Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
How can Samba bring down the system?

I noticed some file copies hang. The client eventually gave up and said the server disappeared.

I tried restarting the Samba service and that failed. I tried to kill / kill -9 / killall it, but it wouldn't die.

# ps aux | grep smb
code:
myname   2099    0.0  0.0 348732 13352 ??  D    13Apr15     50:35.96 /usr/local/sbin/smbd --daemon --configfile=/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
myname   6402    0.0  0.0 332488  7180 ??  I     2:25PM      0:00.87 /usr/local/sbin/smbd --daemon --configfile=/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
myname   6407    0.0  0.0 328260  5448 ??  D     2:27PM      0:00.87 /usr/local/sbin/smbd --daemon --configfile=/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
myname   6508    0.0  0.0 332508 13720 ??  D     2:37PM      0:01.56 /usr/local/sbin/smbd --daemon --configfile=/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
root    20270    0.0  0.0 268612 14572 ??  Ss   11:16AM      0:00.01 /usr/local/sbin/winbindd --daemon --configfile=/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
root    20271    0.0  0.0 271692 15716 ??  I    11:16AM      0:00.03 /usr/local/sbin/winbindd --daemon --configfile=/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
root    20276    0.0  0.0  16332  1548  0  S+   11:16AM      0:00.00 grep smb
The letter "D" there. "uninterruptible sleep". Once process apparently died on the 13th.

I had never seen this with Samba 3.6 (which ran fine for months). I'm getting a "stuck" process with Samba 4.1 every few days.

I tried rebooting and it failed. It goes through the shutdown process but never reboots. I have to manually hold the Power button to kill the system completely.

How do I recover from a stuck process like that?

FreeBSD 9.3, Samba 4.1.17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, after wondering why my Logwatch settings never seemed to work right, I just found out the correct path for the configuration file on FreeBSD isn't mentioned anywhere.

Logwatch on FreeBSD uses /usr/local/etc/logwatch/logwatch.conf. I just tried a Google search for that;

quote:

No results found for "/usr/local/etc/logwatch/logwatch.conf".

The man pages and HOWTO say it uses /etc/logwatch. That directory is completely ignored by Logwatch on FreeBSD.

When you search for Logwatch "guides", all of them seem to tell you to modify /usr/local/etc/logwatch/defaults/logwatch.conf, which is a big no-no. That file is over-written with an update, anyway.

I had to look into the source of /usr/local/sbin/logwatch.pl to see where it was looking.

Am I missing something with this? Why cannot I find correct documentation for Logwatch on FreeBSD? Why would their own documentation on it be wrong? "man logwatch" seems to suggest that you use /etc/logwatch.
/usr/local/share/doc/logwatch/README and /usr/local/share/doc/logwatch/HOWTO-Customize-LogWatch both say to use "/etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf"

I guess another bug report is on my ToDo list...

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Xenomorph posted:

Well, after wondering why my Logwatch settings never seemed to work right, I just found out the correct path for the configuration file on FreeBSD isn't mentioned anywhere.

Logwatch on FreeBSD uses /usr/local/etc/logwatch/logwatch.conf. I just tried a Google search for that;

The man pages and HOWTO say it uses /etc/logwatch. That directory is completely ignored by Logwatch on FreeBSD.

When you search for Logwatch "guides", all of them seem to tell you to modify /usr/local/etc/logwatch/defaults/logwatch.conf, which is a big no-no. That file is over-written with an update, anyway.

I had to look into the source of /usr/local/sbin/logwatch.pl to see where it was looking.

Am I missing something with this? Why cannot I find correct documentation for Logwatch on FreeBSD? Why would their own documentation on it be wrong? "man logwatch" seems to suggest that you use /etc/logwatch.
/usr/local/share/doc/logwatch/README and /usr/local/share/doc/logwatch/HOWTO-Customize-LogWatch both say to use "/etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf"

I guess another bug report is on my ToDo list...

It's not a bug.

The docs may be a bug, because they seem to have just packaged the default documentation, but as a general rule: if the binary is in /usr/local (because you installed it from ports or packages), the config file is in /usr/local, as is the init script

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In other news, I finally, finally got NFSv4 with sec=krb5 working. Apart from all the services and config setup that has to be right, it helps to compile a kernel with GSSAPI. Without it, everything appears to work*, but reading/writing files always fails with I/O errors.

