Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Is there a website somewhere that has a conversion table that can tell me what the device names are under FreeBSD versus Linux? I understand what eth0 and eth1 are in Linux but I have no clue what the hell le0 means. Note that I'm running FreeBSD under VMWare, should that make a difference.

quote:

I've never really had good luck even getting FreeBSD installed right. I should download the newest version and give it a shot.

The hardest thing for me to pick up was the partition versus slice moniker they have going. It seems to me that slices act as a kind of sub-partition under a normal FreeBSD partition. Is this a correct statement or am I way off?

EDIT: Well, I found part of what I was looking for in the FreeBSD handbook, though I'm not sure how they come to use ad for IDE hard drives, unless that's short for ATA drive or something. Found it. ATAPI disk. Back to work on Ethernet device names.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Aha. FreeBSD Handbook Chapter 11 Section 11.8.1: /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES and /usr/src/sys/arch/conf/NOTES will give you the list of network interface drivers with some information about the supported chipsets/cards.

I think I'm starting to like this handbook.

adorai posted:

ethernet devices are typically named after their driver. like xe0 or rl0 are two that I know of off the top of my head.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

H110Hawk posted:

This cannot be stressed enough. For a newbie, simply open the handbook on page 1 and read the whole thing through once. It only takes about an hour or two, and it will simplify your life. When I first picked up FreeBSD 4.4 my friends told me that, and life was good.

Will do, after finals are done that is.

quote:

I think you can even rename them to be eth0/eth1/etc, but why bother.

Yeah, I definitely see the advantage in the naming scheme here. I'll leave the Linux-isms to Linux.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Let me see if I understand this: Slices in FreeBSD are kind of like traditional partitions and FreeBSD partitions are like sub-partitions? This is how I read the Handbook section on allocating disk space.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Toiletbrush posted:

More like the other way around. You slice regular partitions. At least I think.

According to this, it seems slices = primary partitions and partitions (in FreeBSD) = logical partitions. There can be only 4 slices and as many partitions within the slices as you want or can have (at least that's the impression I get). This way appears to be the simplest method of looking at it that I've found. That and the naming scheme goes [physical disk name][slice number][slice partition] (i.e. ad0s1a, ad0s2a, etc.).

The slice mechanism seems to be a rather nice little way of doing things as opposed to the Linux way which is basically to make as many disk-level partitions as needed for your mount points (at least that's how I've been doing it; then again, I haven't really gone any further than separate /usr and /var partitions).

P.S. The more I read the Handbook, the more I love it. :love:

EDIT: Temporary Internet malfunction almost made me double-post. Whew.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 12, 2008

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Word around the Internet is that FreeBSD's Samba performance is not as good as Linux. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm asking because if there's ever a need to replace my current Linux box, I want to know that FreeBSD can perform just as well, if not better.

Side note: I'm about 2/3 of the way through the Handbook (not counting the appendices and such). I'm just wondering how much it has been updated for 7.0, not that I imagine stuff from 6.3 wouldn't apply.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

EvilMoFo posted:

i have not read the entire handbook and i can safely say that all (but 1) of my friends that use freebsd are in the same boat
when i encounter a problem/something new i look there first and then google
im not the reading type so maybe that explains my sheer amazement that someone would want to read the entire handbook

Well, some of the chapters have mostly been "Do you have hardware x? Install software y to use it!" which makes for a rather dull read since there are things I don't even have (TV tuner cards). It's nice for a reference but I'm kind of skipping through stuff like that to get to the real stuff (Administration and networking -- the last third of the handbook).

The other reason I'm reading more of the Handbook is that I don't really have a reason to implement FreeBSD right now on anything I have. My Arch Linux box is working fine enough (the cardinal "If it's not broken, don't fix it" rule) and I don't have a fourth computer to act as a screw-around box. That leaves me with a VMWare installation which I'm futzing around in now.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Is there some easy way to remove a lot of packages without typing out pkg_delete [package] a million times? My first thought was to go back into the ports collection and do make uninstall but that doesn't work at all (feels like it should though).

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

You can always try pkg_cutleaves. It's basically a script that cycles through the ports tree, asking whether you want to delete each package that it finds that nothing else depends on. When one loop is done, it cycles back through with any new "orphaned" packages it finds.

It sounds complicated, but it's not, so here's a half-assed example: I have php5 and a single extension (i.e. php5-mysql) installed. The first round asks if I want to nuke php5-mysql, so I do. Since it's now gone and there's nothing else that requires php5, the second loop will now give me the option to remove php5.

It's a pretty efficient and safe way to prune down installed ports.

Now that's how I imagined a make uninstall from within the ports tree would work, more or less. Thanks for the link.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Interestingly enough, it looks like setting up FreeBSD to do the same things my Arch Linux box does now is going to be way the hell easier than how I did it with Arch to begin with. So I think I'll do that.

EDIT: Also, I'm curious. What exactly would one use NetBSD for, compared to Free or Open? Like if you had some obscure platform you needed BSD for and the others wouldn't work?

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 19, 2008

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I'm happy to report that my file server is now running FreeBSD and I'm listening to my music as if I had never left Arch Linux. Up next: Gateway/NAT functionality.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Here's a rather subjective question: Do people tend to use the software that's installed in the base more than anything you can get for ports? For example, if I wanted to set up a FTP server, should I bother using the built-in one or should I get something like ProFTPD from ports?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

timb posted:

vsftpd

It's amazing.

