR. I mean, that aspect is nice and it's entertaining, but ultimately it's the solid writing and setting that gets me. And experiencing all aspects of the period helps it be more immersive, for me anyway. I've been enjoying the farming arc.

The fact that farming has been interspersed with little bits of RIP AND TEAR makes it good as well.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Did some research on who is actually "supposed" to be scanning Otoyomegatari. The group called Scantily Clad that was translating it for awhile apparently "gave" it to some group called Maigo. However, they say that they didn't actually pick it up and they basically just said they were giving it to them to get rid of it. :(

So basically, no one. :(

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 3, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Supposedly these guys picked it up: http://thmmy.wordpress.com/ But the two releases they did of it were just using a translation some guys did on 4chan and doing the release using it. So... nothing reliable.

:(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Whoops I did a thing (Otoyome chap 20)
I'm not real proud, this one's quick and dirty, but hopefully it's readable. Anyone who feels like it can try and touch it up.

I've noticed nothing that's thrown me off. Excellent work.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah that chapter was adorable and interesting.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Munin posted:

I have to say though. Why the hell does one of the underlings know the full plan? He could have had separate set of people with the onnes provoking the situation being the only ones to know. The people sent to arrest them could have been kept in the dark.

Because just because Canute is capable of keeping us tongue doesn't mean his agents are. Presumably the guys sent to taunt Canute weren't told, but the rest of the "special forces" or guard or whatever had to be be let known who they were arresting, just so they didn't do something else like actually let them go or try to kill them themselves. As Thorgill said, it was policy to let this poo poo slide: the guards had to be let known that the policy wouldn't apply to Thorgill etc, and to expect what was going to happen since they were a key part of the plan.

I'm guessing the key issue here going out is that Canute is vastly underestimating his opponents. He's sending a 104 men, including Jomsvikings which are loving tough, true, but all it needs is a certain tall rear end viking who likes murdering people as much as Thorgill to show up and decide he likes Thorgill for everything to get craaazy.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

Given their destination, it doesn't even need that. Thorffin gets to have his new found pacifism tested. Will he be able to bluff/run his way out of the fight, or will the appearance of Lief at the battleground increase the number of people he'd be willing to go nuts to protect sufficiently to cause him to fight?

I'm guessing he'll be pacifistic and it'll get tons of people killed as a result, leaving him doubting his path. :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Otoyomegatari Chapter 21, RAW

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ententod posted:

I wonder if Einar nearly attacking his masters with an axe will go by unpunished?

He didn't do anything. Snake has well established at this point that he's not a petty type.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Aaaa Vinland Saga, you just have things gettin bad to worse :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Raku posted:

Thorkell is going to join the Vinland group and it is going to be awesome.

Thorkell is going to learn to simultaneously be Thorkell as gently caress while making a philosophical turn around and it is going to be glorious.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
What is especially horrifying about this situation is that if they don't flee, if they stick around, even if they don't fight, chances are they'll all be killed. Even Arneis. Just because Canute is cognizant of the horrors of the world doesn't mean he is definitively isn't willing to absolutely be a complete beast. I expect he aims to kill everyone present at the farm to cover up what he's done. Every single one.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Man, Arneis is definitely croaking it

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That was a pretty outstanding chapter. It's sort of funny how half-hearted Canute is about hey i told you guys not to kill them / capture him alive ah whatever.

He's just falling into the casual laziness that his position permits towards empathy.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yess that chapter ruled. I also agree that I hope Snake comes with. That guy rules. I am skeptical of him doing it though; he is not exactly in the same place Thorfinn is.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

KittenofDoom posted:

The young master actually turned out to be a decent dude in the end. Sucks everyone died for it to happen, but hey! Manhood!

Thing it, his brother was right in that it wasn't really HIS fault that this happened. In that sort of world, you often have no control. Orman provided the excuse, but another would have been found. However, Orman's conclusion is the correct one: they stand no chance, and ultimately their lives are far more important than "honor".

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder how Canute will react if he sees Thorfinn embracing the peaceful mindset in a greater way than he.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
If that happens I'm willing to bet it involves Thorfinn CQCing Brother Kill Everyone to save Canute.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Because it involves an event from last chapter?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The most recent Vinland Saga is amazing. Thorfinn is really going all the way with his new philosophy; it seems he's even finally understand what his father meant.

Which means one thing: THORKELL NEEDS TO ENCOUNTER HIM AGAIN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pentyne posted:

It's just odd that even with their back to the wall, they join up with a tribe being armed and funded by the Russians (the people trying to wipe out the nomads).

Sometimes with your back up against the wall, even if the only path to survival is a very slim one, you need to take it. Even with misgivings and worries, what can you do? Sometimes you let yourself get played if you have no other option in the hopes that you can turn it to an advantage.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That chapter is amazing. God this arc has been great, even with the low amounts of action. Thorfinn has some badass pacifism. Badassifism.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's an interesting cap on Thorfinn's adventures in the mainland Europe. I'm sure there's plenty of drama and adventures ahead. As Eiba said, there's a lot of stuff to go in the history.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That was adorable I wonder how much Thorfinn is going to reveal of what he went through. I mean, his current course of action aside, the dude has killed easily hundreds of people.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
WAIT: the thing I want most from Vinland Saga right now is Thorfinn to go "by the way, I met Great Uncle Thorkell. I cut out one of his eyes."

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Fascinating! I'm not very educated about this era. Could you tell us more about what was happening in Central Asia at the time?

The Great Game is kind of a cluster gently caress and impossible to tell in brief. It was a very complex and unusual proxy war / imperialist race that lasted eighty plus years and involved all of Central Asia at once point or another.

Here's a decent book on the subject, though I have to point out that it has a very heavy UK-lean to its story; pretty much all Great Game works have a political lean one way or another, though it's not helped by the fact that it basically ended with the Russian Revolution meaning a lot of the Russian's side simply got lost in the upheaval.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

He was held under suspicion, but I thought it was pretty explicitly stated that he's just here for research? At least, that's what he said, I guess you'd have to take his word for it but I don't think I saw much pointing to him being anything but some nerd.

He said that but the thing is: everyone in that area during that time was involved in the Game somehow.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Both are equivalent, just that Amira is technically the feminine form. Except the masculine form is sometimes used for women too so :iiam:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Has anyone ever read the Rose of Versailles sequel, The Glory of Napoleon – Heroic? Is it any good? It's not been scanned ever, but I want to know if that's a Bad Thing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pincky posted:

So when will there be a new chapter of Otoyomegatari? Or Vinland Saga? I'm on withdrawal from historic Manga.
Does anybody have a release schedule for those two, so that I don't have to check all those manga-websites every hour? :hist101:

Vinland Saga is monthly, Otoyomegatari is every other month.

Xtanstic posted:

Just blitzed through Vinland Saga these past two days and loved it. Time to skim the thread. If I enjoyed that, I suppose Historie is the next logical step?

Depends on what aspects of Vinland Saga you like! Historie is generally less action packed and dynamic, but is pretty interesting! Though it comes out slowwww and smallll and chapters are half assed when they first come out.

Otoyomegatari is what I'd recommend if you just want more of a really well drawn and historical work. Because it's that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rodyle posted:

Not that I've read it myself, but isn't Joe sort of hurt by everyone and their dog knowing its ending (because it seems like that's the only part that's ever talked about)?

Not really, no, any more than knowing how Citizen Cane or any well made film is "hurt" by knowing how it goes.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pentyne posted:

It's "Kane" you goddamn plebeian.

:twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Thorfinn is totally going to defeat that chain guy via the power of Jesus.