* I did finally notice an error in the messages log that sent me in the right direction.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there anyway to get /dev/gpt to update without a reboot or deleting a partition?

I wanted to rename some "/dev/mfisyspdXdX" disks and partitions to things like "gpt/zfs0" or "gpt/swap1". It seems that I either have to delete & remake the partition, or reboot the server to get the changes to stick.

There was a bug report opened in 2011 saying that it requires a reboot to update /dev/gpt:
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=162690

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

10.0 is done right and I should "update-freebsd -r 10.1-RELEASE upgrade" ?

Isn't there a difference between 10.even and 10.odd?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.1-RELEASE

is the syntax, but yes 10.1 is just the next version of 10.

Remember to install updates after! 10.1 is up to -p9 or something.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Neat. It looks like two of the bugs reports that I submitted apparently made it into yesterday's 4.1.18 samba41 update.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/net/samba41/Makefile?r1=386869&r2=386868&pathrev=386869

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=197320
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=194046

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Despite having run FreeBSD since 5.0-RELEASE, I'm always looking to optimize my system(s) and I recently discovered two small tools that make a lot of difference, namely iocage and iohyve that I didn't see mentioned in the thread, so I thought I would.

iocage is a classic jail management tool, with the exception that it's written from the ground up to make use of ZFS and libvirt, and it's ready for the change in jail configuration that's supposedly coming in FreeBSD 11. On top of this, it's very easy to use and supports templates, cloning, forking, quotas, and thin-provisioning and all sorts of other very useful things you can make use of for trouble-shooting, testing and upgrading whatever you're running in the jail(s).

iohyve is a tiny piece of software to put on top of bhyve, the ESXi-like bare-metal hypervisor FreeBSD have been working on for a while and which is now a very impressive piece of software. It makes it possible to create virtualized OS' that run on top of ZFS and use libvirt with a very simple syntax.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
you guys should check out hardenedbsd, security-enhanced fork of freebsd developed by some very smart people; they recently implemented aslr and stack randomization, and they're working on implementing PIE for all base executables iirc

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.

reddit liker posted:

you guys should check out hardenedbsd, security-enhanced fork of freebsd developed by some very smart people; they recently implemented aslr and stack randomization, and they're working on implementing PIE for all base executables iirc

Why not just use OpenBSD?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

MrDoDo posted:

Why not just use OpenBSD?

because some people would rather use a freebsd fork? also:

quote:

Over the July 4th weekend, we implemented randomization of the VDSO (Virtual Dynamic Shared Object). The VDSO is a spot in memory that is shared between the kernel and userland memory. It contains the signal trampoline and time-related code (like gettimeofday(2)). Even though the amount of code is small in the VDSO, it could still theoretically be used to generate ROP gadgets. Removing that piece of determinism makes generating ROP gadgets based on code in the VDSO more difficult. Randomizing the VDSO was the last piece of the address space to randomize.

Now that VDSO randomization is implemented, our ASLR implementation is now complete. You'll notice a new sysctl(8): hardening.pax.aslr.vdso_len. That controls the amount of entropy applied to the VDSO base. Our version of ASLR is the strongest form ever implemented in any BSD operating system.

Our ASLR implementation features:

Execution base randomization of Position-Independent Executables (PIEs)
Full stack randomization in addition to a random stack gap
RTLD base randomization
mmap randomization
VDSO randomization
Shared object load order randomization

You will still see further improvements. We are looking into making our shared object load order randomization more efficient with help from Michael Zandi. We need to update our aslr(4) manpage. We need to clarify some of the inline comments. These improvements are mostly cosmetic and result in no functionality changes.

additionally hardenedbsd is pushing their discoveries and implementations upstream to freebsd

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anybody been playing with the new and shiny bhyve capabilities?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh, neat. Nothing I remotely need, but that's sort of secondary.

In other news, kerberized nfs4 (with a windows 2003r2 server I have no control over as the kerberos server) is completely mystifying. It stopped working overnight and nothing I've done has worked, short of removing sec=krb5 from the mount options.

Oh well, there's always next week.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spotted down the road from my house:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OWLS! posted:

I've been playing around with bhyve a lot, but didn't know this. Since you posted, I've been playing around with it and it's actually really neat.