To answer your question better, I always do "Minimal" installs, which basically means SSH and DNS are the only base services I end up using.

I don't remember what I did (probably a typical install) but I'll look for a minimal option next time I do. And I'm fairly sure I've heard of VSFTP before so I'll check that out.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Perhaps I should be asking what the criteria are for inclusion in the FreeBSD base then.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

SmirkingJack posted:

Long story short, running them in parallel and continously synced so one will automatically pick up when the other fails would be ideal, but isn't going to happen.

Forgive me for being a newbie at FreeBSD/the slight derail, but isn't failover essentially what CARP is for? Or is there some other issue precluding you from using that? :confused:

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 10, 2008

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

EvilMoFo posted:

that is for the (pf) firewall and not for a webserver

Ah, gotcha. I got confused because it said "In some configurations, this may be used for availability or load balancing." Carry on.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I seem to be having trouble with a NFS mount between my FreeBSD server and my Ubuntu laptop.

My entry in /etc/exports on FreeBSD is:

code:
/usr/home/matt/Files  -alldirs  -network 172.16.5.0  -mask 255.255.255.0
172.6.5.0/24 is my internal side of the network (I'm running this on my gateway/router box; not good practice, I know).

My Ubuntu laptop gets the following command:

code:
sudo mount.nfs 172.16.5.1:/usr/home/matt/Files /home/matt/Files -w
It mounts fine as read-only but I cannot create a folder or a new file anywhere in the directory structure. There's no error message in /var/log/messages on the server and looking at /etc/mtab on my laptop, there's an appropriate entry for the NFS mount complete with nfs rw,addr=172.16.5.1 0 0 options. I set up the server via the Network File System chapter in the FreeBSD handbook.

I missed something stupidly easy here, didn't I? This is my first attempt at trying NFS.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Ninja Rope posted:

A couple of NFS notes:

1) Your user UID and GID should be the same on both machines. Run "id" as you on both machines and make sure the UID and GID on each are the same. If they're not, NFS will think you are someone you're not, and this can cause permission errors. There are a few ways to work around this, if this is the cause of the problem.

2) For security reasons, the root account is treated specially over NFS and is mapped (usually) to "nobody", or another service account, which usually has read-only access across the filesystem. If you're logged in as root on the Ubuntu machine, this could be part of the problem. Try not to use root over NFS, but if you must, you can use the maproot command in exports to tell the server that when a client tries to access a file as root, it should treat that as if a different local user were accessing the file. You can use -maproot=root to disable this feature.

1) It would appear that the UID and GID on my FreeBSD machine is 1003 whereas it's 1000 on my Ubuntu laptop. So that appears to be a start to fixing the problem. But I'm not entirely sure on how to change those values. Off to :google: I suppose.

2) Would invoking the mount via sudo cause a problem like this? Believe me, I don't want to use the root user over NFS if I don't have to. I'll look into the maproot exports option just in case though. Thanks.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
So from the sound of it, it can be a fairly big, complicated problem to keep all these UIDs in sync if you're running multiple *NIX machines.

Ninja Rope posted:

:words: about changing UIDs

Both are free so I'm going to change the Linux machine around. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

EDIT: Somehow, I get the feeling that if both machines were Linux or both were FreeBSD, this wouldn't have come up, right?

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 6, 2008

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I finally got around to changing my user's ID on my laptop and now my NFS mount works perfectly. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
If I wanted to put FreeBSD on my laptop (not going to at the moment, but just for the sake of discussion), is it possible that I can NFS mount my server's ports tree so I can update that only once and have my FreeBSD laptop access it or would that cause issues somehow?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
It seems the FreeBSD foundation put up a set of official forums: http://forums.freebsd.org/.

Also, I've been kind of interested in DragonFly BSD and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and that Hammer filesystem.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
In addition, I found the 7.1-RELEASE release notes.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
It would appear that ZFS version 13 got committed to FreeBSD 7-STABLE. So yeah, have at it those of you who are using it.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

vlack posted:

rtorrent frontend troubles

I tried to do this a while ago too. For some reason, I wasn't able to get the SCGI module loaded in Apache. If I get some time this weekend, I think I'll have another go at it, since I don't think I'll be moving away from Screen + rTorrent anytime soon.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

vlack posted:

Did you ever make this work? I got loving nothing.

Fake edit: Meant to say: I get no error message saying that mod_scgi didn't load or anything like that, just "File does not exist: /usr/local/www/htdoc/default/RPC2" every five seconds.

Haven't had time to try it, sadly. Getting ready to transition to a new job can suck away all the free time you have.

EDIT: What I really should do, if I get a large chunk of time, is reinstall Apache under a jail. I'll see about getting MOD_SCGI working first.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 4, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Is PC-BSD out of the running?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
DragonFly BSD version 2.6 is released. I need to fire up my virtual machines for all the BSDs and get them updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

porkface posted:

You know you don't need to cultivate live samples, right?

You can grow new ones from seed in about 60 minutes.

I thought you couldn't make new VMs with just VMWare Player?

EDIT: Holy Hell in a hand basket, when did they add that? I must have been on an old-rear end version of VMWare Player.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 6, 2010

• Locked thread