Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
POSTER: Left Ventricle
VEHICLE: 1996 Buick Century wagon
GOAL: Head gasket
DIFFICULTY: For most here, I'm sure it's in the realm of "weekend job", but it's been "goddammit why is it taking this long?!?!" (multiple weekends since mid-March, still not done with teardown)
COSTS: Well, if you set aside the $1500 purchase price, rental car, fuel for two cars, and the withering stare from my mother-in-law, probably only about $100 so far, mostly in wasted coolant. Shouldn't be more than $400 all-in, which is way cheaper than if I had just dropped it off at a shop.
LINK: "What could possibly go wrong?" Let's Play: GM 3100 Head Gasket Job [blind]

The "[blind]" is completely serious—I've never done this heavy of a job before. Should be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
POSTER: Left Ventricle
VEHICLE: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon
GOAL: Engine swap!
DIFFICULTY: Moderate. R&Ring the drivetrain is the easy part.
COSTS: Phew... A hell of a lot more than I probably should be spending on a 20-year-old Buick.
LINK: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3738086

Thread starts out innocuous enough, with the procurement of a parts car, and descends into madness from there. It will be a unique build when I'm done though. I'm pretty sure no one has ever swapped an LX9 into an A-body before.