Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

claym001 posted:

Please show your work.

One of the primary reasons many developers will cite is ease of licensing. The BSD license is pretty much the easiest with which to work, especially since they removed the attribution clause. You can simply use BSD code for whatever purpose you wish.

For example, in FreeBSD, ZFS has been implemented in the kernel. Due to licensing restrictions under Linux, it will likely only be implemented as a FUSE mounted system. This will prevent booting from ZFS under Linux, among other things.

jail(8) and securelevel(8) provide a strong means of security native to the kernel. Securelevel, once raised, cannot be lowered without a system restart. This prevents both local and remote users from tampering with the system in many ways.

sysctl(8) is of course pretty drat awesome at tuning your kernel, or dumping statistics. Why use /proc and a million file handles when you can simply ask the kernel?

But why bother you with boring technical details, when :nws: this :nws: is all the reason you need?

Edit: Different, still potentially underaged pictures. :(

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

covener posted:

This isn't really a point of differentiation.

Point taken, to an extent! My argument against /proc stands. sysctl for Linux seems to not provide as much information about the kernel, though:

code:
$ uname -rs
FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE
$ sysctl -a | wc
    1565    3757   49460

# uname -rs
Linux 2.6.22.6vanilla
# sysctl -a | wc
    428    1388   14004
I feel the BSD userland is strongly superior to GNU userland. Take `top` for instance. On a busy Linux server, top is painful to use, and can suck as much CPU as you're trying to reclaim from busy processes. top in BSD uses a fractional percentage of CPU for similar load sets.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Neurozys posted:

Not that she's showing any of the naughty bits, but that's Sarah Peachez and she is under 18 in those photos. She's perfectly legal these days, of course, and spends her time masturbating on camera, with an occasional blow job. Anyway, back to your nerd talk.

Hah! Good to know. I updated the link.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Aha. FreeBSD Handbook

I think I'm starting to like this handbook.

This cannot be stressed enough. For a newbie, simply open the handbook on page 1 and read the whole thing through once. It only takes about an hour or two, and it will simplify your life. When I first picked up FreeBSD 4.4 my friends told me that, and life was good.

Also, `dmesg` has driver->device mappings, just like under Linux. fxp are intels, bge are broadcom, I believe, rl are realtek, etc. I think you can even rename them to be eth0/eth1/etc, but why bother.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Absorbs Quickly posted:

So how stable is ZFS in 7.0?
I'm thinking about throwing up a decent sized server and running half a dozen jails on a raidz zfs pool,will I regret this if I do it?

It seems OK so far, but I wouldn't do anything that you didn't back up. We're running it on our personal file server. It nearly immediately blew a drive, hot swapped a new one in and it rebuilt just fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fishstick posted:

I need some help trying to mount a UFS disk in linux. The disk is sata and was in a freebsd (5.x) system in a raid 1. It's attached to the linux machine currently with a usb -> sata cable.

I'm using a 2.6.9.x linux kernel (centosplus), with ufs compiled as a module.

BSD disk labels are also compiled into the kernel, so I'm out of ideas. Im able to dd copy the disk, but i'd like to be able to mount it without having to attach it to a bsd machine.
Entertaining suggestions!

Are you sure the UFS and BSD partition modules are loaded? Is the raid1 completely transparent? Can you make a raid1 of a linux disk, then split it off onto this machine and use that?

I'm going to suggest you upgrade your kernel to something recent. 2.6.9 is pretty old. http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.25.tar.bz2 Give that a whirl and report back.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fishstick posted:

What exactly would that achieve?

Trying to see if you can mount anything that comes off that raid1 without the raid controller (software? hardware? nvraidbullshit?) in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Megaman posted:

I am absolutely brand new to BSD and fairly new to Linux/UNIX. What are the essentials to getting a BSD box online in a corporate environment? Currently I am running a test virtual BSD box and IP's don't resolve. Can anyone help a stupid noob?

Read the handbook.

• Locked thread