Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

VEHICLE: 1966 Pontiac Bonneville convertible

-- Engine rebuild (106,000 miles - oil blowback, leaking oil also from every orifice)

-- Customize a JVC CD headunit with detachable faceplate to replace factory radio, without cutting anything (radio opening in dash will not fit a DIN radio without hacking; aftermarket alternatives suck, and the factory radio sounds like Dixie cups + string)

GOAL: restoration, better sound...that's reversible to stock

DIFFICULTY:

MOTOR: I have two. Shop is rebuilding one, I'm doing the other. I am removing & replacing the motor myself...when I was twenty, I could do a complete changeout by myself in a day (a long one). At 45, I'm giving myself assistance from my son, and a couple of weeks.

RADIO: Three weeks. A lot of cutting up of a donor radio, soldering.

UPDATE Radio thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2823123

COSTS:

MOTOR: $2000-$3000 for shop stock rebuild, which includes detailing the engine bay plus working over the tranny for leaks. Plus, unpleasant surprise fund.

$1200-$1500 for the one I'm doing. I may live to regret it.

RADIO: Maybe $100. Older JVC headunits are cheap & rock-solid. It's mostly bench labor.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU