Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

To follow up on that: Updating the file server to 11 seems to have fixed it. In hindsight I suspect it's because mountd was changed to use the -S flag by default ("don't break horribly when updating the exports list, but possibly hang for a bit instead") , but I'm not about to roll back to 10.3 to test that theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/blog/freebsd-takes-open-source-to-11-with-latest-release/ posted:

FreeBSD Takes Open Source to 11 with Latest Release
10/10/2016
October 10, 2016, Boulder, CO. – The FreeBSD Project, in conjunction with the FreeBSD Foundation, is pleased to announce the release of the much anticipated FreeBSD 11.0. The latest release continues to pioneer the field of copyfree-licensed, open source operating systems by including new architecture support, performance improvements, toolchain enhancements and support for contemporary wireless chipsets. The new features and improvements bring about an even more robust operating system that both companies and end users alike benefit greatly from using.

“FreeBSD 11.0 represents years of hard work by volunteers in the FreeBSD community, developers employed by companies using FreeBSD, academics, and FreeBSD Foundation staff members and grant recipients,” said Ed Maste, Director of Project Development, FreeBSD Foundation. “I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished and am confident FreeBSD 11.0 will provide an excellent choice in the world of open source operating systems.”

The FreeBSD Project continues to expand and enhance the platforms which run FreeBSD. This versatility makes FreeBSD an excellent choice for researchers looking to work on new architectures and practitioners who need alternative platforms that best suit their needs.

Continuing FreeBSD’s commitment to working with ARM technologies, the FreeBSD/arm64 port is now available thanks to the FreeBSD Foundation’s collaboration with Cavium, ARM, Semihalf, and ABT Systems. Cavium’s ThunderX platform is the primary reference target for the FreeBSD/arm64 port.

“Cavium is pleased to have partnered with the FreeBSD Foundation, ARM, Semihalf, and ABT Systems to add support for the ARMv8 architecture in this release,” said Tasha Castañeda, Associate Director, Software Ecosystems and Solutions, Cavium. “Using the ThunderX server as the primary reference platform, FreeBSD 11 provides users with the best in class implementation of the ARMv8 architecture. Our high performance 48-core SoC incorporates features that are crucial for the most demanding server applications. Working with FreeBSD is part of Cavium’s commitment to delivering operating system diversity on our platforms and continuing to expand the ThunderX software ecosystem.”

RISC-V is another new target now supported in FreeBSD 11.0. RISC-V is an exciting new open source Instruction-Set Architecture (ISA) with a focus on computer architecture and instruction set research, developed at the University of California at Berkeley. The FreeBSD 11.0 RISC-V port allows FreeBSD to boot to multi-user mode on the Spike simulator and QEMU emulator. FreeBSD 11.0 is the first operating system release to include bootable, in-tree support for RISC-V.

Other new features include:
• An asynchronous implementation of the sendfile(2) syscall can yield up to 40% performance improvement for existing file serving applications, without modification.
• Support for NUMA memory allocation and scheduler policies.
• Expanded bhyve guest operating system support including Windows Vista, 7, 8, Server 2012, and 10.
• Network CPU scalability and affinity improvements through RSS (Receive Side Scaling).
• Tool chain enhancements, including an update to Clang 3.8.0 and a migration to BSD-licensed ELF binary tools.
• Out-of-the-box support for Raspberry Pi, Raspberry Pi 2 and Beaglebone Black peripherals

In addition, FreeBSD 11.0 lays the groundwork for a release stream that will see many significant features during its lifetime. A complete list of the features in this release is available at https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/relnotes.html

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

To get rid of the (TM) graphic, how about a new thread title "The Ultimate BSD Thread - The Devil turned it up to 11"

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Really just a bit curious - how many people ITT use OpenBSD semi-regularly?

e: and if so, I'm also a bit curious on what its being used for.

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 14, 2016

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Router, pf is awesome.

Katalize
Dec 30, 2013

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I used to run OpenBSD on my very old laptop. OpenBSD runs surprisingly fast on the old hardware, probably because of no bloatware.

Bruno_me
Dec 11, 2005

whoa

EvilMoFo posted:

Router, pf is awesome.

Same, it makes a really great router OS (or whatever poo poo you wanna set up and leave running in a closet forever). At work we use combinations of OpenBGPD, OpenOSPFD, and OpenIKED to build internet routers, VPN gateways, and anycast DNS/RADIUS/internal services. It's typically really stable (both as a platform and uptime-wise) and nice to work with, but it's not super suitable for modern high-velocity development/server stuff- mainly because they only update their package repository every 6 months.

Bruno_me fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 15, 2016

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I use it as my home gateway. As configurability, stability and power it beats hands down any consumer level routers out there. Cheap old computer in the basement... running like a champ for the last 13 years (i do upgrade every 6 months though).

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Ok so now that I'm on 11 I decided to try out the Docker support.

It's all unsupported linux syscalls all the way down as far as I can tell, not sure what I was expecting.

Is there something I'm missing?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

roadhead posted:

Ok so now that I'm on 11 I decided to try out the Docker support.

It's all unsupported linux syscalls all the way down as far as I can tell, not sure what I was expecting.

The documentation wiki is pretty clear on this:

quote:

Docker on FreeBSD relies heavily on ZFS, jail and the 64bit Linux compatibility layer that was introduced in June, 2015. Docker on FreeBSD is genuine Docker and retrieves containers from the official docker.io repository.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

roadhead posted:

without even looking into the requirements, these come to mind:
linux compat
linux base
linux libraries

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

These wouldn't be automatically installed as dependencies when I installed the port?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/linuxemu-lbc-install.html

The linux compatibility layer is included in the base system, you merely need to enable it. The linux base system is a separate port that is necessary for binaries to run, it is installed automatically in the event you installed a linux binary port.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: Nm I think I found another way.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 6, 2016

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I used it for my IRC machine for a while, but have moved back to FreeBSD. Their need to mount a disk to update versions just seemed ridiculous to me.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I use it on my router (pfSense hardware, but OpenBSD runs great), and on my general-purpose server. Systems administration is not my job (I'm a PhD student), and OpenBSD is the only system that is simple enough for me to understand in its entirety.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know how you would mount a remote NFS share in FreeNAS? I have a few Plugins(Jails essentially) running a few apps. Does this need to be done on a jail by jail basis or is there a more elegant solution that Freenas provides?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Generally speaking you could just put them in the host fstab, mounting "into" the jail directory. It'll be fun making the user ids match, but you'd kind of have that problem anyway.

If FreeNAS has implemented it on top of ezjail, I think it will read and mount from /etc/fstab.jailname (or something like it) when starting the jail, but there isn't anything like that for plain jails.

Of course, there might also be a separate FreeNAS solution; I wouldn't know.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I'm trying to learn a bit about BSD, so I've started looking into OpenBSD installation options. As far as I understand, they provide installer for release version, daily build of current branch, but no installer for stable branch. So if I want an iso with stable version I have to build the system from source? I'm a bit confused by the logic here.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Forgall posted:

I'm trying to learn a bit about BSD, so I've started looking into OpenBSD installation options. As far as I understand, they provide installer for release version, daily build of current branch, but no installer for stable branch. So if I want an iso with stable version I have to build the system from source? I'm a bit confused by the logic here.

They provide full system install ISO for quite a while now. Go to https://ftp.spline.de/pub/OpenBSD/6.0/amd64/ and grab install60.iso if you want the iso or install60.fs if you want to write it to an USB. Then just boot with the media and the installation process will start.
For full mirror list see http://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html .

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Volguus posted:

They provide full system install ISO for quite a while now. Go to https://ftp.spline.de/pub/OpenBSD/6.0/amd64/ and grab install60.iso if you want the iso or install60.fs if you want to write it to an USB. Then just boot with the media and the installation process will start.
For full mirror list see http://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html .
Yes, but that's the release version from July of last year. It doesn't have those 19 patches applied.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Forgall posted:

Yes, but that's the release version from July of last year. It doesn't have those 19 patches applied.

Yep. Install 6.0 and rebuild the system. It sounds like a lot but it doesn't take very long and it's easy: https://www.openbsd.org/stable.html

You could also run -current, but it's more annoying and problem-prone: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 18, 2017

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

I used it for my IRC machine for a while, but have moved back to FreeBSD. Their need to mount a disk to update versions just seemed ridiculous to me.

What do you mean? You just need to boot from the ramdisk kernel. That doesn't require any additional disks.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 18, 2017

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

An Enormous Boner posted:

Yep. Install 6.0 and rebuild the system. It sounds like a lot but it doesn't take very long and it's easy: https://www.openbsd.org/stable.html
I'd give it a try. Ideally I'd like to have fully automated build process in a VM creating an iso which can be booted from to autoinstall the patched system and software I want. Seems to be possible from what I've read.
Can I skip building Xenocara and bundling it into the iso if I don't need desktop environment?

Forgall fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 19, 2017

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Forgall posted:

I'd give it a try. Ideally I'd like to have fully automated build process in a VM creating an iso which can be booted from to autoinstall the patched system and software I want. Seems to be possible from what I've read.
Can I skip building Xenocara and bundling it into the iso if I don't need desktop environment?

Many packages require the X libraries anyway. You're better off just including it.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
What's the proper OpenBSD way to set up a daemon that auto-restarts on crash? I was assuming rc would be in charge of that, but apparently not?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Forgall posted:

What's the proper OpenBSD way to set up a daemon that auto-restarts on crash? I was assuming rc would be in charge of that, but apparently not?

OpenBSD has watchdog(4) and watchdogd(8) for rebooting the machine after a crash or hang. If you want to do the same but at process granularity (i.e. restart a hung process, not the whole box) then you need something like Monit.

The rc system is just a bunch of shell scripts, so it can't really do anything for process monitoring and fault recovery. That's one of the main problems that systemd was created to solve in Linux. Solaris solved this problem by replacing their rc scripts with SMF, but it's not easily portable. The Illumos distros like OmniOS and OpenIndiana have it though, if what you're doing isn't necessarily tied to OpenBSD.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In addition to Monit, there are more permissively licensed process control systems including supervisord (which is BSD, I think) and daemontools (which is Public Domain) depending on whether you want python or something which is probably quite secure.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 6, 2017

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I just found nosh as well, which was inspired by daemontools and seems like it's intended to replace init on the BSDs.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Do the devs expect "rcctl check $service || rcctl restart $service" cron jobs or something? If you asked most experienced OpenBSD admins, would they just tell you to install nosh/supervisord/daemontools/Monit? Writing scripts yourself seems costly.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 6, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

I just found nosh as well, which was inspired by daemontools and seems like it's intended to replace init on the BSDs.
Wouldn't that make it closer to OpenRC, which is done by Roy Marples of NetBSD? I'm confused as to why it isn't in the FreeBSD ports repository itself, and only distributed as a package by the developer, or as a source file.

Do the devs expect "rcctl check $service || rcctl restart $service" cron jobs or something? If you asked most experienced OpenBSD admins, would they just tell you to install nosh/supervisord/daemontools/Monit? Writing scripts yourself seems costly.
Wouldn't they tell you not to install anything and only use what's in base?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 6, 2017

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

Wouldn't that make it closer to OpenRC, which is done by Roy Marples of NetBSD? I'm confused as to why it isn't in the FreeBSD ports repository itself, and only distributed as a package by the developer, or as a source file.

OpenRC doesn't do process supervision though, so it can't detect a crashed service and attempt to restart it. I'm also confused as to why the developer hasn't submitted a port, but he hosts his own package repository, and uses a wacky DJB-style build tool he re-implemented called redo, which is also in his repo but not in ports. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn that he's home-rolled his own packaging scripts instead of just using ports and poudriere like pretty much everyone else in FreeBSD-land.

Why don't you just fix your service so it doesn't crash :smug:

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 6, 2017

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

Wouldn't they tell you not to install anything and only use what's in base?

That's what I'm asking, though. What would some smartypants guy (or a loose consensus of smartypants people) say is a generalized solution for this kind of problem using the base installation? I can only think of 'roll your own scripts', which could range from a somewhat trivial exercise to a real gigantic waste of time. I'm almost certainly ignorant of something.

I don't think they're averse to third-party software. Packages are important. Maybe there's someting in the collection.

edit:
OK...
http://ports.su/sysutils/supervisor supervisor is in ports
http://ports.su/sysutils/freedt this reimplementation of daemontools is in ports
http://ports.su/sysutils/monit monit is in ports

So, basically, everyone here probably gave good advice. Strange....

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 7, 2017

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
If you want questionable advice, use launchd

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Comedy option: Impliment systemd on BSD.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Do the devs expect "rcctl check $service || rcctl restart $service" cron jobs or something?
You know, this seems perfectly adequate for my needs.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I really wish Firefox worked well on OpenBSD.

You can increase datasize-max and datasize-cur in login.conf for the paths that contain the binaries. You can increase the ulimit values. I can still reliably crash it by launching mpv from thunar or pcmanfm.

Apart from that, it's not performant. I know they're aware of this and are working on some optimizations. Chrome doesn't seem much better, either, and it's not significantly more stable (in my experience).

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I've made a site61.tgz set and uploaded it (and index.txt file) to amazon s3 bucket. When installing OpenBSD, it complains that it can't connect over https. Http fallback works, but obviously it's not a good solution. What could be the problem and where do I start troubleshooting it?

Looks like s3 is using certificate from Symantec, which I heard were involved in some controversy. Did OpenBSD devs just purge them from trusted root or something?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a question about OpenBSDs pf:

I have an OpenBSD pc in the basement that's my internet gateway. It does forwarding, NAT and a bunch of other things. I want to implement a rule in the firewall where it blocks internet access for certain IPs (internal IPs). I came up with this as the last rules in my pf.conf:

code:
table <somehosts> persist
block drop in log (all) on $int_if from <somehosts> to any
where $int_if is the internal interface. Then, with a simple "pfctl -q -t somehosts -T add <ip>" I can block an internal IP from accessing the internal interface and therefore the internet.
And it works. But, it doesn't do anything for already opened connections (such as games). Is it possible to somehow easily drop those too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

code:
pfctl -k <IP or network or label>
"Kill all of the state entries originating from the host or network specified by key." - man pfctl(8), option "-k key"

• Locked thread