Tangentially related to the above image, I know FreeBSD gets used in core routers (JunOS), TVs (Panasonic), Playstation 3 and 4, the Mars rovers (specifically the FreeBSD netstack) and many other surprising places - along with some not-so-surprising like a lot of mail servers on the web - but I've never heard of any cars running it. It'd be kinda neat if it was used there as well.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

D. Ebdrup posted:

I've been playing around with bhyve a lot, but didn't know this. Since you posted, I've been playing around with it and it's actually really neat.

Tangentially related to the above image, I know FreeBSD gets used in core routers (JunOS), TVs (Panasonic), Playstation 3 and 4, the Mars rovers (specifically the FreeBSD netstack) and many other surprising places - along with some not-so-surprising like a lot of mail servers on the web - but I've never heard of any cars running it. It'd be kinda neat if it was used there as well.

The netstack gets used everywhere, but that's not a great indication of usage. Windows also used it for a long time. JunOS is also pulled from comparatively ancient versions of FreeBSD, even recent versions.

FreeBSD leaves a lot to be desired in realtime applications, but there's a realtime patchset and canbus drivers, so it's possible, but nobody's talking about it if so, without even getting into certifying it to work in given scenarios. QNX and VxWorks are still very much kings of that (embedded realtime OS) hill.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Doing a big upgrade on my FreeBSD box soon, mostly to get more space on the boot device. Anyone have a guide they like to use for something like this?

Is it better to just do a "fresh" install on the new drive and then move /usr /etc separately?

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

roadhead posted:

Doing a big upgrade on my FreeBSD box soon, mostly to get more space on the boot device. Anyone have a guide they like to use for something like this?

Is it better to just do a "fresh" install on the new drive and then move /usr /etc separately?
I'm in the same boat, I've been putting off upgrading my FreeBSD 9.0 box for some time now. Now that the installer makes ZFS root disks easy, I plan on blowing the whole thing out and starting over. Off the top of my head I plan on backing up the following:

/etc
/home
/usr/local/etc
SSH keys
Jails
running pkg_info to get a list of installed ports

Since I'm lazy I think I will just keep the existing drive just in case I missed something.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm getting some horrific kernel panics in 9.3 when I pull a HDD.

I tested it in the past (9.1/9.2 days), and it worked fine. I'd pull a drive, the kernel would log that a drive was disconnected. I'd plug the drive back in, and the system continued to purr like nothing happened in the first place.

Now I'm actually trying to replace drives, and I'm having a problem. My plan was to pull a small drive (3TB), replace it with a larger drive (6TB), then let ZFS rebuild. It takes about 30 hours to resilver for each replaced drive, and I have 12 drives to replace.

When I pull an old drive, the system has an immediate kernel panic and reboots. No error messages. Nothing logged to /var/log. Just a dump and a reboot. Obviously I don't want or need this thing uncleanly restarting itself over and over. It didn't do this before. I haven't pulled a drive from it since it had 9.1, though.

PowerEdge R720xd
PERC H310 HBA
mfi driver
9.3 "-30" update.

Anyone know why it would kernel panic when it loses a drive??

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Bluecobra posted:

I'm in the same boat, I've been putting off upgrading my FreeBSD 9.0 box for some time now. Now that the installer makes ZFS root disks easy, I plan on blowing the whole thing out and starting over. Off the top of my head I plan on backing up the following:

/etc
/home
/usr/local/etc
SSH keys
Jails
running pkg_info to get a list of installed ports

Since I'm lazy I think I will just keep the existing drive just in case I missed something.

I'm moving from a 32 gb IDE ssd to a new 512 gb Samsung 850 Evo because /usr and /var are always drat near full.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

evol262 posted:

The netstack gets used everywhere, but that's not a great indication of usage. Windows also used it for a long time. JunOS is also pulled from comparatively ancient versions of FreeBSD, even recent versions.

FreeBSD leaves a lot to be desired in realtime applications, but there's a realtime patchset and canbus drivers, so it's possible, but nobody's talking about it if so, without even getting into certifying it to work in given scenarios. QNX and VxWorks are still very much kings of that (embedded realtime OS) hill.

Just a note, Junos 15.1 upgrades the underlying OS from 6.1 to FreeBSD 10.
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos15.1/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/15.1/topic-83366.html#jd0e3809

Only for select platforms running Intel CPUs though.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

OWLS! posted:

i know my friend lattera absolutely loves bhyve, so it might be worth picking his brain if you're on twitter. he's also on the binrev irc channel, irc.binrev.net #binrev

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

roadhead posted:

I'm moving from a 32 gb IDE ssd to a new 512 gb Samsung 850 Evo because /usr and /var are always drat near full.

i can think of a much better reason to do that and it doesn't involve disk space

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
protip: when installing via console make sure your /etc/boot.conf contains
code:
set tty com0
stty com0 115200

and not
code:
stty com0 115200
set tty com0
or you will spend 4 hours tearing your hair out and reading documentation trying to figure out why your initial boot attempt is hanging when you have a serial console connected...

:negative:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

The Third Man posted:

protip: when installing via console make sure your /etc/boot.conf contains
code:
set tty com0
stty com0 115200

and not
code:
stty com0 115200
set tty com0
or you will spend 4 hours tearing your hair out and reading documentation trying to figure out why your initial boot attempt is hanging when you have a serial console connected...

:negative:

can you open a bug report on this please?

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

roadhead posted:

OK I finally did this, made all the new partitions, dump|restored the data one partition at a time. Reboot, change the boot order in the BIOS, so far so good.

The one thing both "guides" I was following fail to mention, and that actually was sort of important, was flags for the /tmp - apparently there is a t attribute you need set for that to work properly. Only noticed when I went to start up TMUX

code:
Filesystem           Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/gpt/gprootfs    242G    303M    222G     0%    /
devfs                1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/gpt/gptmpfs      15G     36K     14G     0%    /tmp
/dev/gpt/gpusrfs     162G     18G    131G    12%    /usr
/dev/gpt/gpvarfs      15G    5.2G    9.0G    37%    /var
procfs               4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /proc
fdescfs              1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev/fd
probably should have kept / smaller and put all the space on /usr ? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
can anyone who isn't poo poo at PF like me tell me why traffic on port 80 is getting to my host but not through the NAT to the nginx jail i have running?

/etc/pf.conf:
code:
ext_if = "vtnet0"
int_if = "lo1"
jail_net = $int_if:network

ngx_ip = "10.0.0.1"
ngx_ports = "{ 80, 443 }"

nat on $ext_if from $jail_net to any -> ($ext_if)

rdr pass on $ext_if inet proto tcp to port $ngx_ports -> $ngx_ip

block all

pass from { lo0, $jail_net } to any keep state

pass in inet proto tcp to $ext_if port ssh

pass out all keep state
`pfctl -sa`:
code:
TRANSLATION RULES:
nat on vtnet0 inet from 10.0.0.0/24 to any -> (vtnet0) round-robin
rdr pass on vtnet0 inet proto tcp from any to any port = http -> 10.0.0.1
rdr pass on vtnet0 inet proto tcp from any to any port = https -> 10.0.0.1

FILTER RULES:
block drop all
pass inet from 127.0.0.1 to any flags S/SA keep state
pass inet from 10.0.0.0/24 to any flags S/SA keep state
pass in inet proto tcp from any to 107.191.40.105 port = ssh flags S/SA keep state
pass inet6 from ::1 to any flags S/SA keep state
pass on lo0 inet6 from fe80::1 to any flags S/SA keep state
pass out all flags S/SA keep state

STATES:
all tcp 107.191.40.105:22 <- xxxxxx:59016      ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED

INFO:
Status: Enabled for 0 days 15:42:44           Debug: Urgent

State Table                          Total             Rate
  current entries                        1
  searches                            9306            0.2/s
  inserts                              678            0.0/s
  removals                             677            0.0/s
Counters
  match                               1470            0.0/s
  bad-offset                             0            0.0/s
  fragment                               0            0.0/s
  short                                  0            0.0/s
  normalize                              0            0.0/s
  memory                                 0            0.0/s
  bad-timestamp                          0            0.0/s
  congestion                             0            0.0/s
  ip-option                              0            0.0/s
  proto-cksum                            0            0.0/s
  state-mismatch                         5            0.0/s
  state-insert                           0            0.0/s
  state-limit                            0            0.0/s
  src-limit                              0            0.0/s
  synproxy                               0            0.0/s

TIMEOUTS:
tcp.first                   120s
tcp.opening                  30s
tcp.established           86400s
tcp.closing                 900s
tcp.finwait                  45s
tcp.closed                   90s
tcp.tsdiff                   30s
udp.first                    60s
udp.single                   30s
udp.multiple                 60s
icmp.first                   20s
icmp.error                   10s
other.first                  60s
other.single                 30s
other.multiple               60s
frag                         30s
interval                     10s
adaptive.start             6000 states
adaptive.end              12000 states
src.track                     0s

LIMITS:
states        hard limit    10000
src-nodes     hard limit    10000
frags         hard limit     5000
table-entries hard limit   200000

TABLES:

OS FINGERPRINTS:
710 fingerprints loaded

code:
% sudo iocage get ip4_addr nginx
lo1|10.0.0.1

% sudo iocage console nginx

root@ngx:~ # ifconfig lo1
lo1: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
	options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
	inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff

root@ngx:~ # grep listen /usr/local/etc/nginx/sites-available/mainsite.conf
    listen 10.0.0.1:80;
    listen 10.0.0.1:443 ssl http2;
i'm at a complete and utter loss here :smith:

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 5, 2016

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Is net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 ?
I have something similar (that works) set up at work, so I can take a look tomorrow.

In other news I've almost finished writing an nss module that forwards passwd and group queries over TCP , so you can get identical username:uid and group:gid mappings. I'd love it if the AD domain at work upgraded to a functional level that includes working uid/uid fields, but in the meantime etc.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

Is net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 ?
I have something similar (that works) set up at work, so I can take a look tomorrow.

In other news I've almost finished writing an nss module that forwards passwd and group queries over TCP , so you can get identical username:uid and group:gid mappings. I'd love it if the AD domain at work upgraded to a functional level that includes working uid/uid fields, but in the meantime etc.

code:
% sudo sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
net.inet.ip.forwarding: 1

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Do you have the sysctl set for ip forwarding?
net.inet.ip.forwarding

Does the host machine have an ip address on lo1?

Does the jail know to hit up that host ip address as it's gateway?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

EvilMoFo posted:

Does the jail know to hit up that host ip address as it's gateway?

yes to the other two but can you elaborate on this? i'm new to jails and PF specifically, this is a pet project of mine and i'm trying to learn more.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Try "route add default 10.0.0.x" in the jail, where x is the IP of the host. If that helps, you can set defaultrouter="10.0.0.x" in the jail's rc.conf.

Also, read this for more details: http://www.freebsd.no/doc/handbook/network-routing.html

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 6, 2016

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
nvm, fixed it

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 6, 2016

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh right. Maybe you need to pass port 80 from any to your external IP?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm running freeNAS and I've got a few thing installed manually in jails because freenas plugins never work/update correctly. I updated freeNAS and now portmaster in the jails is bitching about UNAME_r and OSVERSION do not agree on major version number. What's the procedure to upgrade them?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 20, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just bought a new computer and plan on making my old one into a freeNAS box. I'm told that FreeNAS forcefully uses the entire HD that it's installed to, regardless of the size, 1GB or 100TB. Is there any benefit to having more space in that install HD or would I be just fine with a 16gb SATA DOM?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

YouTuber posted:

I just bought a new computer and plan on making my old one into a freeNAS box. I'm told that FreeNAS forcefully uses the entire HD that it's installed to, regardless of the size, 1GB or 100TB. Is there any benefit to having more space in that install HD or would I be just fine with a 16gb SATA DOM?

don't use a hard drive at all, get a pair of usb drives.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

thebigcow posted:

don't use a hard drive at all, get a pair of usb drives.

I've done this and I agree. But in my case the Kimgston USB drives I used keep crapping out on me so antidotal evidence suggests that you spring for quality drives, 16gb was more then enough in my use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nystral posted:

antidotal evidence
You know, that makes at least as much sense as "anecdotal".

Unrelated, I have an NFSv4 problem. Granted, solving a problem with NFSv4+krb5 seems to be like regex ("now you have two problems"), but I think I've got it very nearly sorted.

I have a FreeBSD 10.3 fileserver, a FreeBSD 10.3 client, base kerberos (so heimdal), and a windows server 2003 R2 domain as the kerberos server. Following this it's actually working fine ... for some hours, and then the mounts completely die on the client: All IO to the NFS mount including umount gets stuck permanently in rpccon, and the only real way out is to reboot the client. It works fine for a while again after rebooting. Of course, there isn't a single word about this in the logs on either machine.

At a random guess, there is a kerberos ticket timing out in there somewhere ... but which one, and how do I renew it?

• Locked thread